Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Question Where to buy a condo in South Florida?

Central Florida Native seeking to buy a small Condo some where in So. Florida, or maybe Tampa. I travel a lot to Brazil on work assignments so being close to a major airport or MIA might be cool. I like Coral Gables but the wealthy Latins there dont jive with me 100%. Ft. Lauderdale seems viable but expensive east of Federal and around Las Olas. Got family near Gainesville but dont want to live there, but my Folks are there-only family I got. I am single, no kids, straight, 48 years old. And no, I will not live in SoBe.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jon Walters; 11-29-2010 at 02:40 PM.

If you don't jive with Hispanics, forget buying anywhere in Miami right now. First of all, a small condo somewhere like Brickell, which is a fun spot that's NOT South Beach, is full of wealthy Latins. So is the Gables. And any condo you'd buy that's nice is going to be expensive.

Lauderdale would probably be a better fit for you, even if East of Federal is expensive. It's probably comparable to what you'd find in any desirable part of Miami, so you're stuck there either way. And its a much more American crowd, and probably more people near your age than you'd find anywhere in Miami. At least Americans your age.

That all being said, if you want the American experience for a more-affordable price, Tampa really sounds like what you're looking for. Can you get nonstops from Tampa to Brazil? If you can, you're probably way better off there. Also, Tampa's not a far ride from Gainesville.

If you're basing the CFL latin angle on what go's on around Kissimmee and her environs, it's not exactly like that in Miami. I 'm kind of feeling that wave length from you. It's way better down in Miami because you don't have a dominant hispanic group fucking everything up. It's more organized when you you have a conglomerate of a variety hispanics fucking everything up, like in Miami. At least they are way better looking.

BIG THANKS GUYS !!!!

Still undecided ....

Tampa or Fort Lauderdale, not sure.

Thanks Again

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Re: Where to buy a condo in South Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Walters View Post
    BIG THANKS GUYS !!!!

Still undecided ....

Tampa or Fort Lauderdale, not sure.

Thanks Again
    Condos in Fort Lauderdale are holding their value or seem to be better than anywhere else in South Florida.

As far as the West Coast is concerned, I'm a huge Siesta Key fan.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    I'm a huge Siesta Key fan.
    Thanks Fred, and how do you like Siesta Key?

For me, the issue with SW Florida is it's kinda sleepy, Seniors and not much going on. I'm 44 years old, no kids, no married-and no plans to re-marry either. Naples, SK, Sarasota is cool to chill but I like a 24 hour vibe or an area I could go grocery shopping at 2AM and not have a problem. Downtown St. Pete or South Tampa might fit the bill or Fort Lauderdale downtown area.

Undecided ....

Thanks Fred, and how do you like Siesta Key?

For me, the issue with SW Florida is it's kinda sleepy, Seniors and not much going on. I'm 44 years old, no kids, no married-and no plans to re-marry either. Naples, SK, Sarasota is cool to chill but I like a 24 hour vibe or an area I could go grocery shopping at 2AM and not have a problem. Downtown St. Pete or South Tampa might fit the bill or Fort Lauderdale downtown area.

Undecided ....
    I think Siesta Key has one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet and I love how sunset is such a big celebration.

My husband and I (I'm 45 and he's 55) really enjoyed Sarasota this summer. He spent two months working on St. Armand's Circle this summer and I cashed in FF miles and flew in and out all summer. Sarasota has a pretty cool downtown area and is easy access to some incredible barrier islands (Sanibel, Siesta Key, Bird Key, Longboat Key, Lido Key, etc) and we were not bored in the least.

I would definitely live there.

As far as the east coast goes, I love Fort Lauderdale and it's definitely a yuppie enclave. I'd also live there in a heartbeat but I'm prejudiced as we have multiple friends with second homes there and spend a lot of time in Fort Lauderdale. I'd definitely live in Rio Vista or Venice Isles. Somewhere in the Las Olas vicinity.

Good luck!

Thanks .... I'll check out SK / Sarasota next week and Rio Vista / Venice Isles this weekend.

JW

Thanks .... I'll check out SK / Sarasota next week and Rio Vista / Venice Isles this weekend.

JW
    Make sure you stop by Cafe Martarono around 10PM. Tons of fun, great music, best meatball on the planet, tons of people late thirties and up. Very happening.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Make sure you stop by Cafe Martarono around 10PM. Tons of fun, great music, best meatball on the planet, tons of people late thirties and up. Very happening.
    Ditto the enthusiasm for the area. We've always shunned Siesta Key because of our affinity for Anna Maria/Holmes Beach. I'll have to check out their crystalized sand out next time out there. If we decide to remain in Florida, this is the area we will focus on to relocate.

Our second favorite FL beach is across the bay at Ft. DeSoto's North Beach.

Is Cafe Martarono the place that tangents south from the Circle ?

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Ditto the enthusiasm for the area. We've always shunned Siesta Key because of our affinity for Anna Maria/Holmes Beach. I'll have to check out their crystalized sand out next time out there. If we decide to remain in Florida, this is the area we will focus on to relocate.

Our second favorite FL beach is across the bay at Ft. DeSoto's North Beach.

Is Cafe Martarono the place that tangents south from the Circle ?
    Sorry UTS, I didn't clarify that I was speaking of Fort Lauderdale.

In Sarasota, we really enjoyed Ceviche downtown and their rooftop bar. On St. Armands I love Tommy Bahama. Their Tuna Poke tastes like summer and with a mojito, I'm done!

One of the things I love so much about the area is that you can live downtown Sarasota (who doesn't love Marina Jack?), have ocean views, and quick access to so many gorgeous beaches?

I'm back in US ... Doing a SoFl - FLL - Sara - Tampa tour all next week .... I'll post up my 2 cents when I finish.

Have A Nice Weekend Everyone.