Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Living in Miami Beach - 1 month reflections!

We've now lived in South Beach for one month.

We've been to some cool clubs but the covers have been outrageous $20-25 a person. How can we get in for cheaper? Guess I need to know someone. I have gotten in for cheaper if I come earlier. But who wants to go to a club when its not hoppin!

We tried to go to Nikki Beach for Brunch yesterday in the rain. It was packed. So we left. Also, they wanted $20 (!) to valet park. No thanks!

I have become a big baby when it comes to walking. I now consider anything further than 5 blocks away "far".

We took a cab seven blocks to the club. I didn't want to make Pam walk that far in girly shoes! Maybe we should get a scooter? Will it get stolen if I leave it out at night? I don't think our condo allows me to bring it inside the gates. I do think that would be a cool way to get around to the clubs as long as I am not drinking too much.

The Miami Beach library is actually really cool. I checked out some books about south beach, (beats buying them considering I will only read them once) and they have free wifi.

We took windsurfing lessons at rickenbacker causeway. It was two hours and we could do it by the end of the lesson!

Rickenbacker Causeway is also a good place to take your dog. You can park right on the water and there seem to be few regulations.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Hunson,

Great pic!

It is really easy to get spoiled when everything is within walking distance. Besides, Pam's feet would hurt before she even got to the club.

As far as a scooter being safe if not inside the gates of your apartment, that is doubtful. Anything that isn't locked down, will disappear - and so will everything that is locked down but small enough to carry, ride, or push away. TRUST ME. After 5 bikes and 4 car break-ins later, I learned my lesson!

Just yesterday, Gus and I went to Sailboards Miami. I saw the sign that says they can teach you to windsurf in 2 hours. I was wondering if it was possible - I guess it is!

Have fun and keep us updated on how you are enjoying South Beach!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hunson, your reflections about living here are great. Thank you for sharing what it's like for you. The windsurfing lessons, the dog beach, and the free wifi tips are very useful.

We've been to some cool clubs but the covers have been outrageous $20-25 a person. How can we get in for cheaper? Guess I need to know someone.
    Yes, to get in free, you need to know someone, but there are plenty of people you can meet.

Previoulsy, Cameo (Crobar) had a very friendly guest list policy for locals. Before, you could just call them on Friday afternoon and ask to be put on the list. I'll call them this week and see what they say.

As for the other clubs, some have newsletters you can sign up for.

Opium has an RSS feed.

Many DJs and Promoters have MySpace pages.

Do you have any friends that work in hotels or restaurants?

I have become a big baby when it comes to walking. I now consider anything further than 5 blocks away “far”.
    Buy a cheap bike.

We tried to go to Nikki Beach for Brunch yesterday in the rain. It was packed. So we left. Also, they wanted $20 (!) to valet park. No thanks!
    Is Nikki Beach known for having a good indoor brunch? I'm curious why you'd choose to go there if it was raining?

Paying to valet on a Sunday morning...no way. Hey, biking there would be free. All you need is a lock.

We took a cab seven blocks to the club. I didn't want to make Pam walk that far in girly shoes! Maybe we should get a scooter? Will it get stolen if I leave it out at night?
    I think taking a scooter to a nightclub late at night is a bad idea for a few reasons...it getting stolen being the least of them (and it will get stolen). I've always felt you can get much more use from a bicycle. When I lived in South Beach, most of my inter city transportation was going to the beach. What's cool about having a bike is you can take it with you right on the sand.

After living here a month, what is Pam and your 3 favorite places to eat?

Suzanne C

We took a cab seven blocks to the club. I didn't want to make Pam walk that far in girly shoes! Maybe we should get a scooter? Will it get stolen if I leave it out at night?
    Hunson:

A) Pam's a lucky gal to have someone so considerate of her needs.

B) Don't take a scooter to a club. People are cretins. They drink. They take drugs. They'll pee on your scooter and laugh because they're drunk and think it's funny. They'll kick it in a coke-induced fit of rage after they get tossed from a club for acting like idiots. They'll steal ole Scoot to either sell it for some crack or get a few miles to buy some crack. Vandalism odds are greater though. Also, parking would be a bi**h.

C) Along the people are cretins line, there are tons of drunks out there- drunks on the road. There is NOTHING between you and a car (or the pavement for that matter) and your fiberglass helmet is only so thick. Scooter, 'Danger' is my middle name, ride...

d) Pam must have nice shoes.

New User

does this go for motorcycles as well Suzy? once i get down there i plan to get a motorcycle but is theft that serious down there? Are there a lot of motorcycles out there and can u ride year round weather wise?

as a former motorcycle rider I think it would be way too hot during the summer that is if you actually wanted to ride safely, long pants, helmet, jacket...

Also, parking a motorcycle looks difficult given the limited parking and sidewalk space.