Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Can you go on the beach and/or swim at any hours of the night?

n/t

Technically, the beach closes at dusk. But unless you're making a racket, the police generally wont stop you from going on there. It's part of our tourist appeal. Kinda like how technically walking down the street with a drink is illegal, but you have to be doing something wrong to get stopped.

That being said, if you go swimming, LEAVE YOUR STUFF AT HOME. People roam the beach looking for late night swimmers and shaggers to steal their wallets and purses. So while police probably wont stop you, the loss of your money and ID might.

Do you mean Miami Beach? There are over 825 miles of beach in Florida!

We have a thread on the beach scene at night that you should probably read: The Skinny on Late Night Beach Romps on South Beach (Photo)

Personally, I would not swim at night. That's prime dining hours for big fish. And then of course, there's the "sharks" on the sand, as Matt pointed out. It's 100% guaranteed your stuff will get stolen if you leave it out there. This is in SOUTH BEACH though ... different story on different beaches all over the state.

Default Re: Can you go on the beach and/or swim at any hours of the night?

I am a night swimmer, however I was more curious about metal detecting on either miami beach, or crandon park between lets say 11pm and 5am. The people dont scare me, I would just like to avoid any interaction with the fuzz if you know what I mean.

I'd be more worried about being eaten to be honest.

Hey Protection,

I'm curious, when you do metal detection do you wear a black scuba suit, a light by your head and stay in the very shallow area of water near the sand?

I've seen guys doing that before and always wondered what they were up to. I've been swimming at night and it was fine-no scary fish. My friends, and a lot of others did have their belongings stolen-but the thieves are nice enough to leave ID's and credit cards by the lifeguard stand. So I'd wear some sort of waterproof fanny pack if something like that exists.

You can't even get to the Beach in Crandon that late, I think, because the parking lot is closed and barred-off. you'd have to go to like Hobie beach, and I don't think the metal detection there is gonna be too good. Plus, it's right on the road so one cop drives by and you're screwed. I think South Beach is your better bet.

Maria, worried about getting eaten? In 8 feet of water? You sound like my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Maria, worried about getting eaten? In 8 feet of water? You sound like my mother.
    I said that actually, and yeah, I am scared of sharks!

Ohhhh. Well then, you sound like my mother.

Ohhhh. Well then, you sound like my mother.
    Be nice when you talk about your mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is nice, Fred. She's very nice to warn me about getting eaten by sharks in 5 feet of water.

Well most shark attacks do happen in 3 feet or less of water and sharks are more active at night... but still the odds are so low that it will happen i wouldn't worry about it.

It used to be that you could stroll around South Beach at all hours without being bothered by the police, but no more. Every single time I've been out there after 12 am, they've come up to me and asked me what I was doing and told me to clear the beach. I see the guys with the metal detectors going up and down the beach in the mornings after 5 am when the beach is open. Maybe you would be less noticed during your preferred hours further north on Miami Beach, but there's probably less "booty" to be found because they aren't as crowded.

Dude, night time is ground zero for predatory fish feeding. In fact, if you want to catch a shark while shore fishing, that's when you go. Bait the hook with half a 'cuda or some similar fish, take the bait out (you don't cast, but can use a row boat or wade) and then just wait. I used to fish out of the jetty in South Pointe late at night and the shark fishermen were always there by the sand, patiently waiting for that first tug of the line.

Of course the real "sharks" are actually on the sand. Had my cell phone stolen right from under my feet while smooching a guy at night, standing & fully clothed. It's a free for all out there with the pick pockets in South Beach ... much better to hang out at night in mid to north beach, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Protection hook&ladder17 View Post
    I am a night swimmer, however I was more curious about metal detecting on either miami beach, or crandon park between lets say 11pm and 5am. The people dont scare me, I would just like to avoid any interaction with the fuzz if you know what I mean.
    Protection, why beachcomb in Miami ... I just did a road trip up the Treasure Coast ... beachcomb in Martin & Indian River counties, anywhere between Fort Pierce and Sebastian inlets. This is the area where the 1715 Spanish flotilla got shipwrecked after a hurricane, their holds loaded with much precious gold and silver cargo!!! Mel Fisher and others recovered some of it. There is still gold, silver and other treasures out there, waiting to be found and it's not far from the beach. IN fact the original salvaging camp was just near Sebastian Inlet and you can visit ground zero at the McLarty Treasure Musuem.

I've been told a good time to come is right after a storm with northeasterly winds. People have found Spanish pieces of eight, jewels and other valuable artifacts on the sand just by using a metal detector. You're talking about a three hour drive or so from Miami. The beaches are just gorgeous up here: No hi-rise development, natural dunes and native vegetation.