Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Lightbulb Attending Miami Ad School in SoBe

I've decided to Attend MAS next year for some professional growth. My current company has a location in Ft Laud that I can transfer to but as I'm sure you know the school is in SoBe. I used to live in Chicago but will be relocating from KC. I REALLY enjoy the walk ability of SoBe and the nightlife, however I don't want that to distract me from my current goals. My partner and American Bulldog will be moving with me. Any suggestions on areas to live, maybe something kinda middle ground between the two? I attend WMC every year with that said, I'm no stranger to SoBe life as much as I love it, I fear it for a regular life and for my relationship. I give in to house music and booze waaaay to easily! Lol I'm an artsy kinda guy often been called bohemian, any creative areas to suggest? Maybe something up and coming that I won't spend over $700? What are gas prices currently? Oh my partner is a labor kinda guy, what's the warehouse industry like as far as jobs?

Heard some decent things about that school. Are you a numbers and marketing planning guy or in for the creative angle ?

I'm interested in your decision to relocate to KC and wanting to grow professionally at the same time. Isn't your biggest fish in the area Payless Shoes in Topeka ? I'm sure you have your reasons but I'd still consider sofl for on hands growth opportinities in this field. It however may only work if you know Spanish.

Good luck and please keep informed. Any insight to your experiences at the AD Schoo in SoBel would be appreciated.

New User

Default Re: Attending Miami Ad School in SoBe

Oh I didn't move to KC for growth and I would highly advise anyone to avoid the city unless you're from the Midwest. There's a lot of major companies with their Headquaters here ie; Hallmark Cards, HR Block... I need to work on my portfolio, that's why I've decided on MAS.

Hi ritmo99, welcome to the forums! Please clarify ... are you working in Ft. Lauderdale but attending school? I'm not sure if you're going to school full-time or if you will have to commute between Broward and South Beach. If I know this, I can better advise you.

$700/month is going to be really tough in South Beach or anywhere that's decent for that matter.

Not sure about labor or warehouse job, sorry.

New User

I'll be working in FtL and going to school in SoBe

Small world, Ritmo. I'm from KC myself, and one of my friends who used to work at Hallmark HQ is currently at MAS as part of a career shift from design to photography. The school helped her find affordable housing by referring her to a fellow student seeking a roommate for their 2BR/2BA. This might not work for somebody with a partner and bulldog in tow, but it's worth checking out.

Keep in mind that in South Beach, "affordable housing" typically means "more than $700 per month." I understand MAS programs are also very rigorous, and will impact your ability to work on the side. You can work+study, but only if you hustle.

Hi Ritmo, I agree with Mande work and school is going to be tough, but everything is possible! Commuting from Fort Lauderdale to South Beach isn't ideal, so I guess you need to pick where you want to end up every day.

You already know about So Be. We have a thread here about living in downtown Fort Lauderdale, which I encourage you to browse:

Pros and Cons About Living Around Downtown Fort Lauderdale & Beaches

From the responses so far, I gather MAS is not heavy on the analytical aspect of advertising but offers massive doses on the creative end, which is fine. They're well compensated and get all the public recognition.

Too bad Clio is no longer being held in Miami as it has every few years. That would have been a great experience for you.

Good Luck with your efforts.

There's the AdFed awards though ... I went to the awards ceremony earlier this year.

I'll have to ask the Mrs. about that. We/She get invitations all the time to attend this or that.

She's still in the biz at Miami based Y&R's Hispanic Arm. A VP in fact. While I dabble at it from time to time with a Coral Gables based agency, I'm still enjoying my John Lennon period raising a daughter. Right now, that's my full time job until I decide to jump back into the fray.

I'm being constantly head hunted by some agencies that know me back home in LA. The question my family has right now is, do I capitulate and stay in FL and handle the Hispanic Market which I abhor, or just pretend. The Hispanic Market is no special than any other. The same principals I've learned still apply. These specific agencies don't get that.

In six to eight months, we'll hash out if we are to become full time Miami residents in the short term. I've already made it clear, our daughter is to be educated in CA by the time she reaches HS age.