Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Where is the nearest DMV in South Beach?

Could someone please advise if they know of the nearest office to obtain a Florida Licence in South Beach Miami?
    Last edited by Jess; 10-18-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: retitled

The NEAREST one is probably the one at 7900 NW 27th Ave. But that is in one of the worst parts of Miami, and as such the wait is probably the worst in the city.

The North Miami Justice Center isn't a bad drive, and the line is never terrible. Just make sure you make an appointment. 15555 Biscayne Blvd.

Also, just so you know how to refer to it, just call it "South Beach." Throwing the word "Miami" in there anywhere makes you sound like a tourist.

The DMV is a nightmare if you live on the beach. Especially if you don't have a car. Do you need a FL ID, or a drivers license?

Check the mobile schedule and see if it is at Government Center or 11th and Washington soon. Those are your nearest places if you need only an ID card.

Default DMV info for non US citizens

Thanks very much well we ended up going online and visiting the centre that had an appointment available on the same day. For any non-us citizens be warned that even if you have a drivers license from your country, and an international drivers license you will need to take all tests etc again from scratch as if you had never driven a car.

Also, they have recently (January 2010 I think) increased the number of documents everyone needs (citizens and non-citizens), and for foreigners this means you also have to bring all your immigration paperwork with you, in addition to your passport with entry stamps.

This is despite the fact that their updated information on their website states that your travel documents with entry stamps is enough to show your immigration status.

When you have gathered all these documents they then get scanned and your license or FL ID card will be mailed to you in about a month but could be longer, because another officer higher up in the ranks somewhere else will have to peruse all your submitted documents and sign off on them, as the local DMV staff are not empowered to do this. If you are a US citizen though you can have your license / ID card on the spot.

Matzo, how long were you there, from the time you walked in the door to when you got back in your car?

Thanks for the update. I also had a license from another country and still had to do all the tests from scratch. I got my license on the spot luckily.

If it helps anyone, I went to Kendall DMV, near the small airport. I had an appointment luckily but the line was out the door. I was there roughly 2 hours for my tests (written and driving.)

Jess, I got this question today, how much did all of that cost you? The tests, license, etc.?

Default Re: Where is the nearest DMV in South Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Matzo, how long were you there, from the time you walked in the door to when you got back in your car?
    Only ended up applying for ID card as I didn't have the time to do all the other stuff and I am allowed to drive with my international license for the time being.

We arrived 45 minutes before our appointment and only just made it there as we had to go away to find a computer to locate and print the immigration docs. Once we had all that it took about another hour. Don't even think about rocking up without an appointment!

Default Re: Where is the nearest DMV in South Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Jess, I got this question today, how much did all of that cost you? The tests, license, etc.?
    I had to do the drug course online and that was $20. The license cost $48.

So there was no charge for taking the test?

No. I only paid at the end by check when they were printing my license for me. So I guess if I'd failed I wouldn't have paid anything.