Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Are the insects really that bad?

New User

Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mande? View Post
    Miami can be stupidly expensive.

Sure, not the entire city is overpriced. You can get lunch at Villa Habana on Coral Way for $6.75. But speaking broadly, food, beverage, and nightlife expenses are grossly inflated in Miami.

I honestly don't get it. Miami has money, but not the large professional class that typically drives high prices. Manhattan bars sell overpriced drinks to legions of stockbrokers. Miami bars sell overpriced drinks to... Pit Bull? LeBron James? I don't see enough wealthy Venezuelans to support this shit.

Tourism explains high prices on South Beach. The mainland has no excuse. Wynwood is "up and coming," which means it's "cheaper" but not really "cheap." Hipster bars still use no-name local DJs as an excuse for $20 covers. Food and drink prices in Coconut Grove contrast absurdly with that area's self-promotion as Miami's casual backyard. Brickell and South Miami are better, but you still need to work drink specials to avoid bar tabs that resemble car payments.

You can literally drink cheaper in Key West... 90 miles from Cuba... than you can in Miami... which is the fifth-largest city in the country. That makes zero sense.
    Thanks for your input!

Mande, Miami is Nielsen Market #11. Just ahead of the Tampa/Phoenix/Seattle level of city size, but well beinhd DC/SF/Boston/Philly. Comparable size would be Dallas, Atlanta or Houston.

City of Miami isn't even in the top 20. The Metro population (Dade/Broward) is around 4.2 million, 5.5 if you include Palm Beach County (why?). Which places it 11-12th largest without PBC, around 7-8th with it. Point is, we are solidly in the third tier. The buildings fool people though.

Dade alone is just over 2 million, which is a little smaller than San Diego.

Doug - Most of the iguanas have died off this year, actually. Last year's freeze killed nearly all of them. Biking through Bill Baggs park was always an obstacle course of iguanas in past years. I've probably biked through there 50 times in the last year and not seen a single one. So, sadly, the giant lizards aren't eating much of anything anymore.

Perceived postivies, Rex?

The weather is fantastic.

People are interesting, which is a really underrated thing in a city.

Nobody gives a shit what you do for a living.

Laws are lax

Culture is permissive

There's always SOMETHING going on

The local newspaper always has a unique story. in other words, it's never boring

You can work out/train outside all year round

There's a steady flow of tourist chicks on vacation who will do things they wouldn't at home

I'm sure there's more. But everyone else on this site is all cupcakes and roses about Miami, so I'll leave the literary fellatio to them. My job here is the voice of reality.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Perceived postivies, Rex?

The weather is fantastic.

People are interesting, which is a really underrated thing in a city.

Nobody gives a shit what you do for a living.

Laws are lax

Culture is permissive

There's always SOMETHING going on

The local newspaper always has a unique story. in other words, it's never boring

You can work out/train outside all year round

There's a steady flow of tourist chicks on vacation who will do things they wouldn't at home

I'm sure there's more. But everyone else on this site is all cupcakes and roses about Miami, so I'll leave the literary fellatio to them. My job here is the voice of reality.
    Thanks, Matt,

Sounds like a pretty nice reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mande? View Post
    Miami can be stupidly expensive. I honestly don't get it. Miami has money, but not the large professional class that typically drives high prices. Tourism explains high prices on South Beach. Brickell and South Miami are better, but you still need to work drink specials to avoid bar tabs that resemble car payments.
    I agree 100%. We all recommend great spots here to visitors, but locals can't go out like that all the time. For cheap drinks in SoBe try Ted's, Zeke's for beer, Monty's, and $9 for a cocktail at Segafedo is reasonable. Once I went to Spris, ordered a $25 bottle of wine to share, and that works out to $5 a drink. Genius! Check out Jess' post on drink prices.

Quote Originally Posted by rexwriter View Post
    We currently live in Santa Fe and are thinking of relocating to Miami Beach. We've been there, but only during the Winter and staying in nice hotels.

We keep hearing that the insects, particularly huge, flying roaches are terrible. We've spoken to a few people who moved from Miami to Santa Fe and have been told that they are bad.

But how bad? I understand that you have to get exterminators in every month, and that's okay. But during the worst times, after rains, in the heat of the summer, how bad is it? I mean there are millions of you living there, so how bad can it be?

Are they everywhere when you go outside? Do they get into the house no matter what you do?

I've lived all over the world, including hot, humid places, such as Calcutta, Singapore, Thailand. I remember some big flying roaches getting into the room in Tahiti, but that was the only time they were troublesome.

I know you probably get tired of this question, but I am honestly pretty freaked out by the prospect of big insects in the bathroom in the middle of the night, or dive-bombing me when I'm out for a walk, so please, any real information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Rex
    oh its bad! i'm not originally from florida and i was soo freaked out the first time i got attacked by a humungus bug! they still freak me out! ewww so gross! i think the worse part is that flapping sound they make! also there are so many little bugs that love flying up ur nose and in ur mouth! yuck! i'm a runner so i experience this sh** a lot. also there are tons of mosquitos so wear bug spray. obviously i'm still living here so i'm a little bit used to being freaked out on a daily/weekly basis by discusting huge bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGurl View Post
    oh its bad! i'm not originally from florida and i was soo freaked out the first time i got attacked by a humungus bug! they still freak me out! ewww so gross! i think the worse part is that flapping sound they make! also there are so many little bugs that love flying up ur nose and in ur mouth! yuck! i'm a runner so i experience this sh** a lot. also there are tons of mosquitos so wear bug spray. obviously i'm still living here so i'm a little bit used to being freaked out on a daily/weekly basis by discusting huge bugs.
    Ha! Finally someone who agrees with me! Here's the thing, if you never have to deal with them inside your apartment you won't freak out when you see one or two outside. But if you have problems inside your apartment like I did it's another story, especially if you're scared of bugs like me.

Mande, Miami is Nielsen Market #11. Just ahead of the Tampa/Phoenix/Seattle level of city size, but well beinhd DC/SF/Boston/Philly. Comparable size would be Dallas, Atlanta or Houston.
    Another reasons the food/drink prices are stupid.

Agree with all the positives, though at just four months in the city my perspective is barely "local."

All told, I would much rather budget carefully in an interesting city than spend freely in a dump.

Is Miami still in the same league as Dallas/Atlanta/Houston if you throw in Greater Fort Lauderdale, Delray, Boynton, Boca and West Palm? Or are they including them already? Even though Miami-Dade is a separate city, it feels kind of like one ginormous stretch of city that keeps changing names.

The Miami Metropolitan area is ranked seventh in the country. It includes Broward and Palm Beach counties.

South Florida metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the entire list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

That list Carlos posted is including Delray and West Palm, yeah. All of PBC actually. So it's in the Dallas/Houston/Atlanta league there. But, again, it's within about 100,000 and given how much faster those areas are growing than South Florida is, I's suspect us to be down around 9 or so in a few years.

Article to come...

hhhmmm.........flying cockroaches...I can handle........been there, done that.....we have "waterbugs".....in my home Louisiana....even in the most posh places.. one time I came in from going out and saw this roach on my doorway.....its antennae pointing towards me....and then guess what....it flew on my head...... I was dancing better at that time than any time clubbing..at the club....lol.....lol.....lol.... btw.....I finally moved in my condo on Coral way.....sweet, but, will be working lots...closer to a BFF an BF ....so.............. if there is any reports of BIG, HAIRY, SPIDERS.....i.e. TARANTULAS, WOLF SPIDERS....IM OUTTA HERE!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiChiwi View Post
    hhhmmm.........flying cockroaches...I can handle........been there, done that.....we have "waterbugs".....in my home Louisiana....even in the most posh places.. one time I came in from going out and saw this roach on my doorway.....its antennae pointing towards me....and then guess what....it flew on my head...... I was dancing better at that time than any time clubbing..at the club....lol.....lol.....lol.... btw.....I finally moved in my condo on Coral way.....sweet, but, will be working lots...closer to a BFF an BF ....so.............. if there is any reports of BIG, HAIRY, SPIDERS.....i.e. TARANTULAS, WOLF SPIDERS....IM OUTTA HERE!
    Thanks to all for your comments. I've been stung by a scorpion and bitten by a tarantula on previous journeys. Don't want to repeat those incidents, although the sojourns were worth it, I guess.

Yikes, can understand why you are anxious now!

I live in a new apartment building. I keep my apartment clean, and it is also in a built up area. Never seen any bugs. My work is also in cutler ridge and I don't see any bugs there either.

No bugs, Julie. But plenty of blue crabs .......

New User

Hey Rex -

What do people complain about here? Oh man....

The traffic, although compared to LA it's nothing, so you're ok there.

The humidity, which may get to you if you're used to a western climate.

The rain. Rains all the f*cking time here, save for maybe January-April. And Miami Beach floods like nobody's business during the summer. So make sure you get elevated parking and don't leave your house when it's raining.

Communication is very difficult. It's not like LA where, yeah, you have some Spanish Speaking sections but you can go back to Brentwood when you get tired of it. Miami is a big, giant Spanish Speaking section. If you speak it, fine, but you may not speak enough to get by without some frustration.

Along the same lines. nobody is ever on time for anytihng. And nobody is ever in a hurry to do anything either. The service is slow EVERYWHERE, and for the most part incompetent as well.

The population is transient. Again, coming from LA this is nothing new to you, but few people stay here much more than 2 years.

And, despite people THINKING Miami is sophisticated, it is not at all. Like, yeah, we may build some nice buildings and have all those cultural things that supposedly make a city sophisticated, but the population as a whole is highly uneducated. There isn't much of a young professionals' scene to speak of, the music scene is non-existent. And the art scene, while improving, is pretty much limited to about the 20 blocks north of Downtown Miami. I know fewer people here with college degrees than I do in cities I don't even live in. So "sophisticated" would not be a word I'd EVER use to describe Miami.

But the bugs? Yeah, they're really not a big deal.

I think Matt has a very accurate (as in dead on) description of what can suck in Miami. I lived in NY, Philadelphia, and Montreal. I only visited San Francisco. But I've lived in Miami for a year now. He is 100% right, no exaggeration or dampening of fact.

What I would add that sucks: food is ok, but it's definitely not ny, Philly or Montreal in terms of culinary greatness and variety. Where is the Asian food? I miss Vietnamese, Korean and REAL Chinese food.

I'm an artist. The art scene is ok, but often looks like a one trick pony. And my husband is a mucus geek... Forget about bands.

To get back to your roaches question. I'm with you: I have a prejudice against anything with more than 4 legs that doesn't live in the sea. The more legs, the least I like them. I own a house in Miami Shores, a little north of the city. Decent upper middle class neighborhood. We do get roaches in the house. Especially in the summer months probably cause the rain helps them proliferate. We have an exterminator spray inside every month. I'm thinking about having him spray outside too in the summer. Despite my fears of bugs, I don't think it's a reason not to live here. (Although I questioned that thought the day I say my little dog chase a 7 inch millipede in the yard. But it was the largest I saw in one year and the others were normal size and infrequent though a little more visible in the rainy months.) I am yet to see a roach fly. Although I find about 2 a week in or around the house, they are always dead (I guess the 50$ a month exterminator is doing the job right!). I saw only one living. Reading your thought, I wouldn't worry about roaches.

So far, the scariest wildlife experience I have had was with darn frogs hiding in my mailbox after rain. I'm not usually scared of frogs, but grabbing one freaked out frog instead of mail is pretty shocking! The whole lizard thing is true. They are everywhere so it's good you don't mind them. I find them adorable and funny, plus most of them, eat bugs so they are welcome! Once in a while one sneak in the house, but most are outside and you will see many everyday. In Miami beach they also have big ones, a beading population of feral iguanas live there. I find them fascinating. Plus they are more scared of you than you can be of them. But they'll still come lounge beside your pool. but 4 legs is ok with me. Mosquitoes are voracious. I'm allergic so that sucks for me. They are also very small compared to Canadian mosquitoes so they are hard to spot before they bite you.

Most annoying of Miami? People! You think New Yorkers are rude? You've seen nothing. There is an entitled culture here. People cut lines, are aggressive horrible drivers, and can be downright rude even in the service industry. I miss New York! But the weather is nice. Although it rains every day in the summer and spring, every day at 4pm on the clock. You still get beach weather morning and afternoons so what the heck?

Groceries are expensive, but real estate is decently priced. Rent in miami beach is ridiculous, so be warned. it is Manhattan type ridiculous. But no state tax is pretty awesome, although I'm more of a democrat and would like more social services.

Thats it!
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

This topic reminds me of the several recommendations I've given friends when they want to a rainforest lodge in Costa Rica. Many call back complaining it rained the while time.

Also, when I checked into the Ariau Jungle Lodge in the Brazilian Amazon, I went with the stride that a female spider monkey snuck herself in my room and slept at my foot for two days.

As Miami is concerned, the outskirts of the Everglades s within an hour drive. What thrives there, will thrive in Miami as well. f you have a pet boa you want to discard, it will also find it's nearby habitat and thrive.

As far as pest control, you're not going to totally eradicate roaches. What will help to a great extent is how vigilant your building in controlling this fact at our longitude.

I don't recall ever seeing a roach in my building but it wouldn't surprise me if I did. One can't entirely control that, especially f you have neighbors who's habits entice a welcome.

My situation in CFL might be more challenging than Miami. My development was built on former hunting grounds and some conservation areas are protected.

We do hire professionals to increase the odds of keeping roaches at bay. It's not full proof. We do however welcome the trespass of lizards and frogs. How they get in the house, I do not know.

The iguanas in Miami Beach are huge. Scary huge. They are kinda freaky when they run out in front of my bike and their tail is five feet long. I have to brake hard not to run them over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The iguanas in Miami Beach are huge. Scary huge. They are kinda freaky when they run out in front of my bike and their tail is five feet long. I have to brake hard not to run them over.
    I almost ran over a land crab today coming home. He couldn't make up his mind on which way he wanted to go and i had to slam the breaks to not hit him. We also have anoles and geckos all over the place. Every now and then they get inside. I personally dont mind it as they will eat whatever bugs are in the house but the girlfriend hates them and makes me get rid of them... or now that we have cats every now and then they get one and kill it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast