Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Post Young Professional looking to move from DC

All,
    I am a 32, yr old young professional looking to relocate to Miami for career reasons. My new job is in the blue lagoon area and is looking to see whats the best place to relocate to in Miami. I would like to live by the water, restaurants and bars and other social activities but would also like peaceful atmosphere. I have heard good things about Doral, Brickel and Coconut grove. Any ideas on which one is better in price range and YP neighborhood?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Silvian

Hi, when you say you want to be by the water, do you mean a beach where you can swim? Or is a harbor with boats enough? Because in Coconut Grove, there is a nice harbor, but there is no beach for swimming. Brickell is also not a swimming place, but there are nice views of the water. Brickell has a lot of highrises. I personally don't find highrises very peaceful, because there are so many people living there, it's kind of crowded on the elevators, etc.

For beach and peaceful together, the best area to live would be mid or North Beach on Miami Beach. It's right by the ocean, convenient to restaurants and bars, but isn't as crazy as South Beach. It's also an easy commute to Blue Lagoon from Miami Beach because it's against traffic.

If you want a Young Professionals' scene, Brickell is probably your best bet. Now, mind you, that scene is nothing like it is in other cities in America. Like our YP scene here is very small and VERY Latin. Like most of the ones you meet with be from South America. As in the vast majority.

Brickell, however, is not near the water really. I mean, it's ON the water, but so is Lower Manahttan if you think about it. South Beach might be your best bet if you wanna be near water and at least younger people. Not professionals, as it's very transient and most people are working some weird job or are in the service industry. But you get a lot of younger folks.

Another area to consider would be midtown Miami. Again, not really "waterfront" per se, but it does border the bay. And you get a good number of younger professionals up there, especially because the rents are lower than they are in Brickell and similar areas.

Incidentally, all of these areas offer a reasonable commute to Blue Lagoon. Avoid Doral as it is boring and will put you in nasty traffic.

New User

Default Re: Young Professional looking to move from DC

Doug and Matt,
    Thanks very much for the replies.
    When I say water, I meant water view (doesn't have to be beachy either, a lake, or waterfront view), i am not big swimmer. Just looking for a safe reseanable yipee area. I am not a big on south beach since I think it is too much of a party atmosphere.
    Would like to be walkable from restaurants, bars and coffee shops?

Btw, what is midtown Miami? Seems like a good option to consider too. Is coconut grove safe area?

Thanks again
    Silvian
    Last edited by silvian; 02-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Glad to help! Midtown Miami is just north of downtown Miami. It is roughly divided by NE 20th Street to the south, I-195 to the north, I-95 to the west and Biscayne Bay to the east. I personally find it a little rough, and don't think it would have a very good nightlife.

The North Beach neighborhood of Miami Beach is much safer and has lots of restaurants and bars. It has a very large Brazilian and Argentine population. South Beach is also much quieter on the western side, like between Alton Road and Meridian south of Flamingo Park, for example, so you can live there and not get into the party scene at all. It is a little overcrowded, though. I mean there are quiet parts of it, but you inevitably have to go through the busy parts any time you want to run errands.

Coconut Grove is mostly safe, except for the western edge, where there are a lot of drug deals happening. If you stay close to the harbor there, it's very nice. Parking may be a little tough, so try to find a place that has off-street parking, if possible, if you decide on it.

Ultimately, you'll need to visit these neighborhoods and see which one has the right feel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Brickell, however, is not near the water really. I mean, it's ON the water, but so is Lower Manahttan if you think about it.
    I hate to be a ball breaker, but all of Manhattan is on the water. You can see a lot more water from many of the skyscrapers down there compared to other parts. People up here aren't as hung up on having water views here as they are in Miami.

New User

Default Sunny Isles and Aventura

Thanks again. As I was narrowing it down to brickel, coconut grove someone told me about Sunny Isles and Aventura. What are your thoughts on those? Is it too far of a commute from Blue Lagoon?

Thanks,
    Silvian

Yeah, anywhere north is gonna be miserable to go to Blue Lagoon. 95 South in the morning is awful, not to mention the miles of street driving you'd have to do from S.I. or Aventura just to get to 95. Def. avoid those areas.

North Beach is even worse in terms of driving. Not a bad area, but you're 20 minutes from the freeway minimum, then once you get on 95 you're in a traffic jam all the way downtown. Plus you can't get on the HOT lanes from there (Toll lanes that letyou bypass most of the awful 95 traffic) so you're doubly screwed.

You can also look South of 5th street in South Beach, as that is a lot quieter. Also between about 20th and 41st street in the Beach isn't bad. That's where I live and traffic is wholly avoidable, even when you run errands.

New User

Matt,
    Thanks again. Good advice, I will avoid S.I and Aventura. So I am back down to Coconut grove and Brickel. How is the commute from Miami Beach to Blue lagoon? Does 195 and 395 get backed up during rush hour?

- Silvian

No, that commute isn't bad at all. The commute from the Beach into the city rarely causes problems. I'd just recommend taking 195 if you're anywhere north of about 17th Street.

New User

Default South river

Is it safe to live around this address?
    10 SW South River Drive, Miami, FL 33131

Thanks,
    Silvian

Um, yeah, it's safe to drive around. I wouldn't walk around there at night, alone, if I were female. But it's not a terrible area. I used to live about 3 blocks from there, never had a problem.