Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Are the insects really that bad?

  1. #1
    New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Are the insects really that bad?

    We currently live in Santa Fe and are thinking of relocating to Miami Beach. We've been there, but only during the Winter and staying in nice hotels.

    We keep hearing that the insects, particularly huge, flying roaches are terrible. We've spoken to a few people who moved from Miami to Santa Fe and have been told that they are bad.

    But how bad? I understand that you have to get exterminators in every month, and that's okay. But during the worst times, after rains, in the heat of the summer, how bad is it? I mean there are millions of you living there, so how bad can it be?

    Are they everywhere when you go outside? Do they get into the house no matter what you do?

    I've lived all over the world, including hot, humid places, such as Calcutta, Singapore, Thailand. I remember some big flying roaches getting into the room in Tahiti, but that was the only time they were troublesome.

    I know you probably get tired of this question, but I am honestly pretty freaked out by the prospect of big insects in the bathroom in the middle of the night, or dive-bombing me when I'm out for a walk, so please, any real information would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks to all,

    Rex

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default

    Hi Rex! Haha don't worry too much.

    It all depends where you live. And how much you pay or your building pays for exterminators to come and spray the building.

    I have seen one palmetto flying since I moved here. One. And I have been here 2 and a half years. (Watch me see one tomorrow after I said that!).

    We do have roaches but to be honest the mosquitos are much more annoying here and I am far more concerned about spraying Deet than anything else.

  3. #3
    New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Likes Received
    0

    Default thanks

    Thanks for the information/reassurance. As I said in my first inquiry, millions of people love it there so how bad could it be? But at the same time I hear near horror stories of how bad it is from various sources. I guess I'm trying to reconcile the two and find some sense of reality.

    I would really appreciate all the input I can get.

    Rex

  4. #4
    Editor Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,456
    Likes Received
    162

    Default

    Yes Rex there really are! The flying roaches you speak of are renamed and called "Palmetto Bugs", I guess to put a nicer spin on them.

    Answer the following:

    It's acceptable for me to see _____ number of bugs inside my apartment per week.
    It's acceptable for me to see______number of bugs in public indoor spaces (taxi, bus, restaurant).
    It's acceptable for me to see______number of bugs outside (sidewalks, street).

    For me the answer is zero for inside my apartment, and if that's your number, unless you rent in new construction or get lucky with an apartment you're screwed. They were a problem for me..Miami is not for people who are scared of bugs. As far as them flying, one flew in my face once but for the most part they stay on the ground where I find them equally scary.
    Last edited by Christy; 02-21-2011 at 12:07 AM.

  5. #5
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    south beach
    Posts
    102
    Likes Received
    12

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    been here about 8 months. in that time i dont think ive seen a palmetto bug yet (i probably have, but i dont really think about it when im outside). i live in an older building and an exterminator visits the building every month. ive seen 2 roaches in my apartment since ive been here. as for outside, i dont notice/mind them. I do happen to notice tons of little lizards around the sidewalks in the summer time though. But I dont mind bugs outside as long as they aren't on me / biting me

    so in my opinion, it wont be as bad as your mind can make it out to be.
    Last edited by northeast; 02-21-2011 at 12:35 AM.

  6. #6
    New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by northeast View Post
    been here about 8 months. in that time i dont think ive seen a palmetto bug yet (i probably have, but i dont really think about it when im outside). i live in an older building and an exterminator visits the building every month. ive seen 2 roaches in my apartment since ive been here. as for outside, i dont notice/mind them. I do happen to notice tons of little lizards around the sidewalks in the summer time though. But I dont mind bugs outside as long as they aren't on me / biting me

    so in my opinion, it wont be as bad as your mind can make it out to be.
    Thanks. I don't mind lizards at all. I think we need to come out to visit again, perhaps at a time when it would be "buggy" so we can see how we really feel. When are the palmetto bugs, etc., the worst?

  7. #7
    Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    789
    Likes Received
    108

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    I think this boils down to do you have a phobia about bugs or are they mildly annoying?

    It's Miami. It's hot, humid, tropical. There are bugs.

    Palmetto bugs are not about how clean or dirty you are because I promise they are in the nicest homes and the poorest homes.

    Routine and regular pest control will keep the bug population out of your hair.

    If you have a bug phobia, I'm afraid short of a shrink, they are going to bother you.

    Good luck!

  8. #8
    New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    I think this boils down to do you have a phobia about bugs or are they mildly annoying?

    It's Miami. It's hot, humid, tropical. There are bugs.

    Palmetto bugs are not about how clean or dirty you are because I promise they are in the nicest homes and the poorest homes.

    Routine and regular pest control will keep the bug population out of your hair.

    If you have a bug phobia, I'm afraid short of a shrink, they are going to bother you.

    Good luck!
    Thanks, again for the info. Don't think it's a phobia, but they aren't my friends. Right now, just trying to gather information. As I asked in my previous reply/post, when are the palmettos, etc., the worst? Funny as it may seem, we'd like to visit during bug season and get our own take on it.

    Are they worse in June than in April, or what??

    Thanks again for all the replies.

  9. #9
    Editor Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,456
    Likes Received
    162

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexwriter View Post
    As I asked in my previous reply/post, when are the palmettos, etc., the worst? Funny as it may seem, we'd like to visit during bug season and get our own take on it.

    Are they worse in June than in April, or what??
    It's not about a particular month, or Florida having a "bug season", they're there all the time. It seems like they're going to be a problem for you, so honestly I wouldn't move to Miami.

  10. #10
    New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    It's not about a particular month, or Florida having a "bug season", they're there all the time. It seems like they're going to be a problem for you, so honestly I wouldn't move to Miami.
    Thanks, Christy,

    If they are there all the time, I don't think it will be that much of a problem. I've been there in January, March and April, and I was never bothered at all.

    As I said in my first post, I've lived in hot-humid places, although in my distant past, which had plenty of bugs, such as Calcutta and Tahiti, and I survived that.

    Best,

    Rex

  11. #11
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default

    Yeah, if you survived Calcutta and Tahiti, Miami will not be a problem for you at all. Even the mosquitoes, if you stay in developed areas aren't that bad. Hard to breed on concrete, ya know? You're gonna deal with a few roaches from time to time, but for the most part it's not much of an issue. Of all the things people complain about life in Miami, the bugs are probably the most minimal.

  12. #12
    New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah, if you survived Calcutta and Tahiti, Miami will not be a problem for you at all. Even the mosquitoes, if you stay in developed areas aren't that bad. Hard to breed on concrete, ya know? You're gonna deal with a few roaches from time to time, but for the most part it's not much of an issue. Of all the things people complain about life in Miami, the bugs are probably the most minimal.
    Thanks, Matt,

    What are the things people most often complain about? We had been living in LA, and my wife, who worked in Beverly Hills for many years, loved it there. I didn't; I was sick and tired of it. We moved to Santa Fe, which is a great little town, but it is a little too small town and cold in the Winter.

    I don't know that much about Miami Beach. One hears all kinds of things. What intrigues us is being able to have a warm climate, a sophisticated city feel, where one can walk to restaurants and cafes, and an ocean view. All that sounds pretty good, and I guess I'm trying to be able to assess the negatives, whatever they may be.

    Any thoughts, anyone?

    Thanks,

    Rex

  13. #13
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexwriter View Post
    Thanks, Matt,

    What are the things people most often complain about? We had been living in LA, and my wife, who worked in Beverly Hills for many years, loved it there. I didn't; I was sick and tired of it. We moved to Santa Fe, which is a great little town, but it is a little too small town and cold in the Winter.

    I don't know that much about Miami Beach. One hears all kinds of things. What intrigues us is being able to have a warm climate, a sophisticated city feel, where one can walk to restaurants and cafes, and an ocean view. All that sounds pretty good, and I guess I'm trying to be able to assess the negatives, whatever they may be.

    Any thoughts, anyone?

    Thanks,

    Rex
    Hey Rex. It's a trade off. Made the move from tinsel town seven years ago. You're basically trading in pidgeons for roaches. I accepted it as a fair deal.

    Now if you're going to survive Miami cockroaches or not: thats another issue. Most of the people I know that moved here to work from LA, moved back within 18 months.

  14. #14
    New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Hey Rex. It's a trade off. Made the move from tinsel town seven years ago. You're basically trading in pidgeons for roaches. I accepted it as a fair deal.

    Now if you're going to survive Miami cockroaches or not: thats another issue. Most of the people I know that moved here to work from LA, moved back within 18 months.
    Most moved back within 18 months, but you've been there seven years. Any further explanation as to what you found that they didn't?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default

    Sorry you haven't heard from me. In fact last night I wrote a blog in response, and with a little carelessness, erased the whole thing. It was a drunk post, so somebody was looking looking after me.

    Suffice it to say, I'm solar powered and love the heat. I'm also not a steady resident of Miami, so that helps a bit.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 02-22-2011 at 08:34 PM.

  16. #16
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default

    Hey Rex -

    What do people complain about here? Oh man....

    The traffic, although compared to LA it's nothing, so you're ok there.

    The humidity, which may get to you if you're used to a western climate.

    The rain. Rains all the f*cking time here, save for maybe January-April. And Miami Beach floods like nobody's business during the summer. So make sure you get elevated parking and don't leave your house when it's raining.

    Communication is very difficult. It's not like LA where, yeah, you have some Spanish Speaking sections but you can go back to Brentwood when you get tired of it. Miami is a big, giant Spanish Speaking section. If you speak it, fine, but you may not speak enough to get by without some frustration.

    Along the same lines. nobody is ever on time for anytihng. And nobody is ever in a hurry to do anything either. The service is slow EVERYWHERE, and for the most part incompetent as well.

    The population is transient. Again, coming from LA this is nothing new to you, but few people stay here much more than 2 years.

    And, despite people THINKING Miami is sophisticated, it is not at all. Like, yeah, we may build some nice buildings and have all those cultural things that supposedly make a city sophisticated, but the population as a whole is highly uneducated. There isn't much of a young professionals' scene to speak of, the music scene is non-existent. And the art scene, while improving, is pretty much limited to about the 20 blocks north of Downtown Miami. I know fewer people here with college degrees than I do in cities I don't even live in. So "sophisticated" would not be a word I'd EVER use to describe Miami.

    But the bugs? Yeah, they're really not a big deal.

  17. #17
    New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Hey Rex -

    What do people complain about here? Oh man....

    The traffic, although compared to LA it's nothing, so you're ok there.

    The humidity, which may get to you if you're used to a western climate.

    The rain. Rains all the f*cking time here, save for maybe January-April. And Miami Beach floods like nobody's business during the summer. So make sure you get elevated parking and don't leave your house when it's raining.

    Communication is very difficult. It's not like LA where, yeah, you have some Spanish Speaking sections but you can go back to Brentwood when you get tired of it. Miami is a big, giant Spanish Speaking section. If you speak it, fine, but you may not speak enough to get by without some frustration.

    Along the same lines. nobody is ever on time for anytihng. And nobody is ever in a hurry to do anything either. The service is slow EVERYWHERE, and for the most part incompetent as well.

    The population is transient. Again, coming from LA this is nothing new to you, but few people stay here much more than 2 years.

    And, despite people THINKING Miami is sophisticated, it is not at all. Like, yeah, we may build some nice buildings and have all those cultural things that supposedly make a city sophisticated, but the population as a whole is highly uneducated. There isn't much of a young professionals' scene to speak of, the music scene is non-existent. And the art scene, while improving, is pretty much limited to about the 20 blocks north of Downtown Miami. I know fewer people here with college degrees than I do in cities I don't even live in. So "sophisticated" would not be a word I'd EVER use to describe Miami.

    But the bugs? Yeah, they're really not a big deal.
    Thanks, Matt,

    When I read all those "complaints," makes me wonder why you are there. How about a list of your perception of positives.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    6,900
    Likes Received
    374

    Default

    The bugs aren't really a problem in Miami, because the huge, dog-sized lizards eat them up!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default

    And, despite people THINKING Miami is sophisticated
    I'll roll with this, but if you manuver in spanish speaking circles, you'll find it. This is were the Somoza's and Pinochet's of the world spend their money as well as the most educated hispanics of Latin America.

    Doug wasn't kidding about the lizards. If you ever venture to Brickell Key, you need to sneek a peek at the bush on the ne end of the bridge. It's teeming with iguanas.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    45
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Are the insects really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexwriter View Post
    What are the things people most often complain about?
    Miami can be stupidly expensive.

    Sure, not the entire city is overpriced. You can get lunch at Villa Habana on Coral Way for $6.75. But speaking broadly, food, beverage, and nightlife expenses are grossly inflated in Miami.

    I honestly don't get it. Miami has money, but not the large professional class that typically drives high prices. Manhattan bars sell overpriced drinks to legions of stockbrokers. Miami bars sell overpriced drinks to... Pit Bull? LeBron James? I don't see enough wealthy Venezuelans to support this shit.

    Tourism explains high prices on South Beach. The mainland has no excuse. Wynwood is "up and coming," which means it's "cheaper" but not really "cheap." Hipster bars still use no-name local DJs as an excuse for $20 covers. Food and drink prices in Coconut Grove contrast absurdly with that area's self-promotion as Miami's casual backyard. Brickell and South Miami are better, but you still need to work drink specials to avoid bar tabs that resemble car payments.

    You can literally drink cheaper in Key West... 90 miles from Cuba... than you can in Miami... which is the fifth-largest city in the country. That makes zero sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •