Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Red face Moving from Ohio to Miami Beach

Hey all!

My name is Val, 25years old...in process of moving to Miami in next 2-4 months. Def. my favorite place in the country and I'm a single 25yr old guy with no family, kids or anything that ties me down in Ohio

I'm originally from Odessa, Ukraine, which is considered to be party town just like Miami, moved to the states in 97, to Ohio...not by choice, and the older I get, the more i hate it here. Travel to miami at least 3-4 times a year to visit a friend and finally decided to just say screw it and move.

I'm a Finance major and an up n coming internet marketer, while taking bartnending classes in the meantime.

Would love to hear your guy's thoughts on what kind of preparation needed to make the move successful. When I do move, I'll be staying at my friends house in Miami Beach and the rent will be practiacally free for first 2mos.

Pardon my rant can you tell I'm excited to move hahah

Anyways, any sugestions/advice on making a successful move would be appreciated...Looking to learn lots from you guys.

-Val

Hi Val, welcome to 411. I moved your post to the relocating forum

That's great that you can stay with a friend when you first move as that gives you a chance to find a good place to stay and a job. Have you thought about what you want to do when you move here? And do you have any money saved?

By the way, I have been to Odessa... I climbed all those steps!

New User

Hey Jess,

yeah after posting I figured, relocating forum would have been a better category lol

to be completely honest with you, i dont have any money saved as of right now, that's why Im giving myself about 2-4mos to save up as much as possible. I have a pretty good job here in OH which pays rather well...but I just really really hate living here...I'm willing to make necessary sacrafices to live where i'll be happy. The living situation is def a plus and should give me ample time to find a job and get situated.

I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet, I'm taking bartending classes in the meantime so when I do move, I'll be able to at least to get a bartending job for extra income. I also have my own internet business which I'm in the process of developing and hoping to make a full time job by the time I move. Im a college graduate with a finance degree but in this economy, climbing the corporate ladder seems a little far fetched.

But as you can see, at this point, I'm not all that prepared nor do I know how much money I will need realistically to be able to survive lol Thats why I joined this forum so I can receive some guidance from people who already went thru this

And how did you like Odessa? amazing city to party but not so much to live in

You're at an advantage having a friend to stay with! The main hurdle people face when they first move to Miami/Miami Beach is getting a job so they can move into a place to live, and having a place to live so they can find a job! Kind of a catch 22! It sounds like the main thing you need to do to prepare is to save save save! Remember, when you do get your own place, they typically want first, last and deposit, so that's the monthly rent times 3. You'll also need money for food and things while you're waiting to get hired.

Here's an article I wrote about how I found a place in South Beach:

How I Moved to South Beach: Budget-Minded Tips from A New Resident - Miami Beach 411

Default Im sure you noticed......

That there is a huge ex 'russian' population here--though largely north of miami beach (surfside, boca, hollywood).

I just had friends move from the midwest.

Having a support of friends is important and since housing is more reasonable in those areas, it is something to consider.

Hi Val,

You already have 2 things most people don't when moving here- an apartment and a friend! Getting a good bartending gig here is difficult. It may be harder to find than a Finance job because of the competition.

I'd check out Downtown Miami for jobs in finance and also online career sites.

New User

wow guys!

thank you all for the feedback...its priceless to me

@Doug, thank you for the article...very thorough and I truly enjoyed reading it...def put some things in perspective for me as far as what to really expect when the time comes....i'm def in saving mode, living as frugally as posssible to save every penny possible, i'm hoping in next 2-3mos I'll have a decent amount saved to be able to get situated as quickly as possible...so thank you for that

@fredgarvin, yes, there is an ample russian population in FL, when the time comes I will definitley consider the cities you mentioned for a possible place of living...funny thing is that I constantly visit miami to see some friends and get a lil crazy in SoBe but i never really took time to actually explore the rest of miami, will most def have to do it once I make the move

@christy, having a friend and a place to stay were the two biggest motivators for me to actually decide to take the plunge and make the move. well...that and one particular time when i was visitng i was talking to one of the girls i met in SoBe and when i told her i'm from Ohio..her response was "oohh....dont u guys have a lot of corn over there" LOL...at that point, i was really convinced that where i live now is not my cup of tea, nor will it ever be..i'm 25 single, no family, no kids, college graduate and i love the club and party scene
    - as far as finding a job, would you care to recommend some of the venues to be able to find a job either in finance field, or bartending...or pretty much anything, i know that ill have to start at the bottom and work my way up no matter which job i take. My other concern is that with todays tight job market, a lot of employers simply overlook applications from people who are out of town, i'm concerned that at this point right now, since i am a few months away from moving, i will simply be overlooked.

Anyhow, once again...thank you all for great advices, it def cleared up a lot of misconceptions i had when i first decided to make the move..THANK YOU ALL

P.S. pardon my rant...had a lil too much coffee today

All that proves is that the girl is an idiot if that's all she can say about a state. What Doug said once when I was considering moving to Miami is that it's not final. If you don't like it just move after a year. As far as "venues" to find a job I'd check online sites like careerbuilder.com, monster.com, and research companies in Miami and check their websites for employment opportunities. To avoid having an out of town address, use your future one!

I agree, Ohio blows. You ever heard the Electric 6 song "Escape from Ohio?" That sums it up. But here's a few things you should know...

1. Getting a bartending job that pays enough to support yourself is VERY difficult. Especially as a male. Especially as a male with no contacts in the service industry. We had a guy posting on here who'd worked for years in some of the best clubs in Miami and couldn't find a job, You might be able to get something an a chain restaurant off the Beach or at a slow hotel bar or something, but it's not going to pay your rent after you can't stay with your friend any more.

2. Finance jobs here are more or less limited to Latin American finance. And, even if you speak Spanish, those firms almost exclusively hire Hispanics. Seriously, I meet very few white people with finanace jobs here, because the people running the firms and doing the hiring are Hispanic, that's who they hire for the most part. It's kinda like being a non-white in other American cities, except there's no affirmative action for us.

3. You need to have about $5000 saved before you move. That's only because you have free rent for a while. If you don't have that, don't get on the plane. Or in your car. Or whatever.

4. You've already met the typical kind of person you'll encounter in Miami when you met the girl who thought Ohio was filled with corn. I have met more complete morons in Miami than anywhere else. Just be prepared, people here are stupider than wherever you are from. And, surprisingly, that will NOT give you a leg up in the job market.

Good luck. But be prepared. And save some money before you come.

Default Re: Moving from Ohio to Miami Beach

I have a job here and I don't speak Spanish. It depends on where you work. Like if you work in retail it's probably important, but not required by a lot of places. There are non-spanish speakers working at publix and the mall and stuff. A lot of my coworkers don't speak spanish or speak spanish but don't use it at work outside of the cafeteria (lol). At least from my perspective the whole "you need to speak spanish" and "miami is just like living in latin america" is blown out of proportion.

Also I would not say people here are stupid, but education is valued less here. It's much less of a class thing and much more of a money thing here. In my opinion Miami is way less snobby than Boston, where I have lived/worked before I moved here.

But yeah Miami is not a 24/7 vacation. We have the east coast attitude here, it's not that laid back. Plus be prepared to work just as hard as you did before, but be missing a lot more beautiful days outside. I still feel super lucky to live here though. At least I have the option to go out in the sun in December

Interesting take, Julie. Yeah, outside of the South Americans I haven't encountered much snobbery here. I do love the fact the NOBODY ever asks what you do for a living the first time or two they meet you.

But lack of education pretty much equals stupid in my book, so that may be where we differ.

Yeah, me too. I really don't care what someone does for a living. As long as they are a person that I enjoy spending time with that's enough. I thought Boston was like the snobbiest most classist city ever. Everyone there is obsessed with being educated and having a career and there is a real division among the people there. I just lived there for a job, so not being from there I wasn't into it at all.....so glad I live in Miami now.

Education does not really have anything to do with someone being smart or stupid though. Getting education just teaches you a skill that you can apply to a job. It doesn't make you smart to have it or stupid if you don't have it. But if you don't have it then you make less money. There are plenty of people who get where they are through hard work and applying themselves, even if they aren't smart, but they are still educated. if that makes sense....

Makes sense. I'm ust saying uneducated people generally tend to not know a lot of general knowledge type stuff that most educated people do. And often think on a different level. So they are, by my judgment, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie1 View Post
    Yeah, me too. I really don't care what someone does for a living. As long as they are a person that I enjoy spending time with that's enough. I thought Boston was like the snobbiest most classist city ever. Everyone there is obsessed with being educated and having a career and there is a real division among the people there. I just lived there for a job, so not being from there I wasn't into it at all.....so glad I live in Miami now.
    Boston is the college capital of the US, so yes people studying their butts off are going to want to talk about work and school. I agree that Miami is totally different.

Thumbs up No Sweater Vests in Miami!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Ohio blows!
    Matt is right!

Ohio (state) sucks!

Free Toledo!!!!!!!!!!!

Toledo War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia