Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Geo-Chemistry jobs in Miami, Florida?

Hi there. I'm a (relatively) young fella from northern Europe, in my mid-twenties, and I'm flirting with the idea of moving to the US. I've recently been thinking of warmer climates, guess I'm tired of arctic temperatures, so Miami was obviously something which seems interesting.

I was just wondering about a few things. Firstly how hard is it getting a job? I've got a Master of Science in geo-chemistry. Secondly how expensive is living there? Renting a flat etc. when you're one person? Thirdly, how is it like living there? Pro and cons etc.

Cheers for any replies

Edit: Sorry, I just realised I posted in the wrong section. If anyone could move the thread please do!
    Last edited by Gus; 11-08-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Hi Mr. T,

Welcome to MiamiBeach411! Yes everyone loves the idea of moving to Miami for a change in life and the great weather! It takes some work though. First you'd have to get a work visa. What does one with a geo-chemistry degree do? I'd look into one of the Universities for guidance on where science jobs are.
    Also, subscribe to monster.com, careerbuilder.com, to get a look at salaries and job requirements. You may have to speak Spanish.

As far as the apartment, you can get a decent one bedroom for $1,200-more if you want it furnished.

Pros of Miami-the beach!, everyone is friendly because they just moved here too, great nightlife and dining, the rent is cheap compared to places like NY and LA.

Cons-going out can be expensive, and the population is transient-but that's what makes most people so friendly!

New User

Cheers for the reply!

I know a little bit of spanish and speak three other languages, but I guess spanish is key.

I'll look into what you just said! I expected the city to be fairly multi-cultural. If I'm brutally honest, I've always loved Cuban rythm, music etc. ( also a Chilean girl if I going there haha), so all this actually makes it better. But thanks for giving me such a quick response!

rk

Default Re: Geo-Chemistry jobs in Miami, Florida?

What does someone with a Geo-Chemistry degree do for a career? I would check out the Univ. of Miami website for science jobs. Obviously life here is pretty great, warm weather and a lower cost of living. The job market here is OK, like not a good as a lot of major cities in the US but there's still def enough places where you can get a job in your field or a related one...

Julie is right, look at UM and maybe NOAA in terms of jobs in your field.

Miami is not really multi-cultural. It's pretty much all Latin culture. Which, you know, you may like the music and the food, but you better be ready to live and breathe it every day. Like if you want to get away from it, too bad. Living here is actually more like living in a homogenous Latin American city than a diverse US City. If you like that idea, living somewhere like Mexico City or Santo Domingo, this may work for you. If you want something like New York, this is not the place for you. It's Latin dominated, so be ready.

Pros - Weather, beach, nightlife

Cons - People are for the most part uneducated. Serive is inefficient and slow. People are, for the most part, pretty rude. Service is terrible (yes, I know I said it twice). Incompetance is tolerated. And you run into a LOT of people who don't speak English