Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Will I be happier living in Miami?

Ash
    New User

Default Re: Will I be happier living in Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBurger View Post
    Agreed, Matt.

I do find the beach areas beautiful, and the proximity to the islands very enticing, and the sheer size of miami implies to me that there is a LOT more going on here than San Diego. I still have my condo in San Diego and I have gone back 2 times since I got my place here in Brickell. Every time I go back to experience how I feel, San Diego seems "pleasant". Thats basically the word for it. But along with that comes a sensation of very little going on. I think its a nice place if you're interested in tons of Asians, Marine Jar Heads, Mexicans, and angry looking Persians everywhere. Its a nice place if you like good weather and a horrifying allergy season that lasts a full month and a half. Its a nice place if you like cliffy beaches that you can only look at, rarely actually participate in, and water that is too cold and filled with seaweed to really get into, except for 1 month out of the year when it barely hits 70 degrees.

San Diego most of all seems somewhat sleepy. I've been there 12 years so I have exhausted any sensation I once had of "opportunity" there. The Miami horizon skyline stretches all the way to the right and all the way to the left. Its basically the equivilent of 10 to 20 San Diego skylines. That implies to me (correctly or not) that there is a lot more going on here, and a lot more opportunity, if you make the effort to get involved.. Agreed - mainland Miami is ugly, but so is mainland San Diego, with the exception of hills and the master planned communities. Those areas are nice - but so is Aventura, which is basically Orange County California in every visual way.

My viewpoint on Miami is slowly being perfected as I have now been here 3 months, but I still feel like i have a long way to go. The summer months are going to bring a whole new perspective. But when you've got 50 times as many people living here as you do in San Diego, especially when rent is nearly twice as much here, that tells me that it can't be all that bad .... even in the Summer. I've found that laughing off the humidity and telling myself its "like Hawaii - its Tropical" ... enables me to have a much better outlook on the heat. People in San Diego bitch when it hits 80 degrees because the humidity in San Diego hovers around 70% most of the time. We've had some 88 degree / 70% humidity days here already, and I did just fine. No issues. And being able to go to that beach and look at the utter beauty, balances it out a bit.

As for there only being 4 clubs? Disagree. I can have just as much fun at "BED" and "Cameo" as I do at LIV. I even have a blast at Bongo's and love taking visitors there for a fun experience. There are tons, and tons of outdoor restaurants here which San Diego to this day has NEVER FIGURED OUT to do. In fact, that is one of my biggest issues with San Diego. Best weather in the country and you'll be hard pressed to find *any* outdoor restaurants or venues. Miami? Entire blocks of awesome restaurants, outdoor seating, music playing, front doors wide open, and entertainment going on. To compare San Diego's "Gaslamp District" to Miami beach is like comparing Des Moines to Manhattan. There are older couples enjoying dinners, there are middle aged couples enjoying live music, there are families with kids enjoying things, and there are young people partying it up. Seems like there's something for everyone.

Buildings, restaurants, hotels, clubs, and pool areas in San Diego pale in comparison when it comes to quality. Everything in San Diego is tiny, cramped, and feels old. Interior design and decorative elements are horrifying in San Diego venues whether they be clubs or restaurants. Maybe because rent is so high there, they cant afford to make the interior actually look nice, but even walking around the W hotel pool area and bar area here, is like another universe compared to San Diego. The Delano - design and sheek sexy environment. Fountainblue ... even here in Brickell at the Epic - the restaurants, the pools, etc. Bigger, better, more attractive.

So we'll see ... as far as finding a wife? Nobody says you gotta stay here once you find one.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
    I'm in the position you were in a year ago. I'm visiting south beach for a few days right before Christmas (Dec 21-23), staying at the Z Ocean hotel. Not sure if it'll be lively right before x-mas or not. Any suggestions for day and night handouts walking distance in south beach? I'm only interested in checking out south beach. Thx.

It will be very bust that time of year. Are you interested in seeing South Beach with a view to living here, or just to find things to do those few days?

Clevelander and Wet Willies are fun during the day, not far from your hotel.

News Cafe is good for breakfast, also close to Wet Willies.

If you're around Sunday Nikki Beach is a great daytime spot too.

New User

I also feel the same, that I would be happier living in Miami as well, however after hearing all of Matt's comments I guess I am not so sure...
    I personally love coming to Miami and feeling like i am in a different country, and although a lot of people have said there are a lot of conceited people in Miami I felt very at home when I went, and I thought the people pretty down to earth. Then again, compared to the area where I live anybody would be down to earth.

I personally love coming to Miami and feeling like i am in a different country
    this is one of the things i love about it too -- i loved it as a visitor and i love it living here too....

don't forget, different people have different perspectives. i ADORE the Latin and Caribbean cultures and it's a joy to live among them.... i love that i don't feel like I am in America - totally different vibe and atmosphere, and different ways of doing things. that's one of the main reasons i moved here in the first place -

if people don't at least like the cultures that are part of Miami, i don't know why they come to live here - and i don't know why they stay. not being snarky. i'm just saying honestly.

before i moved, i spent long visits, like over a month at a time, in an apartment (not a hotel), to get a 'feel' for living here; and i gotta say living here is just like i thought it would be. very happy i made the move!
    Last edited by Catt; 11-30-2011 at 10:06 PM.

New User

I love the latin american flavor as well! As a local, do you find that the cultures blend well? And is there a lot of other diversity aside from Latin American. I personally am Indian so I don't know how much of that culture is available in Miami.

Hi Sharma,

The thing about Miami is it's not diverse. It's largely Latin American, as far as permanent residents. You will find people from every country who come to Miami for 6 months-2 years, or even longer, so people very cool and friendly. I can't say that I noticed a lot of Indian people, but don't let that stop you.

it still remains a dream for me, live in Miami Beach, for 1 or 2 years.
    I hope one day it comes true..

I haven't been here long enough to have an in-depth understanding of the dynamics of the blend; and while there's not a huge diversity, there are several different Latino and Caribbean countries represented - it's not 'all' Latino; there are quite a few different Caribbean nations here also.

haven't seen much evidence of a strong Asian Indian presence - although there seems to be a few around; and there's a lot of Trinidadian Indians in the caribbean neighborhoods.

i can say that i've never been on the receiving end of any negativity from those i interact with; i've been treated well wherever I go. and in general people have been friendly and kind to me.
    Last edited by Catt; 12-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by sapna.sharma13 View Post
    I love the latin american flavor as well! As a local, do you find that the cultures blend well? And is there a lot of other diversity aside from Latin American. I personally am Indian so I don't know how much of that culture is available in Miami.
    sapna, there isn't a lot of diversity other than latin/caribbean, but I am not sure that should be a great factor in whether you'll be happy or not. A lot depends on you, and the rest mostly depends on what job you have (and I would not move without securing a job first). If being around Indians is important, there are a few in Miami-Dade (the asian population is about 1.5%, which includes all asians incl Chinese, Iranians, Filipinos, etc.). There are more in Broward county, where the "all asian" percentage is 3.0%.

There are people here from all over the world. Yes, many if not most are from South America. But there are many Europeans living here too, and people with all color skin.

Catt makes a good point..If you're the type of American who likes living somewhere that doesn't feel like America, you probably will enjoy it. I, however, am not one of those people.

I greatly dislike Latin culture, I've made that clear here. Why do I stay? Well, that's like a New Yorker slipping on ice and bitching about the weahter an you asking him "Why don't you move to Florida?" Just because you greatly dislike one aspect of a city is not a reason to up and leave.

Nowhere's perfect. To me the MAJOR drawback to this city if the Latin culture and influence. But the good outweighs the bad for me, so that's why I stay.

New User

Matt-What is the good about living in Miami?

New User

Hi, everyone! Is it too late for me to get in on this?

Will I be happier living in Miami? This is the question I have been asking myself over and over. I'm a much different person, in a much different position from you Miamiburger. firstly, I'm a NY Irish/Italian girl, so moving to Florida for '10' Latino women is not my motivation. I am however, the quintessential snowbird. I HATE the winter, and can get depressed in January, February, etc. In many ways, the the typical NYer, born and raised, but the whole/money/status/gentrification hipster thing drives me crazy.

I guess what I'm asking is.... does Miami have room for a girl like me? I'm not rich, I'll be working and living in SB, but my income will be LOW... i'm getting the impression Ill be the poorest person on the beach. I don't speak Spanish, I'm not a Latinophile but I don't have any problems with Latinos. And though I love to get dressed up and dance, most of the time I really prefer wearing a pair of jeans in a dive bar. I have friends who grew up in Miami and moved to Ny, and they've mainly been warning me to avoid the place.

thanks for your input, and good luck with your decision, miamiburger

Hi Mayzzie, welcome to the discussion

There is room for everyone here. You pretty much described me, I am not rich by any means, the American class system based on money drives me nuts (I don't CARE what school you went to), I don't speak Spanish nor do I intend to learn it, and hanging out in Teds is as much fun as wearing my heels to Amnesia.

And I LOVE it here.

So the people warning you away, well they couldn't cope with living here. It's not for everyone. But it's what you make it. So if you wanna come down, then do it. Wouldn't it be better to look back in life and say, well, at least I tried it.

Honestly, Mayzzie, while I always like to encourage white girls to move here it sounds like this may not be the place for you. True, nobody here really gives a shit what you do for a living, or what school you went to, or any of that. And our hipsters are actually pretty tolerable. And gentrification isn't even a concept. We're more into tearing things down and building big, new, ugly things to replace them.

BUT....if you don't liek Latin culture, and find yourself frustrated by lack of English in New York, life here will drive you nuts. Nobody moves quickly, nothing is efficient, nothing works on time and customer service is not even a concept. Also, there is a real lack of intelligent, educated people here. They exist, but that demographic has to be sought out. You deal with incredibly stupid people on a daily basis, in everything you do, which gets frustrating.

The weather will be an improvement, though. have you thought about looking at Tampa or Palm Beach County? Both have great weather and are a lot more American and livable. Tampa especially, very young and a much more educated demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by sapna.sharma13 View Post
    Matt-What is the good about living in Miami?

Well, the weather first of all. Second, it's never boring and you meet a LOT of interesting people. People are about more than their jobs or careers here, and the culture is very permissive. Nobody realyl cares what you do or who you do it with, and things like drinking on a weekday aren't frowned upon. There's always something to do, there's always a party, and, again, you never get bored.

I had the opportunity to interview Edna Buchanan, one of the foremost writers about this city, a few weeks ago. And she told me that it's a place that once you get over all the BS, you really can't live anywhere else. And I get that.

Hi Mayzzie,

I went to a club (more of a place to see bands than a dance club) in NY the other week and wore ripped skinny jeans and a cute plaid button-down. I could never go out in Miami wearing that..I mean not to a hot, happening place. I love Miami and NY. The only way to find out if you'll like it is to move. There are some cool dive bars in Miami, but lots of people you'll meet will want to hit the clubs. Don't at all give a second thought to not having money in SoBe- lots of people live paycheck to paycheck, not a big deal. But going out in Miami can be expensive because you're paying tourist prices. The other thing to think about is dating-lots of guys only live in Miami part time, or are just in Miami for 6 months from Italy..and if you do find a guy the chances of him being Italian/Irish are about 10%.

I think everyone in the northeast gets a little depressed during the winter. It is depressing!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    BUT....if you don't liek Latin culture, and find yourself frustrated by lack of English in New York, life here will drive you nuts. Nobody moves quickly, nothing is efficient, nothing works on time and customer service is not even a concept. Also, there is a real lack of intelligent, educated people here. They exist, but that demographic has to be sought out. You deal with incredibly stupid people on a daily basis, in everything you do, which gets frustrating.

The weather will be an improvement, though. have you thought about looking at Tampa or Palm Beach County? Both have great weather and are a lot more American and livable. Tampa especially, very young and a much more educated demographic.

The above is totally correct. The lack of customer service and people not giving a shit will drive you insane. It is starting to really drive me nuts, to the point that I love it here, but if I have another year like I did this year with all the time spent at the dentist etc, Tampa is looking like a pretty sweet option right now.

No! Don't go to Tampa! I know someone who lives near there in St. Pete -- and they're completely miserable! Friends don't let friends move to Central Florida! California is the place you oughta be. You would like San Fran or San Diego, or maybe even Santa Monica. Anything with San in it...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast