Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Metered Parking Rate Hike in South Beach after October 1

In an effort to encourage locals and visitors to visit South Beach, the parking mafia is now charging you *MORE* money for that impossible to find parking spot at a meter south of 23rd street. Ah, those days of not paying after midnight are long gone. Your reprieve is now only between 3 am and 9 am, when, most likely, you'll be doing the walk of shame and don't care.

The current parking meter rates are: $1.50 per hour.

All metered parking south of 23rd Street (Dade Boulevard), from Ocean Drive to the westernmost parking lane of Alton Road, between South Pointe Park and 17th Street; and from 17th Street to 21st Street (Sunset Harbour Drive) from Alton Road to the westernmost parking areas along Purdy Avenue and to Biscayne Bay.

All metered parking in the South Beach Parking area is enforced from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 a.m., seven days per week.

Well, that really sucks.

Me and my friends take advantage of the midnight cut off, we don't usually head out till then anyway. So that has screwed that up!

Its changing to 3am now? Damn... most of the meters say they are in effect from 9am to midnight as of right now. If you own a scooter you can park free in any residential area which helps because they are usually a block or 2 from all the action. Anything to make a buck huh?

It changed to 3 am as of October 1st. Are you sure scooters don't get ticketed if not parked in a designated motorcycle spot? I know motorcycles have designated spots in certain lots.

Default Re: Metered Parking Rate Hike in South Beach after October 1

Yup. After getting a ticket for parking wrong I cleared up all questions I had about parking my scooter. You have to park the same way a car parks. Taking up a full spot (not facing the curb either) or you can get a ticket. However you do not need a residential sticker to park in any residential area with a scooter if you park correctly. The scooter / motorcycle spots are very nice but you don't have to park in them

I knew there was something to it ... thanks for clarifying. So you DON'T need a pass, but you DO have to park correctly, just like a car would.

Angry Re: Metered Parking Rate Hike in South Beach after October 1

This just sucks 3am???.......they might as well make you pay all night!!!!!

Wow. The City really has no shame, does it? I wouldn't be surprised if they start taking over residential parking spots and putting in meters as well.

ya that would not surprise me either. hell its already $30 to $200 a month to park your car in the street if you are a resident. (depending on what zone you are in) I never thought id hear that a person has to pay to park their car in the street infront of their apartment)

yup Maria, that's right! A lot of people do park facing the curb and honestly the parking patrol people dont usually ticket them for parking like that but they def CAN. I have seen a ticket on their scooters on rare occasion. So its up to you if you want to risk it. Sometimes I park it like that if Im going to check out an apartment really quick and its less than like 3 min that Im leaving my scooter. I try to park away from cars so they dont knock over my bike too. Also a lot of people think scooters can just park anywhere and get mad when they take up a whole parking spot and people can be jerks and knock your scooter over because because they are pissed so I really think about the way Im parking and where Im parking my scooter before I do.
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 10-07-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Being a relative newcomer, I don't see what the big deal is.

It seems most people show up at places starting around 12-1am, so they're paying $3-4.50 to park.

The only real drawback I see is if the meters have a 1 hour time limit. Now that would suck.

I guess if you start your night earlier, then it would suck.

rtoledo, try finding a meter at 12-1 a.m. on a weekend. You have to get to the beach by like 9 to find a meter, then you're paying 5 hours. No fun.

And where is it $200 a month to park on the street. I've NEVER heard of that.

Im sorry. its $179.85 not $200. I guess I was rounding up. Its zone one/ ocean drive. RESIDENTIAL PARKING PERMIT APPLICATION ZONE 1- 4 is a link to the application for those lucky people who are applying for that. LOL. The top of the application says October and with that and for some other reason I was thinking it is a monthly fee but then seeing the expiration dates I guess it is for a little under a year and the price seems to depend on how long you want your permit to last for. (like through the summer or not) So ya it looks like I was a little off on this one. LOL. sorry. Hey it looks like zone 5 is even more but last about a year http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/WorkArea....aspx?id=35746 I don't know. Paying to park in the street at all when you are a resident living right there where you park just seems crazy to me. :p
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 10-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    rtoledo, try finding a meter at 12-1 a.m. on a weekend. You have to get to the beach by like 9 to find a meter, then you're paying 5 hours. No fun.

And where is it $200 a month to park on the street. I've NEVER heard of that.
    Point taken. That's why I live here.

Even 5 hours is only $7.50. Again, I don't see the big deal. Seems like a bargain to me. I'd kill to pay for that kind of parking in Boston.

Also, you're going to be paying $20 for your drinks anyways.

This is why I didn't want to own a car. Too much hassle and if you want to drink, you bum a ride or be the designated driver.

When I lived on the Beach (at Michigan and 7th), I would never think about parking at a meter on Collins or Washington. I would just walk. My only expense was the cost of the residential parking permit.

Instead of spending thousands of dollars on flashy projects, the money would be better spent on some kind of public monorail type transit that connected with the Metro and/or Tri-Rail! They also need to create metro transportation from the airport to South Beach. It would help abate the parking crisis on the Beach, which would help local businesses bring in more customers.

But maybe the rate hike and time extension will encourrage people to carpool when they head out to South Beach...and that would make for less drunk drivers which is always a plus.

There is a bus that only stops once that goes from South Beach to the airport. I'm not sure how much it's taken. But the public transport option exists.

yup ^ the airport flyer. I think its $2.25

This is why I didn't want to own a car. Too much hassle and if you want to drink,
    exactly! i have the scooter for errands and if i want to drink I walk / and / or take the sobe local bus. when you live in sobe there is no excuse to drink and drive because you can walk or hop a 25 cent bus to the clubs/bars

The airport bus is $2.35

And I would walk more at night when I go out but heels hurt after about 5 blocks

Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo71 View Post
    Being a relative newcomer, I don't see what the big deal is.

It seems most people show up at places starting around 12-1am, so they're paying $3-4.50 to park.

The only real drawback I see is if the meters have a 1 hour time limit. Now that would suck.

I guess if you start your night earlier, then it would suck.
    The big deal is that it went from $1, to $1.25 to now $1.50 during a relatively short period of time.

If you are into clubbing, I would imagine you factor in your parking costs as part of your lifestyle. Flat rate parking in the garages for $15 after 8 PM on the weekends seems reasonable if you're into that lifestyle.

But what of the average joe or tourist? The cost of parking in South Beach during prime time is a serious deterrent from supporting business there. Not to mention a pain in the ass.

This metered rate is for ALL of South Beach. So if you want to visit a friend on West Avenue and park at a meter, you have to pay that rate. It's not just near the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonSoBe View Post
    Paying to park in the street at all when you are a resident living right there where you park just seems crazy to me. :p
    South Beach was not designed for such a high volume of cars. If they didn't charge residents and it was a free-for-all, residents would have even harder time finding parking because all the visitors would take up spots.

This only happens in South Beach, by the way. Go up a few blocks into mid-beach and there is no charge to park on the streets and meters are free after 6 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast