Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Will I be happier living in Miami?

Miami is definitely super clean compared to other cities in the northeast I've lived in. It's a really new city, that's why, and probably all the ocean breezes and stuff. I do see trash and stuff on the ground a lot and it makes me sad b/c miami is such a beautiful place.

I don't think miami is a bad place to raise a family. In like nice areas like Kendall, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, etc. My bf is a miami native and so are a lot of his friends. Most of them are hispanic but he has a few white friends too. None of them are into clubbing or drugs or stealing at all. They are pretty normal and like sports and video games and typical guy stuff.

Yes, unfortunately guys will hit on your gf here. I get hit on all the time. And I don't even walk around dressed like I'm asking for it. Even when i'm with my bf i've seen guys looking at me, it's really weird. I guess men here are really forward.

rk

FredtheCat has an excellent point. Do spend a month during June to September before deciding.

Default Re: Will I be happier living in Miami?

Sorry. I thought we clarified way near the top that the discussion was regarding Miami Beach. Not Miami Ghetto.

That rant I saw you edited about the Mexicans in San Diego? That's ALL of Miami, guy.
    You must have also missed the part where I pointed out the complete lack of Mexican influence, guy. Just because someone is Latino doesn't mean they're Mexicans. And absolutely positively not - Miami is not the same as San Diego in this regard. Hardly. Its a completely different breed of Latin in Miami (Beach) than San Diego. Its so noticeable that 10 people in our group from SD were commenting literally every 15 minutes about it. In Miami beach we saw no "ghetto" looking or acting people. There were no parks filled with wifebeaters, goatee's and socks pulled up to the knees. Maybe 8th street Miami inland has that. Every city has that, but Miami Beach was far different.

Third, this is even more of a singles city than San Diego. Raising kids here would be a TERRIBLE idea.
    The idea would be to move somewhere close, where there are neighborhoods with beautiful homes that are far more affordable than San Diego. San Diego you get crap quality housing for insanely expensive. Less than 10% of the population can afford to own a home. That was the point. Even though I can afford a 1 mill house, the quality of a 1 mill house in San Diego is a joke compared to most of the rest of the country. I already have spoken to 4 more people who are close friends who lived in SFL and all of them said its amazing, but to move up to Ft Lauderdale when you're ready to settle down. I dont remember at any point saying we were talking about 8th street miami ghetto in this thread, so im not understanding the purpose of your entire reply being about that part of town.

f the relatively-small Hispanic population in San Diego gets to you, Miami will make you insane. 2/3 Latin, guy. Two-Thirds.
    Again, guy, I stated that I am absolutely in love with the latin culture - in the sense that it differs from San Diego. Im not big on the mexican culture, guy, but I love the mix in Miami. Lighter skinned, taller, beautiful women. Its like night and day, guy, and we all loved it. Once again, unless you view all latin people as one big blur of "brown" then you'll understand the relevant differences between mexicans and the rest.

Last edited by MiamiBurger; 11-21-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Well if I was in your shoes I would do it....in fact I just did.

We own our own business and moved it and us here only 1 month ago. Rent will be no problem for you. We live in a more expensive building than most and we have a great 2 bedroom 2 bath with a STUNNING view for 2200. With your rent you could have the penthouse!

We actually considered San Diego as our other option because we love it area and have family there but in the end the cost of living was way too much there. And whoever says they have less of a margin between cost of living and salary.....no so.....at least not anymore. My sister in law is making only 3 more dollars per hour for the same job my sister has in Idaho. Her housing is 4x as much. And salaries here aren't less than idaho.

Anyway, I digress, we noticed alot of negative stuff too when we were researching moving. But there comes a time that you have to realize that all of that is their experiences, and ultimately their bad attitude. We love it here! We love the weather, the nice people we meet everywhere, the water, our neighborhood (we walk to everything)....I could go on! Honestly the only I don't like is the traffic....so I try not to drive.

So, if you do come.....look us up! We love meeting new people!
    miamibeach2013 likes this.

You don't like being called "guy" do you? It's kind of like people in SoCal use "Dude" so, ya know, don't get too offended there, Bob.

My reference to 8th Street was the beach in South Beach at 8th Street. Not Calle Ocho, which is actually pretty nice. Miami Ghetto trash everywhere on that beach though. What you experienced was Miami BEACH. You wanna talk about moving there, fine, but that ain't Miami. The folks from the city go to that part of the beach a lot, and it's more or less an unbearable scene after about 1 PM. You'll see when you get here.

What I"m saying is you can't judge what living here will be like based on 4 days in South Beach. Because what I described to you above is a LOT closer to what real life here is like than what you experienced. You can walk around and see pretty Latin chicks in South Beach, and think that's what life here is like. But it's not. It's hard to explain unless you've lived here, as a White person, for a while. But there's a reason most Americans don't last 2 years here, and it's not the rainy summers or even the traffic.

So your vacation, while I'm sure it was nice, is not indicative of what your living experience will be like. And, yeah, as someone who has lived in both SoCal and South Florida for long periods of time, I will tell you the basic aspects of Latin cultures are pretty much the same whether you're talking Mexicans, Colombians, Cubans or Puerto Ricans. Running late. Being loud. Gender roles that are about 2 generations past dated. Needless machismo. Acceptance of corruption. I could go on, but I've seen little difference other than that Mexican food is a lot better.

New User

this guy metzer said it all too true for you....First, the good looking people you want are in South Beach; a singles town on the young end-like San Diego actually. Noone would reccommend you move to miami to live permanently if you are from CA and just unhappy with attractiveness of women...

it is much smarter and easier to come for a few months a year if you have an online business and party and then return...i don't see the point in a complete move. Maybe I'm missing something, but to move to a tourist town like south beach and be surrounded by people in their 20's and tourists and super hot 6 months of the year (hotter than anywhere else in U.S. or Europe for that matter) with 90 degree nights june, july, aug and sept it just seems dumb.

I would say that there are lots of things to think about when moving to miami even if you like the way south american women and european women look which is what you have in South Beach-girls of italian, Spanish, Russian and Portuguese decent kinda a white hispanic look or the mainland europe look....not too many people with english or irish last names here.

and there are only like 5 clubs to go to and it gets super old...liv and then mansion and then liv and then mansion or another opium group club-also do you speak spanish and love the weather....i mean most consider socal weather the best in the world and only new yorkers don't know the difference?

Also, New Yorkers with money would not stay in Miami for 12 months but just the more mild 6 months of the years....this is tropical weather all of the time unlike a week vacation....

I'm From Los Angeles and I am 32 (just turned few days ago) and think that san diego and south beach are too young of cities for a guy 36.....i would think you will feel old...also the people are ruder and with less manners and less friendly and more stuck up in south beach than probably anywhere man...and im used to the Paris Hilton shit on hollywood blvd...

Heres my answer: Don't just move. rent a place for 3 months of the year like so many young girls do in summer here from russia and argentina, sleep around and party and then go back to a city with more to offer....i mean 12 months straight of having just a few clubs and a few block radius (south beach) will drive you crazy...

And if you like the darker shade of white girls why not New York; lots of italian girls, cuban girls and more of a mix...seems you just don't like the blond lighter shade girls on west coast which seem mainly english and irish-oh and you don't like the mexican look or asian look...but still man, to move for women when you could just do 3 months or 6 months a year if you have an online business is much smarter...this is a super small place like San Diego and the partying gets "played out" big time quick....

so come to MIA to mess with the women and do that stuff but when you want to settle down with a girlfriend or wife definitely this is not the place...only thing to do is the same old few clubs, practice your spanish and see the same few blocks-it's very small and mainland miami is ugly...it's not south beach...oh and ft lauderdale is just awful looking, american ghetto style city and also super hot.

And i am planning on returning to LA or NYC where I spent half of high school after a few more years of single life here; think of it that way...this place is good for single life and fun but not much else, and definitely boring if you are not single-i'd say suuuper boring...i couldn't imagine having a girlfriend or wife here in miami-what would i do for fun-the whole town is geared toward being single and vacationers!

miami beach is fun for a few months is my short answer to this guy and if you are smart you are a successful snow bird who does 6 months in NYC and 6 in miami beach but i'd think 3 is enough for your goals of women....then it'd get super old...its again such a small city.

New User

Oh, forgot to mention i am here doing real estate sales (condos with a broker license) and its gotten better-the market recently...oh, also i like the attractiveness here and the darker european look you describe that Miami Beach has (as does New York) vs the west coast lighter shade of skin color of whites and then asians and mexicans -but girls won't keep me here after the real estate cycle ends and im older...i think after age 35 if you have a choice you should be in a larger more metropolitan place like Los Angeles, New York, etc-the small South Beach lifestyle will make you feel like you are old at 36.

But I came here also for reasons like yours ....just for pretty women and entertainment and also have my own business and now doing real estate here. However, i just will say that it gets old really fast and the clubs and house music get old super fast....i mean you will only be at LIV and another spot or two -truthfully there is nothing else- no bars or lounges...this isn't a new york with millions of alternatives and the older you get the weirder it feels in south beach...atleast for me when I party..i mean i came at late 20's but now i feel like I need to be in a New York Or LA (not a san diego either) as i age-with more to do than party like a tourist or look at hot looking people...

hope i helped...and the Metzer guy knows his stuff...people happiest here typically are from other places and don't mind living on a small island like hawaii...just stay here 3 months man or 6 months and you might like it enough to stay but you have to like the weather all year round and it is tuff.....like NYC weather isn't easy all year....like sounthern CA with no extremes.....good luck...and i don't blame you...san diego doesn't sound right either...it's also too too tiny and so forth. good luck.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Right. Let's drop in from the other side.

I'm not moving to Miami for any other reason than for work. I got the job of my dreams, that I have been trying for over 15 years to get. I will spend most of my time in a nondescript building in Perrine designing aircraft instruments. And I know for sure that I like that (been there).

With the job comes the moving. I will drag my family (wife, 8-year daughter) from a hard core suburban Dutch sleeping city to somewhere in the Kendall-Pinecrest-Palmetto Bay zone. My wife is Portuguese, so the Hispanic part likely won't be a problem for her as she comes from downtown Lisboa and spent the first years of her life in Angola, Africa (speak of tropical weather). My daughter will pick up both Spanish, Portuguese and English in no time flat. No issues there.

Life for us won't be the same as here in Holland in any way, but given that we're not at all in the party scene and my wife has been craving for a piece of latin culture back in her life, not to speak hot weather, sun, a beach within 1 hour driving etc. I assume it isn't going to be totally crap, right?

As if I have a choice ...

Dutchie
    Last edited by Hoppie; 04-25-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Dutchie, the part of town you're moving to will be fine for a family. Or as fine as Miami gets. PEE-RINE! Raise Up!

Mid-beach, I agree with you on a lot of counts. But the age thing is a little weird. Beach People seem a little ageless. Like life is more determined by where you are in life than how OLD you actually are. So for instance a person who's like 33 but single with no intentions of having children who can still go out all the time is more or less the same as someone who's 21. Maybe not looks wise, but in terms of what they want out of life. So South Beach only seems "too young" when you are getting "too old."
    cynthial likes this.

Agreed, Matt.

I do find the beach areas beautiful, and the proximity to the islands very enticing, and the sheer size of miami implies to me that there is a LOT more going on here than San Diego. I still have my condo in San Diego and I have gone back 2 times since I got my place here in Brickell. Every time I go back to experience how I feel, San Diego seems "pleasant". Thats basically the word for it. But along with that comes a sensation of very little going on. I think its a nice place if you're interested in tons of Asians, Marine Jar Heads, Mexicans, and angry looking Persians everywhere. Its a nice place if you like good weather and a horrifying allergy season that lasts a full month and a half. Its a nice place if you like cliffy beaches that you can only look at, rarely actually participate in, and water that is too cold and filled with seaweed to really get into, except for 1 month out of the year when it barely hits 70 degrees.

San Diego most of all seems somewhat sleepy. I've been there 12 years so I have exhausted any sensation I once had of "opportunity" there. The Miami horizon skyline stretches all the way to the right and all the way to the left. Its basically the equivilent of 10 to 20 San Diego skylines. That implies to me (correctly or not) that there is a lot more going on here, and a lot more opportunity, if you make the effort to get involved.. Agreed - mainland Miami is ugly, but so is mainland San Diego, with the exception of hills and the master planned communities. Those areas are nice - but so is Aventura, which is basically Orange County California in every visual way.

My viewpoint on Miami is slowly being perfected as I have now been here 3 months, but I still feel like i have a long way to go. The summer months are going to bring a whole new perspective. But when you've got 50 times as many people living here as you do in San Diego, especially when rent is nearly twice as much here, that tells me that it can't be all that bad .... even in the Summer. I've found that laughing off the humidity and telling myself its "like Hawaii - its Tropical" ... enables me to have a much better outlook on the heat. People in San Diego bitch when it hits 80 degrees because the humidity in San Diego hovers around 70% most of the time. We've had some 88 degree / 70% humidity days here already, and I did just fine. No issues. And being able to go to that beach and look at the utter beauty, balances it out a bit.

As for there only being 4 clubs? Disagree. I can have just as much fun at "BED" and "Cameo" as I do at LIV. I even have a blast at Bongo's and love taking visitors there for a fun experience. There are tons, and tons of outdoor restaurants here which San Diego to this day has NEVER FIGURED OUT to do. In fact, that is one of my biggest issues with San Diego. Best weather in the country and you'll be hard pressed to find *any* outdoor restaurants or venues. Miami? Entire blocks of awesome restaurants, outdoor seating, music playing, front doors wide open, and entertainment going on. To compare San Diego's "Gaslamp District" to Miami beach is like comparing Des Moines to Manhattan. There are older couples enjoying dinners, there are middle aged couples enjoying live music, there are families with kids enjoying things, and there are young people partying it up. Seems like there's something for everyone.

Buildings, restaurants, hotels, clubs, and pool areas in San Diego pale in comparison when it comes to quality. Everything in San Diego is tiny, cramped, and feels old. Interior design and decorative elements are horrifying in San Diego venues whether they be clubs or restaurants. Maybe because rent is so high there, they cant afford to make the interior actually look nice, but even walking around the W hotel pool area and bar area here, is like another universe compared to San Diego. The Delano - design and sheek sexy environment. Fountainblue ... even here in Brickell at the Epic - the restaurants, the pools, etc. Bigger, better, more attractive.

So we'll see ... as far as finding a wife? Nobody says you gotta stay here once you find one.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
    Last edited by MiamiBurger; 04-25-2011 at 05:17 PM.

I've lived in both Miami and San Diego, and each city has its own perks and liabilities. San Diego is much more walkable, people are more relaxed and friendly, there are more year round outdoor activities, easy access to desert, mountains and beaches and it feels a little more civilized. There is also medical marijuana, whereas Miami is still a little behind in that area. Miami is better at outdoor cafes, decor, activities in water, architecture, and it has more of a pulse to it.

New User

Default doug, matt and miamiburger

Well, first if you are already here then i wish you the best. My suggestion was to live for a few months to make sure you like it; and move when its really hot to see if the 4 months annoy you to death of summer....which is really like 7 months but i think only 4 are actually tuff tuff.

So, I will first say that being from NYC and Los Angeles (primarily santa monica and west hollywood) I completely agree that San Diego is bad for all the reasons you mentioned you didn't enjoy san diego. I also agree that an individual should enjoy the women more than you had been in San Diego. Now, if I were not single and had a wife I would prefer a larger city than San Diego or Miami Beach that had much more cultural activities and things to do than what i have here on the beach. So, for now, I am happy here with the same few opium clubs and LIV, the lincoln rd promenade and the warm nights although i find the daytime weather much less appealing....oh and the women and people are attractive which is high on my list of importance besides real estate (since im doing condo sales now with my broker license)

And so I would definitely be in Miami simply because San Diego would bore me to death....but Doug and Matt and myself are correct in suggesting that miami lacks good manners, overall friendliness and is last in customer service (according to studies) and has the worst drivers...let's just say you get used to people treating each other like shit...also the same stuff applies here in miami as other places and more so in south beach. People are territorial; for example italians with italians, brazilians with brazilians, argentineans with argentinians, so don't think its strange when it isn't so easy to make guy friends or break into circles.

Also, Matt is right....on 2nd thought, age does not have so much to do with living in south beach and enjoying yourself but still plays a role. I wouldn't want to be in my 40's and 50's in south beach but you are not that old man...so it doesn't really even apply-who knows where you'll be in 5-10 years let alone 3....also Matts point that its not how old you are but how old you feel (and look) is true to a lesser extent.

anyway, good luck man....you were right to move because you would not have known if you did or did not like it without moving...and most people don't move to a new place and stay so even if you do move in the future who cares....who ever said you have to stay for x amount of years or remain here once you are no longer single or decide its too small or its gotten "old". There is no shortage of cities and it seems your parents won't grow old here so you have choices!

good luck

New User

Default last response on this subject!

dutchie,

i wanted to recommend aventura as a possible destination to move to...or coconut grove....living in south miami or kendall or pinecrest really is not too pleasant to the eyes-although it is family oriented....

it is not on the bay or coast which is a cool thing about FL to try to attain...to have to drive so far to see the water in my car would really bother me. Now, if you are working near kendall-then, it is a good move because there is much morning traffic. Although, I would definitely choose kendall by the dadeland mall area vs out in the boonies by the everglades or west kendall. Pinecrest is also very suburban and kind of nothing happening...Stick to Kendall if you stray from the coast....it is a cool suburb if you are going to be in South Miami.

I'm against ft lauderdale simply because it is not a pretty place unless you are directly off the coast....demographics are about 50% african american and 50% white american and english spoken as first language- and there is a decent amount of crime-which is why i call it a regular american ghetto style city.

Miami is a great place and your wife will love it; this comparison to CA is silly as all these cities are great for millions of people (new york, LA and Miami) each have pros and cons....to me NYC is my favorite even though i like its weather the least. Others value weather more than culture or the people and activities...Anyway, each person makes up his mind but I think there is no reason to not find happiness in any of these 3 choices....but of course it's normal to have favorites . My favorite for long term non single life in NYC but given your scenario I think I'd choose Miami as it satisfies the job , the wife and isn't super super small just a little small for me being from LA and NYC-you'll be fine!

oh the weather is fine and great at night...sure CA weather is probably the best unless its late at night (that's when FL wins) but the weather in CA and FL both aren't as tough as the New York weather but again to me....weather comes after size of population and things to do in terms of importance so i guess it ranks 3rd on my personal list....

wife will looooove it....being from where she is from! She'd also like CA by the Coast but not New York! good work finding a job of your dreams...i sell condos because im good at it but i can't wait to own another business that really interests me!

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Re: last response on this subject!

Thank you, midbeach!

Quote Originally Posted by midbeach View Post
    i wanted to recommend aventura as a possible destination to move to...or coconut grove....living in south miami or kendall or pinecrest really is not too pleasant to the eyes-although it is family oriented....
    Yeah, but since my daily work is in Perrine, I have no choice, I need to move South of downtown Miami. I don't think it is any good idea to move South of Perrine, though. Coral Gables, South of the UM campus, could be the upper edge of what would be commutable, though I need to commute South which is likely a bit less of a problem. I've been commuting 100 miles daily, and then 100 back ... I'd like to avoid that ...

it is not on the bay or coast which is a cool thing about FL to try to attain...to have to drive so far to see the water in my car would really bother me.
    Hey, currently I live 100 miles from any beach, and Dutch beaches aren't exactly comparable to Florida. Even in Lisboa we need to drive 30 minutes to reach anything reasonable, and one hour for something really great.

Pinecrest is also very suburban and kind of nothing happening...Stick to Kendall if you stray from the coast....it is a cool suburb if you are going to be in South Miami.
    Just for comparison, so that you get an idea of what we Dutch consider suburban: go to Google Maps, key in "Reeshof Nederland" and walk around a bit using StreetView. This is what "we" do with former wetlands (marshes, wet meadows). Try to find anything not being a one-family house. If the Miami area isn't worse than this, we'll be fine!

wife will looooove it....being from where she is from! She'd also like CA by the Coast but not New York! good work finding a job of your dreams...i sell condos because im good at it but i can't wait to own another business that really interests me!
    Now this probably helped me the most.

Thanks again,

Dutchie

Miami is another big city with big city issues. Kids grow up quick, but that depends on where they stay, and who they associate with. You can be happy any where if you want to. I'm happy in Miami I grew up here, and I think I turned out semi-alright. lol

Miamiburger had mentioned San Diego architecture being a little ugly, and he's right about the 60s and 70s stuff, but San Diego is also home to some of the best craftsman style architecture in the country. There is a great crafstman neighborhood just north of Balboa Park. LA used to have a lot of craftsman houses, but most were torn down to make way for huge, boxy apartment complexes. Craftsman is a cool look, though. Central Florida has some as well, though they call them Florida bungalows.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Miamiburger had mentioned San Diego architecture being a little ugly, and he's right about the 60s and 70s stuff, but San Diego is also home to some of the best craftsman style architecture in the country. There is a great crafstman neighborhood just north of Balboa Park. LA used to have a lot of craftsman houses, but most were torn down to make way for huge, boxy apartment complexes. Craftsman is a cool look, though. Central Florida has some as well, though they call them Florida bungalows.
    Even further north in Escondido they have those type of homes you're mentioning. In Hollywood they're also called bungalows. In fact the street I grew up adjacent hancock Park was nothing but craftsmans. Hopefully in the near future after I relocate back, I'm going to devote myself to breathing life to a couple or few Hollywood Bungalows. There are plenty of those left, especially if you include South Central.

Yes, there are a few still here and there in Hollywood. I remember seeing some in Los Feliz. Hancock Park I recall had larger homes. I used to live on Van Ness between Melrose and Beverly and spent a lot of time in Hancock Park and Larchmont. They've managed to keep the feel of old Hollywood going!

You're going to leave Florida? I thought you were happy there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yes, there are a few still here and there in Hollywood. I remember seeing some in Los Feliz. Hancock Park I recall had larger homes. I used to live on Van Ness between Melrose and Beverly and spent a lot of time in Hancock Park and Larchmont. They've managed to keep the feel of old Hollywood going!

You're going to leave Florida? I thought you were happy there.
    I can visualize that block ( Van Ness ) like yesterday. Basically a stone's throw of Paramount Studios. I grew up about five blocks South on Arden Blvd. It certainly was old Hollywood. Andy Williams was a neighbor as well as Fess Parker. Now that's going way old Hollywood.

By near future, I mean five years. There were some price breaks on some homes in Montrose that I'm keeping tabs on.. I'm happy here, but there are days when it just doesn't cut it.

How is PS treating you ?

Palm Springs is beautiful right now. Everything is in bloom, stunning mountains with the last of the winter snow on top, clear skies and temps in the mid-80s. Life feels very easy here. I have been missing Los Angeles a bit yesterday, but am planning to drive in this weekend, so I will hopefully get my fill!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast