Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Moving to North beach or South beach?

I'm about to be 17 in January of 2011. I have lived in Atlanta for my entire life up until 2 months ago, I moved to Lexington Ky temporarly until I'm 18. I'm already graduated from high school, and live with my uncle on account of my mom kicked me out. Anyways, I've always wanted to live in Miami and have plans to move when I turn 18 which is not until January of 2012(about a year from now). Yes, I have a good amount of money saved up from working & money I've been given and plan to continue saving until that time.I plan to find a job down there before i move and set up apartment arrangements before i do the final move also. -long story short. So anyways, I was wondering how North beach is compared to south beach? I definitely want to live close to the beach,just not directly on it b/c the appartments are pretty pricey(beach front that is) but other I've looked at are reasonable around 700-800$/m. What are the differences as far as culture,night life,clean ness, people,area,everything.Also, what are the things I would need to do at that time to actually make the move,bsides load all my shit up & drive there?Any advice having to do with the move or anything related to the article would be appreciated too! Thanks!<3

Many of the people who work in South Beach live on North Beach. It's just more residential, but there are plenty of restaurants and a few bars to hang out at night.

It's just nothing compared to South Beach.

But it's a safe area where you will probably meet lots of young people.

Hi alexgravy,

Moving involves:

1. Taking a trip to Miami to find an apartment, give a deposit, sign a lease. Line up showings with a Realtor (no cost to you) in advance. Make sure you get a copy of your lease and photocopy all the checks you write the landlord.

2. When you arrive set up your electric, gas, and internet/cable services.

3. Go to the post office and do a change of address.

4. Your drivers license will be good here.

5. Apply for a residential parking permit.

6. Clean apt, unpack, and hit the beach!

Hi Alex, you've got youth and enthusiasm on your side, and that counts for a lot! North Beach, like Carlos says, is more relaxed and residential, but there are probably more money-making opportunities for you in South Beach. If you live in the area just south of Flaming Park, there are lots of vacancies in affordable buildings, and things aren't as hectic as they tend to be along Washington, Collins and Ocean. The main downside of living in North Beach, I would say, is that you would probably be driving back and forth all the time to South Beach for work and fun.

Here's an article I wrote about how I made the move to South Beach from New Orleans. Maybe it'll give you some ideas:

How I Moved to South Beach: Budget-Minded Tips from A New Resident - Miami Beach 411

New User

Thanks you so much! You guys have truely helped.Doug, I read your article through and it has made me a lot more clear as far as an apartment arangements would go. Also, as far as jobs go- like I said I have a High School Education and after I move I plan on going to cosmotology school down there,but in the mean time,where I'm at right now,I want something fun. I'm thinking about bartending or dancing. Where are the best clubs at?or the best known? I know a girl that works at Deans Gold, which I believe is in North beach, I also know a girl that works at a club in south beach,but don't know the name. Of course I havn't personally been to either. From what I've heard from the people I have talked to, South beach is more of a "party" area. Is this true?
    And is the commute from Nb to Sb difficult by car?
    Doug-you said theres more money-making opportunities in south beach,like what?
    Thanks!

Hi, the commute from North Beach to South Beach is kind of tedious, really. It's a lot of starting and stopping, redlights and heavy traffic. It can be done in about 20 minutes, especially if you take one of the back roads, but you're still going through residential neighborhoods and can't go very fast. Doing that all the time would get old, quickly! Plus it's hard to find parking in South Beach. So if you plan to be working or spending any amount of time there, it's probably less stressful to just live there in one of the less crowded areas.

By financial opportunities, I mean that South Beach is the center of the tourist industry in Miami. So there are many jobs in restaurants, bars, night clubs and hotels. The money can be good, especially if you have the kind of job where you can get tips. The night life will be much livelier in South Beach. Ultimately, though, you'll need to come down and spend time in both areas to see what feels right for you. Naturally, if you're not much of a party type and you're able to find a job in North Beach, you wouldn't need to do so much driving back and forth. You'll just have to see what doors open for you in Miami Beach and base your living location on that.

New User

Yeah I'm sure going back and fourth daiy or even a few times a week would get annoying.
    I guess,like you said, I'll just have to see what avenues open up for me at the time, or suite me best at the time. Thanks so much for all your help and advice!

New User

I am actively looking for an apartment in any of the beach neighborhoods. I found an apartment I fell in love with on Marseille on Normandy Isle. One of my closest friends is a Miami Beach Homicide Detecitve and I have been running different addresses by her before renting. When I have her the address of this particular apartment she said it would be a BIG mistake for me to move there. She says of all the different areas of Miami Beach, Normandy Isle (in particular the area of Marseille, Calais, etc) has the highest incidents of car & apartment burglaries & there is a high concentration of drug gangs. I was heartbroken because I LOVED LOVED LOVED that apartment. The only down side of the apt was it only had street parking - which made me worry about the car robberies.
    I am a 32 yr old single female who will be arriving home late nights often & would have to walk my dog at that time so I chose not to take the apartment and err on the side of caution.

Default Re: Moving to North beach or South beach?

Quote Originally Posted by alexgrayy View Post
    Thanks you so much! You guys have truely helped.Doug, I read your article through and it has made me a lot more clear as far as an apartment arangements would go. Also, as far as jobs go- like I said I have a High School Education and after I move I plan on going to cosmotology school down there,but in the mean time,where I'm at right now,I want something fun. I'm thinking about bartending or dancing. Where are the best clubs at?or the best known? I know a girl that works at Deans Gold, which I believe is in North beach, I also know a girl that works at a club in south beach,but don't know the name. Of course I havn't personally been to either. From what I've heard from the people I have talked to, South beach is more of a "party" area. Is this true?
    And is the commute from Nb to Sb difficult by car?
    Doug-you said theres more money-making opportunities in south beach,like what?
    Thanks!
    If you plan on going to cosmotology school then maybe you'd enjoy working in a spa, salon, or make-up store. There are a ton to choose from. You said you've saved up a ton of money from working. What did you do and is there any possibility you can do that in Miami? Bartending and dancing gigs are difficult to get, especially with no experience.