Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Question Best place in SoBe near MacArthur for a 19yo to live?

Hey there! I swore i've posted on here before, but apparently I have zero posts. I hate just jumping in with a Q w/out a proper intro but alas, some of you know me and one of my SoFla besties is Maria and gotta love how I used an avatar of me next to hot fine Gus. Anywho...hello! I am Pam.

So yes, even though I don't look old enough to have kids (haha), I have an almost 19 yo son who is in the US Coast Guard and just finished his training and will be stationed in Miami at the station right there off of MacArthur Cswy. We were hoping he would stay in those little apts they have at the station you can see as you cross that last bridge into SoBe, but I guess he has to live out on the economy. Sigh...

Of course, all of this makes me a bit nervous. I want a place that is safe for him, easy to get to his USCG station and affordable. Looking for a studio or a 1/1. Probably asking too much, but ideally under $1300 since that is his total housing allowance. Roommate situation is probably not a good idea since he will have odd rotating hours.

We will be down all next week looking, but any places that we should check out OR even better, avoid at all costs would be greatly appreciated! I hope to find something ASAP so i can enjoy having Tinis with Maria served by some Poolboy!

Thanks in advance so much!

Pam
    @pamrocksworld

Hi, Pam! Welcome to the forums! For proximity to the Causeway, you may be able to get a condo sublet south of Fifth (Street). The best way I've found to look for a new place is to just walk around the neighborhood you like until you see what you're looking for, look for a sign and jot the number down. I don't have a lot of experience with larger, high-rise type buildings, as I prefer the old deco style for their in/out convenience, privacy, and lower cost. But you don't get the awesome views in deco places! Maybe if you check with the front desks of some of these condolopolises, you'll find someone who is looking to sublet. You may also opt to contact a property management company. I tend to avoid them, because they always come up with a thousand and one ways of padding the rent with incidental fees like application fees and pet deposits, which can sometimes be avoided dealing 1-on-1 with an owner. Anyhow, here's a link to some local management companies:

Miami Property Management Companies - Find apartments for rent in South Beach

Good luck in your search!

Everything Doug said is exactly what I'd say. I don't think there are any better recommendations, so go with that. I also think South of Fifth is his best bet because it's the easiest place to get on the MacArthur. So he'll never really get stuck in much traffic.

What a lucked-out assignment.

My dearest Pam! One of our fave and active members here is looking for a roommate. He lives at the Waverly and I think that's about the amount he's asking for. He may not mind the weird hours provided the boy is considerate and responsible ... I'll put you guys in touch.

Otherwise I "third" everything Doug and Matt have said. Stay south of fifth.

Also, might there be other coast guarders in that same situation, looking for a roommate?

Pam, check your email. I sent you and Bob a PM (Private Message) to make the introduction.

rk

Certainly south of fifth is a good neighborhood (I see they're repaving all the streets and sidewalks since FG started investing there), the location is great, but there are some poor quality buildings mixed in with the good ones. You should also look at the West Ave corridor (where bob has his place), the Flamingo neighborhood, plus downtown/Brickell.

Excellent point, RK. Same is true for some areas just north of 5th.