Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Owning a convertible in Miami- practical?

Hellurrr!! Finally have a lil free time on my hands so I wanted to go ahead and make my first post, been lurking for a few months now. 21 years old, female, born&raised in NY, relocating to Miami in about a month or so. Will be working on my bachelors in marketing, plan on serving/bartending as income. Not looking to Miami for a career move just always been in love with the city and need a change of scenery for a little while. Im young, no kids no career, if this aint the time for impulse idk when is.

Anywho... Im crazy about mustangs... wondering if a convertible Mustang is smart to have while living in Miami. Did some research and seems like it just might be one of those things only tourists do lol. Wanted to ask yall... is the sun/heat that big of a problem where riding with the top down is unbearable?? Is it highly likely that someone may slice a hole in my soft top to break into my car?? Also such issues as higher insurance, etc... Anything I havent thought of... I had my heart set on a convertible but I want to hear from some locals before I go ahead and make a purchase I may regret. First car btw.

The typical Miami convertible owner rides around with the windows up, the top down and the AC on, so go for it.

all except the summer months yer

One of my best friends here has a convertible and its great. if you can afford it, go for it. We have the roof down all the time

New User

Default Re: Owning a convertible in Miami- practical?

LoL @Carlos... sounds like such an "image" thing... fine with me!

Jess when you say "if i can afford it", what are some of the expenses with owning a convertible as opposed to a regular coupe? Only thing I can think of is probably higher insurance and on the event someone breaks into my car, replacing the top.

Sorry I don't know insurance costs. I don't actually own a car myself, hence the 'if you can afford it'. It was more of an all encompassing statement about having a car here.

Yeah, insurance is already deadly expensive here, and more for a convertible.

It rains here. A lot. And the rain can come without warning. So you could leave your house and its sunny and gorgeous. Then you get on 95, and it's sick traffic, and then the clouds open up. And you're sitting there in a white shirt getting pissed on. Happens ALL the time. And, honestly, you never really know when it's going to rain. You get the odd days, like today, when it's clearly gonna be sunny all day. Of course it's cold too. But most days, you may just run into a shower and you're f**ked.

I don't think it's practical here unless you want to ride with the top up a lot to avoid potential rain. Jess' friend with the convertible rarely leaves the Beach, so his drives aren't that long, and they don't go inland or north, where you find more precipitaion. My guess is if you're studying/bartending you will be going to a lot of different parts of town, and therefore the chance of you getting rained on increases exponentially.

Makes sense in LA or Phoenix. Not really in Miami.

Get one! It's usually sunny and you can put the top on in 5 seconds if it starts raining. In the summer you'll fry if you're in slow traffic on the highway and it's 95 degrees. You can't have the top down. I see a lot of convertibles driving around, so it's not a tourist thing. Although it's fun to drive down Ocean Dr. in a convertible and blast your radio and pretend you're a tourist!

Isn't there a cute new VW convertible out?

Most of those convertibles are driven by tourists, Christy. I know exactly ONE person here who has one. And that is Jess' aforementioned friend.

Today I left West Palm at 5. It was perfectly sunny, not a cloud to be seen. As I drove back to Miami, the sun went down, and when I crossed the County line into Dade, it started pouring. All the way to the beach. What would I have done, Christy, if I had my top down? Pulled over to the side of 95 in a dark rainstorm? Yeah, that's safe. Pulled off an exit in Opa Locka? Even LESS safe.

yeah i agree with matt, not really convenient.

during the middle of the day in the summer you will definitely want the dark tinted windows up with the AC blasting

yes it is warm here year round, so there are plenty of opportunities to roll down your windows, but those do not include: bumper to bumper traffic on US 1 or Kendall Drive, driving through a random sketchy neighborhood, rain, really humid hot days, etc.

you should just leave it to tourists and rich people who can afford to have one just to keep around and drive for pleasure, for commuting it's not realistic

You see Sebrings more than anything in my experience, but I don't get the fact that you have to be rich to own a convertible. A current year Mustang will probably run you $35 large with the extras unless you want to bump up to the Shelby.

If you end up getting it, I'd suggest you personalize it a a speciality plate so the bad guys can distinguish you from a tourist.

As Matt said, you can get caught in a rain and be in a bad postion. I had a 78 Trans AM T-Top in HS which was worse to put back on.

But who cares if people think you are a tourist? The point is to enjoy it, not care what others think. And if you do, well, that's just sad.

People think I'm a tourist all year round anyway with my accent, why not throw in a convertible too

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Most of those convertibles are driven by tourists, Christy. I know exactly ONE person here who has one. And that is Jess' aforementioned friend.

Today I left West Palm at 5. It was perfectly sunny, not a cloud to be seen. As I drove back to Miami, the sun went down, and when I crossed the County line into Dade, it started pouring. All the way to the beach. What would I have done, Christy, if I had my top down? Pulled over to the side of 95 in a dark rainstorm? Yeah, that's safe. Pulled off an exit in Opa Locka? Even LESS safe.
    Yes that's the same person I know and he really enjoys it! The convertibles today have motorized tops, so you just press a button to adjust the top. I dated someone with a vintage Mercedes convertible and that car was a PITA as far as putting the top up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    But who cares if people think you are a tourist? The point is to enjoy it, not care what others think. And if you do, well, that's just sad.

People think I'm a tourist all year round anyway with my accent, why not throw in a convertible too
    Ask the German family that had their kin killed because the rental car was targeted by thugs. Since then, rental agencies have done all possible to remove all markings. Miami got good print on this nationally back then after a few incidences.

But consider this: In the 1990s there was a string of murders and robberies along the highways of Florida, as criminals targeted tourists through an identifying Z or Y on the license plates of their rental cars.
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/crim...erous_law.html

That was obviously not clear on my post expect perhaps for a few that remember.

Other than that, I'm with you in not caring what peeps think, and I certaintly don't give a crap about who's a local or who's wandering about.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-07-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I had a convertible for a couple of years and I live in a warm weather state and there were actually only a couple of days in the year I took the top down. It was a PIA.

You cannot take the top down if you have long hair unless you have on a hat then you take the chance of the hat blowing off your head then your hair blows in your face, you cannot see, you have an accident.

You cannot take the top down if you are on your way to go out in public. See above remark about hair.

You cannot take the top down because it's either too hot or too cold or its raining.

You cannot keep anything of any worth anywhere in your car or it will get stolen. They'll also cut your roof to get in your car and your roof will have to be replaced.

Convertible roofs leak. The hot sun of Florida and the sea salt will destroy to soft top and it will no longer keep out rain.

I suggest you rent a convertible for a weekend and get it out of your system.

Sebrings can immediately be spotted as tourist cars, because those are pretty much the only people who drive those. It's still pretty easy to spot a rental. Late model economy cars that are very clean and don't have a license plate frame, I'm say 80% of the time belong to a rental company.

UTS, did you ever see my wrapup of the tourist shootings?

True Crime: Dead German Tourist: Not Just a Miami Punk Rock Band - Miami Beach 411

Hi Cake,

I personally would get a regular coupe. A friend of mine has a new Mustang and he did not opt for a convertible.

My ex boyfriend, a transplant from New York going though a midlife crisis, got a Beamer convertible. our relationship broke up for other reasons but I can tell you that I pretty much got sunburned the first day he had to have the top down and this after I made a pit stop to buy sunscreen.

So yeah, he is the only person I know with a convertible. I have only known one other local with a convertible and that was in way back in high school. Do the math -- locals don't really do convertibles and seriously, you will be sick of doing the Ocean Drive crawl with all the ghetto cars from Hialeah. That will get old real quick.

So there is all this to consider: heat, sun damage, bad hair, higher insurance and theft. You won't be putting that top down in the sweltering summer, either. Also, in a region where there are shootings on highways, you want to have as much metal around you as possible.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it.

That being said, Matt ... the rain is no big deal. Convertibles have motorized tops these days so you can cover the car immediately. It takes seconds.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    ... in a region where there are shootings on highways, you want to have as much metal around you as possible.
    Haha, that is the best reason yet.

...That being said, Matt ... the rain is no big deal. Convertibles have motorized tops these days so you can cover the car immediately. It takes seconds.
    Do those motorized tops work if you're doing 65 on a freeway?

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Dunno what all the fuss s'about??
    Got my '63 Impala ragtop
    Low pro rim
    Hydraulic (from Hymie's)
    neon
    600 W stereo
    2 plasma's in trunk

I think I'm pretty fly
    Yes you are rk!

Yes you are!

That was a pretty good synopsis. Remember hearing about these weekly episodes from afar. It became a national joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast