Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 22 year old female relocating from Jersey to South Beach

Hello all! My name is Rachel and I am finally planning my move to South Beach in Jan/Feb 2011. I have been to Miami 4 times in the past 2 years and I fall more in love every time I visit. I understand it's always different visiting somewhere than actually living there. I'm looking to get advice and tips from people that picked up and relocated to Miami not having a job, place to live, or knowing anyone. I am looking for places to live and will start my job search about a month before the big move. I have money saved up so no worries, I plan to do this as responsibly as possible.

I love the atmosphere and diversity that Miami provides, I have started learning Spanish which I know will be necessary to live there. So all in all, just looking for some tips and suggestions from anyone that has been in my shoes! Thanks!

Hi Rachel,

What kind of work are you looking for? And how much will you have saved up?

New User

To be honest, I don't want to be too picky when trying to find work right away since I am focused on getting my feet on the ground. But my specialty is residential property management which I would love to get back into once I move. Like I said though, a job with decent pay and benefits will do fine for now. I also plan to work 2 jobs since I will be living alone and supporting myself. So a few nights a week in the nightlife industry is ideal, cocktailing, etc. I plan to have about 6-7K saved up by Jan. This will cover costs for the deposit and 1st months rent on my new place, plus enough money to have incase I cannot find work right away.

Jobs with benefits are hard to come by. That might take a a while.

I relocated two years ago like you are planning, and I love it. I did attempt to learn Spanish but gave it up soon after I moved. Having bi-lingual friends helps. Job wise it's tough but if you are prepared to take whatever job is going and don't mind being in the service industry then you have a better chance. It's the people who move here as accountants or lawyers etc, thinking Miami is NYC with palm trees that don't have a successful move.

I moved to South Beach without much of a savings and wrote a story about it here:

How I Moved to South Beach: Budget-Minded Tips from A New Resident - Miami Beach 411

I wrote this in 2007, but maybe some of these tips would still be useful to you! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Hi Rachel,

You might find work in the service industry before you fins anything in real estate. South Beach is a bit pricey, but you can find cheap places. Don't discount having roommates.

I think it kind of balances out with the priciness with much of mainland Miami, really. South Beach is more in demand, but there is more rental housing stock all in one place, too, so it kind of evens out. I found Coconut Grove pricer than South Beach as far as rents go.

Definitely read Doug's story. It's what inspired me to get off my sofa and get to Miami Beach!

Hey Rachel,

I really think you'd have to speak Spanish to do property management, just because of all the people you'd be interacting with. Search jobs online and see what the requirements are. Maybe consider working in a leasing or real estate sales office, but you'd need a real estate license. You can do a 2 week online class.

And so many girls want jobs as cocktail waitresses...

Moving in Jan/Feb means you'll encounter high season rates. But if you plan to stay one year, you can negotiate a lower rent. Coming down with a cushion of money is smart, but be sure to budget for going out. You'll want to meet new people and that means spending money on nights out.

I'd suggest flying down to choose your apartment before you move. You won't feel rushed and the best benefit is using your new address on your resume/job application.
    Last edited by Christy; 11-08-2010 at 10:41 AM.

New User

Default Re: 22 year old female relocating from Jersey to South Beach

Hi Rachel, and welcome (well almost!) to SoBe!
    Jobs down here are HARD to come by. Cocktail/bartending jobs are especially difficult since you need to be a bombshell to get hired by most places, and the nicest places, like clubs/hotels is where you'll make decent money.
    And I agree that if you plan on getting back into your industry you WILL need to learn Spanish.
    But don't fret, with a little savings you'll have enough time to hit the pavement (and believe me you will need to work to get a job) and find a job.
    Best of luck!

Service industry jobs are pretty close to impossible to land if you come during season. Everybody form up north is coming down looking for work in the sun. So unless you know somebody, you're in for a looong process. Even then, you may or may not make enough to make rent. There may be a job for you, but it may not be one that pays enough.

Insofar as real estate, yeah, Spanish is a MUST. Because guess what the second most popular occupation of people moving down here because they loved it on vacation is? You guessed it! Real Estate! Sou you are essentially in line with a few thousand other people who came down here hoping to land some sort of job. You're going to need some connections or at lease a networking base to get going here. I would recommend $8000 saved up, at least. Sometimes you just end up in the right place at the right time and find a job, but more often than not, it ends up being a fruitless endeavor. And once the money runs out, people head back up north.

I'm not saying don't come. I'm saying determination isn't enough to live here. And, yeah, living here is 180 degrees from visiting. My advice, lock down a job that pays 3x your expected rent before you come down. Otherwise, it's gonna be a short stay.