Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Renting a condo South of Fifth

Hello,

I am planning on visiting Miami for approximately 3 months and would like to rent a place south of fifth. Besides craigslist, where can I find some good places to rent from? Also, with a maximum budget of $3000 per month what kind of place can I hope to rent? Ideally, the place would be 2 bedrooms but if not a large 1 bedroom would also suffice.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

rk

With that budget you should be able to rent a 2 (and possibly 3) bedroom, 2 bath place, though probably not with ocean view (unless in an older or less desirable building), including a parking spot.

Here are a few links you can check:

http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/v...th-Florida.htm
    http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacat...h-Florida.html
    http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...st/miami-beach

Also, Miami Beach is one of the few places where you're free to haggle over your rent! The economy has created lots of vacancies at the moment, so it's a tenant's market.

3000 is plenty to get into any building south of fifth. RK is right, although if you look you can find a 2 BR for that. It also depends on what time of year you're coming. Summer, those types of rentals are a lot cheaper. March, you're gonna pay through the nose.

Default Re: Renting a condo South of Fifth

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    3000 is plenty to get into any building south of fifth.
    I doubt if you could get into RK's building, the Apogee for that amount. Certainly not into an apartment similar to his penthouse suite there.

Apogee Apt PHA For Rent or Lease - MLS #M1389931 - Zilbert Realty Group South Beach Real Estate and Miami Beach Property Showcase

New User

thanks for the replies. I'm looking to arrive fairly soon, as early as next week. Is October-December considered low season?

Aren't studios in the Continum $3000?

Oh, rk the Apogee is my favorite building from the outside..it's the one with all the fountains right? I've never been inside though.

Maybe for $3000 you could do a 2 bed in the Portifino..that building seems older to me. But I'm sure a lower floor with maybe partial views. Let us know which you decide on!

rk

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    Did I not ask all of you to eat cake at the Parisian?
    Christy, do not listen to Fred, he's just rubbing it in after securing PH-2 at Continuum. My only connection with Apogee is when I was chased away by the doorman for getting too close to the fountains.

$3k is a good budget, but sadly not enough to secure a 2-bed at the nicer ocean-front buildings. The cheapest available 2-br at Portofino right now is listed at $5500 pm (though there is a 1-br there for $3k). Even the Cosmopilatan (not waterfront) has 2-br for $4000 at the low end (though there are 1-beds for $1700 to $2300 depending on size). Continuum-1 and Continuum-2 have 1-beds starting at $4500.

jbrie, don't be discouraged by these numbers, there are plenty of smaller buildings where you can get in cheaper.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by jbrie View Post
    thanks for the replies. I'm looking to arrive fairly soon, as early as next week. Is October-December considered low season?
    October-Decmeber is shoulder season. If you're renting starting in October you should get a reasonable selection as the main crowd doesn't arrive until December. You can always bargain for lower rent as Doug pointed out.

I know, I love the fountains, but when you see how beautiful the landscaping is I'm sure you're paying at least $100 in monthly maitenance for the fountains..well worth it if you have the money!
    Last edited by Christy; 10-15-2010 at 06:48 PM.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Christy, do not listen to Fred, he's just rubbing it in after securing PH-2 at Continuum. My only connection with Apogee is when I was chased away by the doorman for getting too close to the fountains.

$3k is a good budget, but sadly not enough to secure a 2-bed at the nicer ocean-front buildings. The cheapest available 2-br at Portofino right now is listed at $5500 pm (though there is a 1-br there for $3k). Even the Cosmopilatan (not waterfront) has 2-br for $4000 at the low end (though there are 1-beds for $1700 to $2300 depending on size). Continuum-1 and Continuum-2 have 1-beds starting at $4500.

jbrie, don't be discouraged by these numbers, there are plenty of smaller buildings where you can get in cheaper.
    are these figures for monthly furnished rentals or are they unfurnished one year leases?

thanks again.

Thumbs up Re: Renting a condo South of Fifth

Yes, I love my space in the Apogee, the summer kitchen and my private rooftop pool especially!
    It is, no doubt, good to be you!

Default Useful website

I am not affilated with (nor did i use) South Beach Real Estate and Miami Beach Waterfront Luxury Condos by Zilbert Realty Group - Zilbert Realtors, Miami Beach Real Estate Agent, Condos for Sale, Condo

I find his website, however, one of the best around.

Pick a building and go to rentals rather than sales and you will find much useful information.

If the apartment is furnished or not should be clearly indicated.

rk

are these figures for monthly furnished rentals or are they unfurnished one year leases?
    Yes, those examples I posted were mostly unfurnished, and most are for 6 months or more. As Fred so ably suggested, visiting a reputable site like the one he suggested (or www.realtor.com) and entering your parameters may give you a feel for the market. Even then you'll find 6+ month rentals for the most part. For shorter term rentals try the three links I posted in my first post. Also, just because someone listed a place for 6 months doesn't mean they won't negotiate a 3 month rental. Keep in mind some buildings have a 6-month or 12-month minimum rental requirement in the HOA rules.

If you expand your area of search to include the West Ave corridor you'll find a lot more choices.

rk

It is, no doubt, good to be back in my PH-2 at Continuum for the season, enjoying the 360 degree view and ocean breeze from my rooftop garden, sipping Limited Edition Remy Martin cognac. This new Armani smoking jacket does suit me well, even though I don't smoke, and I am glad I bought it. Wonder how the neighbors are doing down there at the Apogee... almost need a telescope to see that far down... And what about rk, wonder if managed to scrape something together for his basement studio at the Parisian...
    Yes fred, getting by hand to mouth in the trenches.

How about the Flamingo towers on the bay? I've seen seasonal rentals in your price range, furnished, when I was browsing around for apartments. Unfortunately out of my budget, plus they don't allow my dog (size+breed restrictions) but I'd definitely think about renting there otherwise.

Exclamation Re: Renting a condo South of Fifth

Yes fred, it is good to be me
    The Flamingo is a complex and totally different 'vibe' as compared to south of fifth.

But, I concur with Lizy, short term furnished rentals there (and places like the roney and decoplage) are likely to be much more available.

New User

The Flamingo is a complex and totally different 'vibe' as compared to south of fifth.

But, I concur with Lizy, short term furnished rentals there (and places like the roney and decoplage) are likely to be much more available.
    Thanks Lizy, I'll be sure to check out the Flamingo.

Fred, I'm intrigued by your comment about the different 'vibe'. What exactly is the 'vibe' for south of fifth? The only thing I really know is that it's supposed to be more relaxed and less touristy than further up the beach. Also, how would the Flamingo differ? Thanks.

it's supposed to be more relaxed and less touristy than further up the beach
    jbrie, you are correct. That is the stereotype (and why RK lives in his penthouse at the apogee). It is also less transient and the larger buildings are newer.

The stereotype of the flamingo, and mind you I've never been in there, is a bit more crowded, younger, almost 'fraternity house' like. Really though, I'm sure its very nice but undoubtedly louder. There are more absentee owners and short term rentals are allowed by the condo boards. This opens up cheaper, furnished rentals, that cater to a younger population.

The same holds true for the roney and decoplage in terms of furnished short term rentals and ownership.

Croatbob, I believe looked in this area, so hopefully he will chime in!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by fredgarvin; 10-16-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks Lizy, I'll be sure to check out the Flamingo.
    Sorry, I forgot that you were looking for something in the SOFI area... Sure, the Flamingo is different, though I'm not sure why the vibe is so different there... I've never seen the place in person, just came across the ads when I was looking for apts and happened to like it with all the amenities and view and Flamingo park nearby, etc. . Check it out, maybe you'll get to like it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast