Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Cost of living questions

Hi my family and I are moving to Miami soon, and I wanted to know what an average electric bill would be for a 1 BR apartment in Miami Beach - and I have read that South beach is expensive - and so are the grocery stores in miami beach more pricier than in downtown miami or the same?

i would say anywhere from $60-120 a month depending on season/how much AC you use/other stuff.

I have all utilities included in my rent which may be an option if you have a set income and don't want fluctuating bills in the summer. My friends electric bills run from $70-$100, depending on how much AC they use.

Default Re: Cost of living questions

Quote Originally Posted by topsykrett View Post
    Hi my family and I are moving to Miami soon, and I wanted to know what an average electric bill would be for a 1 BR apartment in Miami Beach - and I have read that South beach is expensive - and so are the grocery stores in miami beach more pricier than in downtown miami or the same?
    My average electric bill was about $50, but I had a studio and kept the temp at about 80*. I had a washer/dryer in my apt so I'm sure that made it a bit higher. You may also get a gas bill and cable so be sure to budget for those.

Prices depend on the grocery stores you shop in. Publix has reasonable prices in South Beach. I have met people who live on the Beach but make a point to go "off the beach" for shopping. Personally, I'd go "off the beach" for dry cleaning and getting a mani/pedi. $60-$70!

During the summer you WILL NEED Air conditioning, unless you live in a high rise, with large windows and excellent ventilation.

Those prices sound about right right. The only good thing about the summer heat is that you can take showers with cold water, and not use the heater.

If you are shopping at Publix, the major grocery store in South Florida, the difference between shopping at the ones on South Beach and the ones on the mainland are negligible. Like probably not worth the time, gas, and hassle of going to the other side of the Bay.

Same with Whole Foods, the one on the Beach is no more expensive than the ones on the mainland.

BUT if you want to save money, Winn Dixie and Sedano's are typically cheaper options. Dirtier, usually, not as nice and not as much selection. But cheaper.

The big difference you'll see in price is if you shop at the little grocery stores on like Washington Ave. Like Deco Supermarket and the like. Those are like Manhattan prices for groceries.

I don't even think Winn Dixie is much cheaper. It all depends. Some items they sell are more expensive.

Wine could be found cheaper at Publix than Winn Dixie. Some grocery items were cheaper at Winn Dixie.

As long as you stay out of Whole Foods you'll be fine. Although their salad/hot food is a good deal as an alternative to take out.

What about Sedano's?

Also, I have been told by some who comparison shop, that groceries all around are cheaper at the Midtown Target than any Publix.

Presidente is the cheapest grocery store around it seems. But it kinda makes me sick to my stomache to walk through it. I would steer clear of the meat there for sure, perhaps the produce and/or dry goods are good.

New User

just opened a new presidente in kendall

For day-to-day items, we used to go to the Meridian Market. Then about once a week or so, we'd make a run to the South Beach Publix. I agree -- prices there were comparable with the ones on the mainland. I would even venture to say they were a little cheaper than other Publix in Central Florida! And better selection, too. I miss the chimichurri sauce and exotic fruit juices, although I was surprised to see they sell La Llave even out here in Palm Springs, CA.
    Last edited by Doug; 12-02-2010 at 06:03 PM.

If you want a cheaper electricity bill don't get an apartment on a top floor. The building's roof may not be well insulated and so the unit gets hotter than one on a lower floor. I'm not saying this is true of all buildings, but just keep that in mind. Go see the apartment in the middle of the day without a/c and see what it feels like.

Also, if your building isn't in a shady area and it's a hi-rise keep in mind that those awesome views that come with big windows in an eastern/western exposure have a drawback: blazing sun will keep the apt hot in the morning and afternoon.

If you like windows open, make sure you're not on a major street because it will be very noisy and dusty.

Some apartment buildings include hot water because it is a community water heater, so you don't have to worry about those expenses in that case for showers and dish washing. That's a big plus. But if the water heater is in your unit, then you will be responsible for that as part of your electricity bill.

Those are great tips Maria. I wish I had you around eight years ago. After I sold my house in LA, I leased a 1br at Museum Tower in downtown LA. It had a great view of the Disney Concert Hall, facing NE. Little did I know, the heat radiating from the aluminium would tack another ten degrees through my unit.

Management eventually found a resolution, just after I moved for more sunshine in FL.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-02-2010 at 07:20 PM.

New User

it is depend
    we pay arround $100/month

Default Re: Cost of living questions

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    What about Sedano's?

Also, I have been told by some who comparison shop, that groceries all around are cheaper at the Midtown Target than any Publix.
    I don't think so. Every time I go to Target instead of publix I regret it. So many things they don't have and I think its more expensive. I only use target for those midweek "oh I ran out of something" runs.

I haven't shopped in Sedano's in a long time because they aren't really near to where I live. Navarro Pharmacy is supposed to be good for discounts but I only go there for cosmetics.

Another question along the same lines... I saw some posts from a few years ago explaining that the only cable/internet provider in SoBe is Atlantic Broadband. Is that still the case? We're moving out of temporary housing (yay!) in less than 2 weeks and need to start looking into cost of utilities.

I'm pretty sure that is not the case. Isn't comcast big here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast