Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default $700 for studio in Miami Beach?

My girlfriend and I just looked at a studio in Miami Beach - not Sobe, further north - and the rent is $700 per month. That seems to be too good to be true. We looked up the landlord's e-mail address and all that sort of thing. He had the keys, showed us the apartment and everything. He seems to be legit, but the price is so low that it seems hard to believe.

We are both from New York City, so perhaps our ideas of what a studio should cost are a bit off. My question is this: there's nothing about this guy that sends up a red flag aside from the price. Is $700 a relatively normal price for a studio in Miami Beach?

Thanks!

$700 in North Beach is very normal. You can sometimes find them in South Beach for that price so don't be alarmed. Miami prices are nothing like NY prices... and thank goodness!

Yep. that's a pretty standard price. Actually, for north of South Beach that's a little high. Not like, you should negotiate high, but like on the large side of average. This sounds perfectly legit.

Just be careful with your security deposit.

$700 is definately fair game for North Beach.

That price is pretty good, just google up the guy real well, before doing business.

Yeah be mindful of your security as Matt says. I've lost two so far... Miami landlords suck.

New User

Default Re: $700 for studio in Miami Beach?

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. You've set me more at ease. He gave me a receipt for the deposit, and he also gave me his home address.

After desperately searching for apartments in NYC that were either studio or a single bedroom, and finding that $1,100 per month was too good of a deal - in the city's "less desirable" neighborhoods - to actually find a place made me leery of any price that seems anywhere near reasonable.

We've signed the lease and all, but out of curiosity, what would be the cost of a low-end apartment in a poorer neighborhood in Miami-Dade?

In Little Havana, which is a poorer area that you could still live in relatively safely, you can get 1 BRs for around $600. $700-$900 if you want something a little nicer. I'm not sure what studios go for around there.

Similarly, if you want to go out to suburbia like Kendall, Westchester or Flagami, you can get a 1 BR in the same price range. Nicer areas but far from everything.

Not sure what rents are in the Overtown-Liberty City area, but those are not areas you'd want to live in.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    In Little Havana, which is a poorer area that you could still live in relatively safely, you can get 1 BRs for around $600. $700-$900 if you want something a little nicer. I'm not sure what studios go for around there.

Similarly, if you want to go out to suburbia like Kendall, Westchester or Flagami, you can get a 1 BR in the same price range. Nicer areas but far from everything.

Not sure what rents are in the Overtown-Liberty City area, but those are not areas you'd want to live in.
    Would it be difficult to find a sublet in Little Havana? What would be the best way to go about looking for one? Little Havana intreagues me because I'm bilingual and I want to practice my Spanish every day. That's part of my reason for wanting to spend some time in Miami. I asked earlier about subletting a student apartment, but I would rather live in a more ethnic neighborhood or be closer to the beach. I am also on a budget and I have never been one for luxury. Safety is important too, but I'm a 200lb. guy, so hopefuly I could walk down the street at night without being picked on.

Yeah, I"m also a 200 pound guy and had no problems walking around there at all hours.

Subletting in LH? I have no idea, because that's not an area for investment properties, vacation rentals or students. Like everyone living there is a long-term local who has probably been there a long time. But there's a ton of buildings there with rental untis, so walking around I'm sure you can find something.

And you can practice your Spanish all day, every day in ALL of Miami. Like the whole city could be called "Little Havana."

Quote Originally Posted by progress518 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the helpful info. You've set me more at ease. He gave me a receipt for the deposit, and he also gave me his home address.

After desperately searching for apartments in NYC that were either studio or a single bedroom, and finding that $1,100 per month was too good of a deal - in the city's "less desirable" neighborhoods - to actually find a place made me leery of any price that seems anywhere near reasonable.

We've signed the lease and all, but out of curiosity, what would be the cost of a low-end apartment in a poorer neighborhood in Miami-Dade?
    If the landlord gave you a receipt (which is required by law) and his home addy you are definately good to go. I know you were curious, but i think you're better off in North Beach. You can walk to the beach, shopping, and restaurants, and you're minutes from Sobe, and Aventura. It's more convenient over there for you especially, if you are new to the area.

North Beach, though, is incredibly inconvenient to the rest of the city. Like unless you're within 5-10 blocks of the 195 Causeway, you're looking at 15-20 minutes just to get off the Beach. I like that area, but I could never live there for that reason.