Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Wynwood-Edgewater area

Hi,

I am considering the Fortuna House apartments in the Wynwood-Edgewater area (26th and Biscayne).

Can someone familiar with the area give me an idea of how nice/safe it is?

Thank you.

That's an up-and-coming area that is becoming very popular with hipsters. Wynwood has emerged as a growing art scene and all kinds of new restaurants and shops are springing up along Biscayne Blvd.

There is also continuous construction along the blvd, so that can add to frustrations.

You will have your share of prostitutes along the blvd but that's tradition. Besides, it's not as bad as it used to be.

If Fortuna House has adequate security features, then you shouldn't have a problem.

New User

Default Re: Wynwood-Edgewater area

As far as I know the building doesn't have any security measures i.e. guards, etc.
    Also, the parking is right there on the street. Is that something I should be concerned with?

The location of the hotel is not right off of Biscayne, its further down 26th toward the bay.

Hi Parnish, welcome to the forums. Are you thinking about living there short-term or long-term. It wouldn't be my first choice in Miami, but as Carlos mentioned, it's up and coming. It's very mixed though ... you might be next to some not-so-nice buildings even though that one looks like it has been refurbished. It's not the kind of neighborhood I would recommend walking around in at night even though there are some nice new neighborhood restaurants and shops popping up around there on Biscayne.

Also, that's not the Wyndwood area at all ... that's further west.

New User

Hi Maria,

My plan is to stay there for a month while I get more familiar with the city and look for something more long term.

I'm not planning to walk around at night - but will be parking on the street - so I have some concern about my car - but I guess I'll have to take my chances.

Sounds like a plan, Parnish. I would very much appreciate it if you could follow up with us here. Other readers could benefit from the information.

New User

How bad the area just down south from fortuna house apts, around 22nd and biscayne?.... And is it still wynwood-edgewater, or its omni?...

Hi Real Wild, welcome to the forums. It's pretty much the same area. Wynwood is further west, as I mentioned before. The area immediately around Omni has some more upscale high-rise condos. Margaret Pace Park is there too and that's nice.

Parnish ... my friend who lives in that area said she's never had any problems with break-ins, but she never leaves anything in the car. They do happen though, but you have to use common sense like parking somewhere with good light and of course not leaving stuff in the car (not even in your trunk). She says she jogs at night and has never had any problems either.

New User

So I've been living in this area for the last two weeks and although at first I was a bit apprehensive, I've come to feel pretty safe in terms of both my person and my property.

It seems that the area between the bay and Biscayne Blvd is generally nicer and safer than the area west of the Blvd.

I've walked up and down Biscayne at different times of the day /night - and other than being approached by pan handlers a couple of times - i've not been bothered.

Hi Parnish! Thanks very much for sharing. I'm glad it's working out. I agree that the east side is far less sketchy than the west.

There are some nice Peruvian restaurants around there.

New User

Parnish, are there any grocery stores close to biscayne?? And congrats with your relocation!! Planning to move to the area between the bay and biscayne blvd myself...

There is a Publix further up Biscayne closer to the 195 overpass.