Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Hey I'm 18. I Want To Move To Miami. Need Advice Please

I been working since I 16. I saved up $2355. From x mas money. Graduation money and working.

I have a plan I'm going to University of Baltimore as of right now. My first year so I'm undecided what I'm going to major in. I think I might go for counseling or game design but that's not guranteed. The job I have right now I get payed every week. So I put $50 dollars away every time I get payed.

I'm trying to save up about $6000 by age 24.I want to move there by 25. Look since I have no clue about renting or moving somewhere. Can you give me some advice on how I should do this.

I been to Miami plenty of times with my family. Soon I already checked Miami out

yer wait to u have the money then post again. 7 yrs ahead of time is not ideal as heaps changes in 7 yrs

I think at a young age like yours it's great to have a goal in mind. It will keep you in school and working hard. If you ask me going to college is the perfect time to move! You're not really moving you're just living in a dorm and going home for the holidays. No pressure and it's easy to meet people. Talk to a counselor about transferring to Miami.

I'm not sure what the difference is between in state and out of state tuition is, but there are always need based, athletic, and academic scholarships out there. If I had to do it over I would've attended college in California. I don't know what I was thinking back then!

What is it about Miami that you like?

Default Re: Hey I'm 18. I Want To Move To Miami. Need Advice Please

I just like it there. Where I am now is like nothing. Nothing here but farms! lol

Since you're young, probably the easiest way for you to make the transition is to be somebody's roommate. You would probably like living in South Beach the best, and you could probably find a job in the service industry, as long as you come with a little nest egg to get you through the first few months. You'll have to withstand the temptations to spend it all on clubbing and alcohol/drugs, but if you have a good head on your shoulders, you should be able to keep your priorities straight!

Quote Originally Posted by croatbob View Post
    yer wait to u have the money then post again. 7 yrs ahead of time is not ideal as heaps changes in 7 yrs
    Also, you should put some of that money in a savings account.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    I think at a young age like yours it's great to have a goal in mind. It will keep you in school and working hard. If you ask me going to college is the perfect time to move! You're not really moving you're just living in a dorm and going home for the holidays. No pressure and it's easy to meet people. Talk to a counselor about transferring to Miami.

I'm not sure what the difference is between in state and out of state tuition is, but there are always need based, athletic, and academic scholarships out there. If I had to do it over I would've attended college in California. I don't know what I was thinking back then!

For State Universities, out of state tuition is 3 times the amount that Florida residents pay.

I plan on moving here before 25

I want to move before 25

Quote Originally Posted by croatbob View Post
    Who says I want to move now lol I said around 25

I'm just sick of being around FARMS. I want to be around something new.New people.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Since you're young, probably the easiest way for you to make the transition is to be somebody's roommate. You would probably like living in South Beach the best, and you could probably find a job in the service industry, as long as you come with a little nest egg to get you through the first few months. You'll have to withstand the temptations to spend it all on clubbing and alcohol/drugs, but if you have a good head on your shoulders, you should be able to keep your priorities straight!

So it is really possible for me to move straight after college. Or is it possible to transfer in 2 years.

Hey aero,

I'm kind of worried because:

1. You have no specific reasons why you want to move to Miami, other than it's a city and not a cornfield.

2. You don't know the transfer policies of the college you're currently attending or want to attend in Miami.

3. Only you would know whether or not you want to move right after college.

4. You "have no clue about renting or moving somewhere."

5. Not to be super picky, but you don't use question marks and spell paid as payed.

You should know the answers to these very basic questions so you can ask more specific questions about relocating here. I think it's great that you found this site but I don't think you're anywhere close to being able to relocate to a city on your own. Check out some of the articles here that Matt and Doug wrote about relocating and finding an apartment to rent. I do wish you the best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aero398 View Post
    So it is really possible for me to move straight after college. Or is it possible to transfer in 2 years.
    I wasn't really addressing the question of college, only the larger question of moving to Miami, whenever you do decide to make the jump. What to do with college is up to you, but as Matt points out, if you go to move to Miami and go to college, you're going to have to pay out-of-state tuition, which would be really expensive. If you want me to advise you about college, I'd say finish it in Baltimore or wherever you've been accepted. In the meantime, just come to Miami during breaks and summer vacation. That way you can get to know it and make sure it's the right place for you after you graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I wasn't really addressing the question of college, only the larger question of moving to Miami, whenever you do decide to make the jump. What to do with college is up to you, but as Matt points out, if you go to move to Miami and go to college, you're going to have to pay out-of-state tuition, which would be really expensive. If you want me to advise you about college, I'd say finish it in Baltimore or wherever you've been accepted. In the meantime, just come to Miami during breaks and summer vacation. That way you can get to know it and make sure it's the right place for you after you graduate.

Thanks dude

Hey aero,

I'm kind of worried because:

1. You have no specific reasons why you want to move to Miami, other than it's a city and not a cornfield.

2. You don't know the transfer policies of the college you're currently attending or want to attend in Miami.

3. Only you would know whether or not you want to move right after college.

4. You "have no clue about renting or moving somewhere."

5. Not to be super picky, but you don't use question marks and spell paid as payed.

You should know the answers to these very basic questions so you can ask more specific questions about relocating here. I think it's great that you found this site but I don't think you're anywhere close to being able to relocate to a city on your own. Check out some of the articles here that Matt and Doug wrote about relocating and finding an apartment to rent. I do wish you the best of luck!

Wow. Its the internet I type very quick so what lmao. You want to go right now lol

Quote Originally Posted by aero398 View Post
    I been working since I 16. I saved up $2355. From x mas money. Graduation money and working.
    Son, you're 18 and moving to So. Florida ?

---

Here's a little bit about me:

In 1992 I was almost 30 living in my VW Rabbitt in the Hollywood Hills, broke, starving Actor.

At 19 I was working alone in the middle of Central Florida prying Railroad spikes making $5.00 and Hour.

Young people have it pretty good now-a-days!