Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default 79th and Harding Neighborhood in Miami Beach

A forum member recently sent me a message asking what the neighborhood around 79th and Harding is like in Miami Beach.

It is in an area known as North Beach, which extends from 63rd Street north to 87th Terrace. This is a relaxed neighborhood with a large Argentine and Brazilian community. It is made up mostly of smaller, closely-clustered apartment complexes with rents a bit lower than what you will find for comparable units in South Beach.

The main pluses of living here are that you can enjoy beach access for a reasonable amount of money. There are lots of the same cafes and shops that you'll find further down on South Beach, but without the crowds. North Shore Open Space is an attractive, jungly park of sea grapes and coconut trees right along the beach, just north of 79th St. Unfortunately, like much of Miami Beach, it attracts a fair amount of homeless people, but they keep mostly to themselves.

The downside of living in North Beach is that it's not very convenient to get to the freeways. The closest one is the Julia Tuttle (195), several blocks to the south. It isn't as exciting as South Beach, but if you want a more peaceful, mellow life, it's a good neighborhood to consider!

I love north beach, lots of stuff on Collins, Harding, and 71st. It has little bit of a sketchy feel at times, which I also like

I like that neighborhood. It's more authentic than South Beach. And I imagine you can take a bus to South Beach, which shouldn't take long.

Many people who live in this area work in South Beach.

And it has a diverse section of shops and restaurants. It is unofficially called Little Buenos Aires.

I am not at all a fan of going to that area because of the insane amount of street driving involved in getting there.

Basically, yeah, it's a nice area once you're there. But the hassle in getting there isn't really worth it.

New User

Default Re: 79th and Harding Neighborhood in Miami Beach

It seems like North Beach is excellent if you're looking for a chiller lifestyle on the beach. I'm relocating here with my husband and realized I did not want to live in south beach after only a few days. SOBE is lots of fun, but too much craziness for us. We're looking to have a kid soon, need a chill place to take inlaws, other grown up stuff, etc. In short, I'm looking for the spacious, chilled out beach pad rather than the place around the corner from all the hot spots.

So I started looking for a place in North Beach, and WOW is all I have to say. I just scored a sweet condo rental in a lovely smaller complex, with lots of sq footage, unobstructed views of the ocean from 1st and 2nd floor, nice sized deck, close to a public park with not many homeless around. And it's near all these great shops, the library, gyms, banks, restaurants, bars... and an IHOP! So basically I can eat blueberry pancakes before crossing the street to a pristine beach with turquoise water. Then there's the great, brand new board walk along the beach. I had a long conversation with a mother with two young kids, and NOBE seems to be a good place for young families.

I'm thrilled to know living in Miami Beach doesn't have to mean living on top of a night club. There are very chill, friendly people in North Beach. I'm so excited to complete the lease and move into my new pad! Countdown to April 1st. :-D

I lived on Harding and 80th several years ago.

North Shore State Recreation area is my favorite beach in all of Miami Beach, period. Back then, homelessness wasn't an issue, but it is a popular park with families on the weekends because the green area has pavilions and barbecues, but all this is separate quite a bit from the beach itself by tall pines. There is also a vita course and from the north end of the park you can walk up to Haulover on a gorgeous jogging path behind the dunes.

You can get onto that beach on the south side without paying, by the way. It is wonderful to not be surrounded by tall condos or douchebags on that beach.

I spent many a great weekend lounging on that beach with cocktails. Sometimes when its shallow you can even bring your beach chair out to the shoal.

North Beach is a little more South American "ghetto" than the rest of the beach, but this means great Italian/Argentine restaurants like Primo Pasta. There is also a great bar, Norman's, and an awesome New York style bagel shop.

The only bad thing about North Beach and that specific address is actually having an apartment facing Harding. It's REALLY REALLY loud. You won't want to open your windows. Ditto with Collins, by the way. I lived on the 8th floor facing Harding and I had to shut the windows to use the phone.

And Matt is right, the distance from North Beach to South Beach is short as the crow flies, but traffic is a pain. It's all local street traffic. I used to commute to South Beach for a 9 to 5 and it took half an hour, sometimes more, depending on the drawbridges. Just don't think it's a quick breeze down there, though it certainly is when traffic is light or flowing.

And if you need to get to 95, that's also a bit of a long haul because you have to go north to 125th street causeway and the cross the mainland or go south to the Julia Tuttle.

Maria I love Normans that's a great place. When driving down, at 63rd I usually veer over to pine tree or Alton rd depending on where I'm going in south beach I don't find the drive that bad

I like Norman's too.

Since they fixed the bridge at 63rd, traffic has flowed smoother. BUt during rush hour, things do get backed up, especially in the afternoon from SoBe to NoBe, even on Pine Tree and Alton. It used to take me up to 40 minutes sometimes.

I know someone who lives in Normandy Isle and works at the Coast Guard. He goes to work at 4 am! But because there are so many stop lights, even when there is zero traffic, it can take up to 1/2 hour.