Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy 50 Cent / South Beach Local Bus

I don't know about you guys, but, I like 50 Cent and the South Beach Local (SBL) bus. Now it seems the county is planning to merge the two by increasing the fare on the SBL to 50 Cents. That's a 100% increase!

Dilemma: Cut South Beach Local bus route or double cost - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com

Times are tough, but wow, that seems like an unfair hit affecting local people who can afford it the least.
    We're just tryin to do what we do:

YouTube - The Game ft 50 Cent How We Do HDTV

This may be how its done, but perhaps there's another way.
    Last edited by fredgarvin; 02-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Well, if they plan to use that extra quarter to hire Orkin then I'm all for it. The last few times I took the bus there were a bunch of roaches on it..small ones that you could accidentally bring home with you.

Oh what a shame if they do rise it to 50c.

I think that's awful but it's still cheaper than $2 on the regular bus. They should keep the route the same.

Yes I would be more upset if the route changed back to what it was last year than the price increasing.

Default Re: 50 Cent / South Beach Local Bus

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Well, if they plan to use that extra quarter to hire Orkin then I'm all for it. The last few times I took the bus there were a bunch of roaches on it..small ones that you could accidentally bring home with you.
    Christy - What they charging these days on the S.I. Ferry ? The SoBe Bus sounds like a sweet deal, but the Ferry was the best I've ever come across.

Fifty cents sounds dirt cheap. They need to collect enough to keep the bus system solvemt. It's amazing that they can do it at $0.50. With rising fuel prices, it might go up even more in price in the near future.

Glenn

25 cent is about right though for the route it takes. I mean it only does SoBe which is 22 blocks.

rk

According to that article which FG linked, the SB local costs $3.3m/year. The article also cites ridership of 130,000 per month and 4500/week, which are not compatible, but using the higher number, and assuming everyone pays the full 25c fare (which many don't because of passes and other reasons), the revenue would be 130,000 x 12 x 0.25 = $400,000 per year, approx. This means to break even and not be a drain on taxpayers the fare needs to be something like $2.25 per ride. I am not saying this is the best thing to do, just pointing out that it needs to be considered.

The Staten Island Ferry has been free since 1997. The fare was 5c for the first 70+ years, then crept up to 50c between the early seventies and 1990 before being eliminated in 1997.

Thanks RK. That is good info. I have a new tombstone to visit on SI on my next trip.

Seems reasonable to me. I always thought 25 cents was a bargain. I honestly think raising it to a full buck probably wouldn't kill anybody.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    ...I have a new tombstone to visit on SI on my next trip.
    Sorry to hear that. The Ferry is one of the greatest bargains in the Big Apple, or anywhere else for that matter. Here's a downtown view from on board:

Name:  NYC-downtown-01s.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  51.2 KB

I think they should raise it to 50 cents IF they change things on the bus (and really all buses for that matter) They should have more busses, running more often and so when the seats are full on the bus, that's it. No more people on the bus. It gets way too crowded. Also they should not allow people with those shopping carts or baby strollers on the bus unless they are folded up, it blocks the whole isle. One day 2 women with walkers bashed into me on the bus and then yelled at me for being in the way (this was after the bus was already way beyond capacity) I pulled the bell to get off, and marched right into a scooter shop and threw down my credit card for a scooter. That was the last time I ever went on a bus. I think the price and route for the sobe local bus is fantastic, however, it gets too packed and that is not safe or healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Sorry to hear that. The Ferry is one of the greatest bargains in the Big Apple, or anywhere else for that matter. Here's a downtown view from on board:

Name:  NYC-downtown-01s.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  51.2 KB
    Hmm..when I take the ferry from NJ it's $8.50 one way-the ride is only 6 minutes. I wonder why people in Staten Island get such a bargain.

Shannon, you can't seriosuly be suggesting a public transportation system not allow people on if the seats are full. Could you imagine how many people would end up waiting for buses for hours during peak times?

rk

Hmm..when I take the ferry from NJ it's $8.50 one way-the ride is only 6 minutes. I wonder why people in Staten Island get such a bargain.
    Your question is a good illustration for one of the basic laws of Physics "There is no free lunch". When someone (me) gets a "free" ride on the Staten Island ferry, someone else (you) has to pay too much for something else. This basic law is ignored at every level of politics and economics almost every day, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Your question is a good illustration for one of the basic laws of Physics "There is no free lunch". When someone (me) gets a "free" ride on the Staten Island ferry, someone else (you) has to pay too much for something else. This basic law is ignored at every level of politics and economics almost every day, unfortunately.

rk -- Good points. The money to run these things doesn't come from the tooth fairy. As you say, "There is no free lunch".

Glenn

An Islander pays New York State taxes while many prefer to avoid those hyper taxes and live across the Hudson.

It might be that there is some sort of interstate fee when going from NJ to NY ?? Anyone know if extra fees apply when going interstate? When you leave from Staten Island, you go from NY to NY, all in the same state.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    It might be that there is some sort of interstate fee when going from NJ to NY ?? Anyone know if extra fees apply when going interstate? When you leave from Staten Island, you go from NY to NY, all in the same state.

Glenn

Don't now about the interstae fee, but I know Bloomberg is/was tinkering about a $20 fee for all cars entering Manhattan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast