Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Living in South Beach, 7 months and counting

I've been here 7 months now and so far, so good.

I work at the New World Center, which opened January 25th, and it's been quite a ride.

Long hours, good times, a little bad, but overall a great experience.

I still feel I don't know Miami Beach and the rest of Miami well, but I hope once I get into a groove in the new building, I'll be able to explore more.

A few notes:

1. I really dislike the service at restaurants here. It's quite frustrating.

2. Bike lane, of sorts, on Washington Ave has made my commute better.

3. Hard to find a cheap eats place near the New World Center.

4. I love the fact that part of my job requires me to sit outside in the park and listen to classical music. 167 speakers and I control it all with a laptop. Yes, I'm in heaven.

5. I don't miss the cold...ONE..SINGLE...BIT.

6. I think i might need to get a different bike. I've read a lot about how bad the roads are here and it seems they've gotten worse.

7. I have a dog now and it's a lot more work than a cat.

8. I need to find a good local bar. One thing I miss about Boston.

9. I love running my dog in the morning and seeing the sun come up on the beach. Beautiful.

10. Next apartment will be south of 5th. Such a nice area.
    Last edited by rtoledo71; 02-13-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Hi rtoledo! Thanks for returning to share your impressions and congratulations on surviving 7 months! Are you the wizard behind the sound system there? I might want to interview for an upcoming article on the new campus!

Yes, unfortunately, most everything immediately around the new campus has tourist prices. I used to go home for lunch when I worked at NWS (I lived on Alton and West back then).

As for local bars ... I should give you a tour! Ted's, The Abbey, Zeke's, The Room, Monty's, Carrabas Grill, Free Spirits ... to name a few! And that's not even counting the mainland, but that wouldn't be "local" for you.

Do you ever get out to the mainland? Service improves dramatically when you leave the touristy area.

And yes, South of Fifth is very nice.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Re: 7 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo71 View Post
    I've been here 7 months now and so far, so good.

I work at the New World Center, which opened January 25th, and it's been quite a ride.

4. I love the fact that part of my job requires me to sit outside in the park and listen to classical music. 167 speakers and I control it all with a laptop. Yes, I'm in heaven.

You may have the coolest job. Ever.

Get a beach cruiser, they are far more comfortable!

I live SoFi, it is the best area, and great for meeting other locals. It also has the best local bar named Ted's. I prefer it to all the others, it has a full bar, fun bartenders, a great crowd and my blueberry beer. All I have to do is walk in the door and it is placed in my hand. That's a good local bar

Thumbs up Re: Living in South Beach, 7 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    the best local bar named Ted's. I prefer it to all the others, it has a full bar, fun bartenders, a great crowd
    Also, its next door to Big Pink, a place to get excellent, reasonably priced food.

Default Re: Living in South Beach, 7 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Hi rtoledo! Thanks for returning to share your impressions and congratulations on surviving 7 months! Are you the wizard behind the sound system there? I might want to interview for an upcoming article on the new campus!

Yes, unfortunately, most everything immediately around the new campus has tourist prices. I used to go home for lunch when I worked at NWS (I lived on Alton and West back then).

As for local bars ... I should give you a tour! Ted's, The Abbey, Zeke's, The Room, Monty's, Carrabas Grill, Free Spirits ... to name a few! And that's not even counting the mainland, but that wouldn't be "local" for you.

Do you ever get out to the mainland? Service improves dramatically when you leave the touristy area.

And yes, South of Fifth is very nice.
    I am the audio wizard, inside and outside the building.

With the exception of Zeke's, I don't drink beer, I'll have to give the other's a try.

I don't get on the mainland much. No car, but that's how I like it. I'll have to see how the service is on the mainland though.

Default Re: 7 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    You may have the coolest job. Ever.
    Well, i highly doubt it, but it is pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Get a beach cruiser, they are far more comfortable!

I live SoFi, it is the best area, and great for meeting other locals. It also has the best local bar named Ted's. I prefer it to all the others, it has a full bar, fun bartenders, a great crowd and my blueberry beer. All I have to do is walk in the door and it is placed in my hand. That's a good local bar
    Yeah, I think a BC might be in order.

And that's two votes for Ted's. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    Also, its next door to Big Pink, a place to get excellent, reasonably priced food.
    I've had stuff delivered from BP a couple of times. It's ok. Maybe I'm selecting the wrong things.

What's good there?

Big Pink has over 200 items on the menu. I like the healthy stuff like egg white omlettes with brie and veggies... others of my friends like their waffles, burgers, the pizzas are good and the salads are huge. I don't eat unhealthy food but I have seen wings and buckets of fries and mozzarella sticks go by... it is all good there.

I like:

the California BLT but turkey instead, and it comes with the homemade chips which Jess is pretending she does not eat.

the Belgian waffles, with a side of eggs, and a BP smoothie for a hangover cure

poached eggs and wheat toast with a side of strawberries

for dinner I like the chicken quesidella

And the big cookie, which is a giant chocolate chip cookie.

We have some old threads and posts on cheap eats in South Beach. Some of those restaurants may no longer exist, but worth browsing:

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/food...nder-%245.html

How to Eat on South Beach For $10 a Day - Miami Beach 411