Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to live in Kendall?

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Where to live in Kendall???

Hammocks, Crossings or anywhere inbetween is a great place to start looking. Did you want a house, townhouse, apartment? Did you want to be closer to colleges or schools or work? Do you have kids?

I hope you have a car!

Don't.

That's the best suggestion I can give you. Why, WHY? WHY?!!! are you opting to live in Kendall? It's huge and sprawling, so all joking aside maybe telling us where you'll be working or what your priorities are can help us direct you better.

But Good GOD man, KENDALL?!!! Was Orlando just a little too eccentric for you?

Where would your work be? I personally like Kendall. Almost everybody I know lives here. Matt has said he lived in Little Havana and personally I would want to live in Kendall a million times more than I would want to live in Little Havana, Allapattah, Hialeah, etc. Kendall is a much nicer community. But yeah it's really big too.

Default Re: Where to live in Kendall?

Well im working at baptist hospital. I recently visited the area, and commuted from upper east side to Bapist during rush hour and that really blew. I figure id rather be close to work and drive a few min to the beach.

Yeah, I guess if you're at Baptist, that makes sense. Look into communities around there, it's not a bad area safety-and-amenity wise. I would try and live as close to either the Turnpike, Snapper Creek or Palmetto Expressway as you can, though. The more street traffic you can eliminate on your drives out of Kendall the better.

The best midway point for you to live would be Coconut Grove or South Miami.

Julie1 is right, Kendall might be boring suburbia, but it beats living Allapattah or Hialeah.

Are you looking for a condo or a house? They have a lot of new condos in the Dadeland area, which they now call Downtown Kendall.

There is also Pinecrest, which is a little south, and check out the area near Bird Road and 87th Avenue, which is Westchester, because you can just drive down 87th to get to work.

Well actually im looking to rent an apartment. Im going to be pretty poor, and I know im pretty much screwed. Baptist has free housing ( next to the hospital) for 90 days that ill be living in so Ill have from december 1st -90 days to find a place. Im hoping I can find something private to rent, and speaking of which, is there a local paper/website for South Miami or Kendall similar to lets say, the coconut grove grapevine that might have apartment listings on/in it?

Thanks

Those areas have community newspapers but I'm not sure about websites. If you got free housing for 90 days, that's more than enough time to find a place.

It's so much easier to find something when you're already here. I'm sure Baptist has a bulletin board where places are listed.

You'll easily find something in Kendall. Just try to remain as east as possible because the further west you get, deeper into a dead end you get.

I live in Kendall (East), my boyfriend lives in Kendall (West), and I have friends who live in Kendall (South).

West Kendall is suburban, but it's still pretty urban down 88th st (i.e. Kendall Drive) with different shopping plazas and restaurants. The houses are nice but small and close together. It's quiet but there's still a lot of apartments along 88th st and it would be a little cheaper. I like living in East Kendall, i.e. Dadeland because it's convenient to major highways, Dadeland Mall, has a really good publix, etc. But it's more expensive to live in an apartment here. Anyways YOU ARE DEFINITELY MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE LIVING IN KENDALL IF YOU ARE WORKING AT BAPTIST. lol. Sorry but I had to highlight that. You can live in either West or East Kendall (both are like a 5-10 min commute!). Basically Kendall is suburbia but I just went to south beach this weekend and it was fun but personally I don't want to live there. You can see all the miami areas anyways. South Miami, Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, etc. are all other places you can live, just rent a place in Kendall for the first year and then afterwards you can check out other areas and move if you want to. Good luck!!!!

West Kendall, though, leaves you a looooongs trek from other stuff you might want to see, though. Stay as close to US-1 as possible.

It only takes about 15-20 min to get from US-1 to west kendall down 88th st though

There are tons of apartments just one block shy or so west of the Palmetto. That's very close to Baptist and in the mornings you'd be going against traffic. There are also tons of apartments just east of the Palmetto as well behind and around Dadeland -- older complexes that may be more economical than the newer high-rise ones. Off of 72nd avenue around Kendall Drive and Snapper Creek, there are numerous apartment complexes there as well. I suggest a thorough drive around and looking for vacancy signs.

Downtown South Miami is my favorite but it may not be in your budget range unfortunately. There are a number of apartment complexes however right behind US1 behind the strip malls between SW 62nd and 72nd avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie1 View Post
    It only takes about 15-20 min to get from US-1 to west kendall down 88th st though

LOL ... twenty minutes too many ... plus another 20 or so just to get to I-95. I'm happy life in Kendall is working out for you though. And yes, you're right the beach is always there for the weekends.

lol yeah I see what you mean, but then again I think there is a turnoff to the turnpike on 88th street in west kendall. where I live is convenient to the turnpike and the palmetto and US-1, so it's really central

The turnpike is accessible way west around 117th street. But you can take the Snapper Creek Causeway to Don Shula which eventually hooks up to the Turnpike.

To get to the beach from where you live, just take 826 north to 836 east to 395 causeway, if you want to avoid US1.

Want a real treat but a long way to drive to beach? Take SW 57th ave south and make a left turn on Old Cutler, which curves around and will take you back north. Then take Old Cutler, Ingraham Highway, Main Highway, Bayshore Drive, Brickell and Biscayne Boulevard to the beach. It's gorgeous!!! (You are basically driving along the bay, although with the lush foliage you can't see the water until you get to Coconut Grove Marina).

Just FYI, the Snapper Creek is SunPass and Toll-by-plate now. So if you take it and don't have a SunPass, expect a bill in the mail. I think it's like 75 cents.

What is Toll-by-Plate? I saw signs for that a few weeks ago, and figured it is another word for SunPass? Anyway, I have SunPass. Is Toll-by-Plate the same thing?

Thanks.

Glenn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast