Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Dear Matt and Jim, I love and respect you both, and seeing you argue like this hurts me.

Matt, that type of language, especially in regards to children would be offensive to many people, not to mention the religious people who take strong offense to that word.

Jim, knee jerk reactions, will only get a knee jerk response in return. If you disagree with Matt, please explain why. I realize you are speaking on behalf of our customers you meet on the bus, and I appreciate you feeling you need to defend them, but it's hard to see where you are coming from.

Please, let's all show each other more respect and be sensitive, not only to those commenting here, but also to those who are reading.

Christophe, I apologize for muddling up your thread. If I can figure out how to do it, I am going to split this off to a new thread.

Default Re: Back from 10 days in Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    it's real easy to think Miami is a place you can live when you're having dinner with models, staying at a suite at the Eden Roc and driving around in a rented Benz. Everyone thinks that when they're here on vacation. You know those areas you drove through on the way to the airport? THAT'S living in Miami. What you did was a vacation. So this is definitely a place you could come visit. Living here? That's a f*ck of a lot harder than having a nanny in a suite at the Eden Roc.
    Too funny! Even though Christophe didn't decide he wants to move to Miami while cruising around in a fancy car and partying with models, so many others do!

Matt,

I can see the reasons why people burn out and move. Perhaps I will feel that way in another 15 months. Im not sure. My husband has a lot of work here, we could pretty much stay for a long time. That said, there are other locations he could work as well, and we are having our first baby in a month so maybe we will want to move closer to our west coast family. I just take it as it goes, but I like Miami so far. I am not a club scenester type, am pretty laid back and really don't like cold climates.

" (2) The general lack of civility and politeness (co-workers, drivers, store clerks etc.)"

This bugs me about Miami. I find customer service to be super lacking here. Perhaps the service is in corrolation to job pay? I am not sure why it is that wait staff seems more rude then anywhere else, also store clerks. It does bug me though, and if anything drove me away perhaps with would be this. That and dying young from some crappy motorist. There certainly are plenty of those around....

I have to admit, I did take a little offense to referring to school kids as gang members. Those are my people, even if they might be a different color, which I assume they were.

And it's true what Matt says. That is the real Miami. It's not just glitz and the glam but it's the ghettos and the grime.

And it's everything in between.

You have to take the bad with the good and you have to recognize when somebody is a real threat to you as opposed to somebody who just might be living in a poverty-stricken neighborhood.

^^^^^ I totally agree with you Carlos.^^^^ I thought the gang/school kid thing was kinda over the top.

Jim

F__K school zones. All they do is cause traffic. If your goddam kid can't look both ways before he crosses the street, that's not my problem. They seriously oughta be eliminated.

And, yeah, guy, it's real easy to think Miami is a place you can live when you're having dinner with models, staying at a suite at the Eden Roc and driving around in a rented Benz. Everyone thinks that when they're here on vacation. You know those areas you drove through on the way to the airport? THAT'S living in Miami. What you did was a vacation. So this is definitely a place you could come visit. Living here? That's a f*ck of a lot harder than having a nanny in a suite at the Eden Roc.

But glad you enjoyed your trip.
    Crude language coming from an educated journalist. I especially find how you insensitive when referring to young persons when you write "goddam kid".

Could the point be made by saying "kid crossing the street"? Explain how the "goddam kid" gives us a picture that makes the story more interesting?

Or, is it a ploy for you to show us that you're some kind of South Beach Bad Boy Rebel Writer?

Tell me Matt? What gives? Are kids in school precious or are they goddam brats that should be run over and
    have little or no rights to be protected and cherished?

Enlighten us, you're wise beyond your years.
    Last edited by Jim; 10-20-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    And it's true what Matt says. That is the real Miami. It's not just glitz and the glam but it's the ghettos and the grime.
    I don't know why everyone seems so shocked by Matt's comments. He always offends people.

Even though Miami has the ghettos and grime as you say, chances are people relocating will not be moving there. Dangerous and poor neighborhoods exist in every city-no escaping that.

Carlos, what's the worst neighborhood in Miami?

The worst neighborhood is probably a toss-up between Opa-Locka, Liberty City, Overtown and parts of Miami Gardens.

Speaking of people who leave Miami after a couple of years, here's a piece in the WLRN blog about a local guy who meets a transplanted girl, only to have his heart broken when she leaves.

This is just an excerpt. Click on this link to read the whole thing.

“I don’t know how to say this. I feel like such a hypocrite, but I’m leaving.”

“What?” you ask. “Why?”

“My boss wants me in Chicago. They’re scaling down in Miami. It’s just not ripe yet. And to be honest, I jumped at the chance.”

The bus lurches forward, crossing Fifth Street.

“I need to be back in a city with a real Chinatown. A city where the major cultural event of the season is not a dog Halloween parade.”

“But I thought you liked Hallowoof,” you say. “And remember your idea about enough of us making it interesting here?”

“Yeah,” she nods and says, “But you don’t have to stay, though,
    You could…”

But she stops.

You both know four months isn’t long enough for an invitation to go with her.

Even so, you think about it for a minute, looking out the window. You roll it over in your mind and it almost seems possible. You want what she wants too. But your stomach sinks when you imagine going.

Your brother lives down the street from you and if you left, your niece and nephew would forget who you are. Your blood is too thin for the cold. And face it, you couldn’t work in a place where people show up on time and wear wool suits. In a city of overachievers, you’d sink like a stone.

Tanya squeezes your arm.

“I know why you won’t leave,” she says.

“Why?”

“A woman just got on the bus with a dog in a rhinestone sweater. She was dressed all in leopard down to her platforms. And it didn’t even register for you.”

You say, “That’s just Disco Diane. She…”

This time you’re the one who stops.

There’s no need to explain some things. You either understand, or you don’t.

And you finally get it.

Tanya is already gone, but you are here.

And this is where you are going to stay.

I was just going to link to that story Carlos ... good call.

So after reading these last comments, I wonder why so many people stay in FL? I mean, apart from the locals, I know of a lot of people who have moved to FL and never left. I think FL, like any other state has the good, the bad, and downright ugly. It’s not a place for everyone, but people should know that there's not a perfect place. Anywhere you move, there will always be something(s) that will get you pissed, but I guess it comes down to whether the good outweighs the bad for you. For me, I think FL will work, but then again, I was born and raised in the Caribbean so maybe my opinion is very biased. I am used to bugs, 100 degree weather 365 days a year, people being late, bad drivers, ect....MA sure has more culture, job prospect, higher salaries, and the like, but for me having all of that and being miserable 9 months out of the year because the weather SUCKS is just lame. On top of that, the taxes in this state are ludicrous!!!

So yes, I can see why FL is so transient with people who have been born or raised or at least spent a good chunk of their lives elsewhere in the US, but for me, FL is paradise, and I can't wait to be there in 2011! Will I move within 2 years? Well, I can’t predict the future, but I'll sure give FL my best shot.

I wonder if Matt is available for baby sitting services this weekend ?

I'm sure the shock jock is a teddy care with kids.

Angry haha

Yeah, when I have this baby Matt, will you come and watch it while I finally get to party it up at the SOBE clubs? I swear I got pregnant on my way moving down here (ugh. Jacksonville). I haven't even gotten properly introduced to a mojito...

First, Gus I'm sorry if the foul language was offensive. But given that you have let that go sooooo many times in the past, I thought it was acceptable. I was simply making light of the situation telling Jim "Freak You." Using a fake swear word to counter his complaint about my swearing. In all honesty, Jim, I really wasn't upset at all.

Jim, I hate kids. Period. I hate them the way a racist hates Blacks or a homophobe hates Gays. Like I don't even give them a chance. Pretty much despise every single one. That's why I never want any, and I don't like being around them. They ruin lives, inconvenience the lives of the childless, and pretty much ruin every situation they come into. They lie more than they tell the truth, but for some reason everyone seems to believe them anyway. I could write a book about this, but I will not apologize for hating kids. It's not a shock jock thing. It's a me straight up despising children thing.

Carlos, that article was borderline painful to read. Speaks for everyone down here. You have to make sacrifices to stay, and that may be the biggest one for most of us.

Laura, you got knocked up in Jacksonville on your way moving down? That's a friggin awesome story.

Speaking of people who leave Miami after a couple of years, here's a piece in the WLRN blog about a local guy who meets a transplanted girl, only to have his heart broken when she leaves.

This is just an excerpt. Click on this link to read the whole thing.
    Heard this on WLRN this morning and loved it

The worst neighborhood is probably a toss-up between Opa-Locka, Liberty City, Overtown and parts of Miami Gardens.
    Carlos, Overtown is not as bad as it once was. And certianly not as scary as Brownsville, for instance. Isn't there a big city office building in Overtown now? And I know they've cleaned up a bunch of the crack houses.

Default opa-locka

I hear opa-locka is having a re-birth. There was a story on how the barriers are being torn down to allow free access!

But it's still bad. I just wrote a story about an Overtown activist who said eight people have been gunned down within a half-block radius of a single street corner within the last year.

Activist Assaulted by Miami Police for Taking Photos | Pixiq

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Christophe, I apologize for muddling up your thread. If I can figure out how to do it, I am going to split this off to a new thread.
    Thank Gus...no worries... I found all this interesting and see a lot of humor ...In any case it's good to know what people really think.

I just paid my fine. You would think that with fines that expensive, the "Miami Dade Clerk" could customize the free(?) shopping cart software they are using...ha..ha

Here are some of the funny string during the process:

"Add Items to Shopping Basket" - I'll take a DUI with that!

"Clerk of Courts Shopping Basket - Payment Confirmation"

"Total Purchased Amount"

"An email has been sent to your mail box with details about your order."

The confirmation email:
    Receipt Details:
    Product Unit Price Quantity Amount
    Pay Citation: xxx $419.00 1 $419.00
    Total:
    $419.00 "

Maybe it's a marketing ploy, makes you feel like you just did some holiday shopping...he..he
    Last edited by christophe; 10-22-2010 at 12:58 AM.

New User

Jim, I hate kids. Period. I hate them the way a racist hates Blacks or a homophobe hates Gays.
    That hatred is usually based on ignorance and personal issues ...

PS: Thanks for those listing of "bad" neighborhoods of Miami.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast