Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default ZIPcars in Miami! Rent by the hour or by the day.

I didn't realize we had a ZIPcars service in Miami. You can rent a car by the hour or by the day and drive up to 180 miles per day without additional charges. Pick up locations are on the University of Miami Coral Gables and Medical campuses. Both locations are easily accessible by metrorail.

There is an application and annual fee to join but then you can reserve Zipcars in any city where they are available.

Charges are $8/hour or up to $65/day this includes gas and insurance!

A friend of mine is visiting town and this was so convenient for her today as she only needed a car for six hours to go up to West Broward and back. She was staying at The Best Miami Hotel in South Miami so getting to the car at the Coral Gables campus was very easy and convenient.

I think this combo could be great for visitors who want inexpensive, no-frills accommodations yet want to explore the beaches and other parts of Miami-Dade without having to rent a car for an entire trip or an entire day. This is also good for locals who don't own cars.

By the way, you must return the ZIPcar to its original location so this is good for short trips only, up to four days. If you need shuttle service to the ports and airports, try the transportation options offered on this website.

To learn more visit Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar

With the annual fees, hourly fees, etc., I'm not sure I can agree this is a good deal. Enterprise will pick you up at your hotel and return you there. You can rent for a day. No annual fee. No mileage limit. We have used Enterprise for a single day rental while in South Beach. You can drive to Key Wesy and back. With ZipCar, you'd go over the 180 mile limit. You also need to get your self to Coral Gables, and back from Coral Gables somehow (Taxi $?, shuttle $?, etc.).

If you really only need the car for an couple hours, maybe it's worth it? What is the annual fee? And how much to get to, and back from, Coral Gables?

ZipCar might work in some cases, but I'd weigh it against something like Enterprise first.

Glenn

My friend also priced Enterprise and it was $30 more expensive than Zipcars on this particular day.

A regular rental agency may make more sense if you don't have to add on the insurance fees and you are doing long term and long distance.. I think Zipcars is competitive because insurance and gas is included.

If you stayed overnight in Key West you could do the Zipcar as it's less than 180 miles from the pick-up locations.

Also the Zipcars are located at the University of Miami. This makes a lot of sense for students and out-of-towners involved in campus. And as I mentioned, if you stay in South Miami, the Zipcar could be very convenient as it will cost you about $5 to get to the car round trip on the Metrorail.

Great points, Maria.

Glenn

Glenn, funny ... it came up randomly in conversation yesterday. A friend of mine uses them a lot when she goes to NYC.

One of the perks of ZIPcars is that you reserve online and then you just show up and go. It's computerized with a card. The key is in the ignition and the gas card is in the car.

New User

I heard about this service back in Atlanta where their located at all the major marta stations so it was super convenient for local commuters to pick one up and go. Hopefully they plan on adding locations down in sobe, now that would be nice!