Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: BEWARE: Craigslist Scammer Monica Brown in South Beach

OMG FL_Style, did you start this Facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/MonicaBrownMiami

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

FLStyle have you contacted the NYPD and the attorney assigned to your case? I'd make his life hell because he released her knowing she'd disappear.

I'd also contact some of the NYC blogs and papers in particular The Post.
    Last edited by FredTheCatTravels; 06-24-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Default Re: BEWARE: Craigslist Scammer Monica Brown in South Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    OMG FL_Style, did you start this Facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/MonicaBrownMiami
    LOL yes... When I posted my phone number, leads started to roll in...
    Last edited by FL_Style; 06-25-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    FLStyle have you contacted the NYPD and the attorney assigned to your case? I'd make his life hell because he released her knowing she'd disappear.

I'd also contact some of the NYC blogs and papers in particular The Post.
    I did contact them. I've also contacted the daily news. I've been working with the Miami PD / NYPD to figure out if they wanted to take her down & extradite her. They were not sure if this was extradition worthy due to the expense, and needed to get authority from the courts (somewhat of a lengthy process).

Anyway, the Miami Police have made the decision to work in coordination with the NYPD & then bring her back to Florida. It seems like they're being pretty attentive with this case. Here's what I received from the Miami Detective:

Good Morning, I forwarded your email to someone who works in our warrants bureau, he’s worked with detectives in the New York warrants department and advised that he will contact someone to locate and arrest the subject. If you have further information do not hesitate to contact me.

I reeeeeeeeally hope she gets brought back to Miami and they take it seriously this time.

New User

Hey, hope this will help:

I've recently been in contact with her - she was claiming to be renting a room on East 89th street (details see below).
    She had posted on craigslist (sorry, don't have a copy of the ad). indeed, she seems to focus on foreigners, me being from germany looking for a short term lease in manhattan.

anyways, here's a selection of her e-mails (all sent from parislondon11@yahoo.com), fotos she attached claiming they picture her, her bank account and address she told me (once again, playing the innocent, not so familiar with everything little girl), her skype name and fotos of the ostensible room. when i skyped with her, she had an obvious accent i couldn't identy then and her age was difficult to say.

First email from her, after i indicated my interest:
    "hey,
    we're here in early 20's full times students. 2 girls looking for non smoking clean roommate who does not brings a party over. here's some pics i took using a cell phone. lol. i'm not a very good photographer but the room has 2 big windows not sure if i got it in the pics.

feel free to ask anything else.
    cheers,
    Monica"

later on:
    "hey girl, thanks for the compliment abut the pics. i think i'm really bad.... anyways, it's good to know that you like to keep the place clean. we're the same way. it's just nicer to come home after a long day to a clean place. my roommate is moving out in the beginning of september or the 15th (e's not sure yet) so your moving date can actually work for us.
    feel free to ask anything else. my skype id is mnyc85 so you can add me if you have skype.
    cheers,
    Monica"

then again (i told her i can't skype immediately, since I'm on vacation):
    "hey girl!
    wow, that seems so much fun all that traveling you do. i'm jealous! i am also planing to go to travel and see the worl once i'll have the time. i'm still in school. booooo! lol. anyway, the apt is located on east 89th street between lexington and 3rd ave and we have a subway on 86th street just 3 short blocks away. it goes express so you can be at nuy in about 15 minutes. the rent here is $800 all included so there's no extra bills. the laundry here is in the basement. i know in europe you guys have laundry in the apt but in nyc you have to be lucky to have it in the basement bc most of the time it's across the street. lol and in the winter it's bot fun at all, so i feel lucky to have it downstairs.

sorry i didn't get you on skype the other day but lets definitely do it friday. what time are you gonna be on and what time it will be inn nyc?
    cheers,
    Monica"

the last one (I had asked her for a full name before.
    in this e-mail, she finally reveiled it...):
    "hey girl,
    i didn't know what information i need to give you for the transfer so i had to call my bank customer service and ask. hate calling them, bc you have to be on hold for a long time sometimes. it's a lot of info and i was confused myself but i'm sure the person in your bank will know what to do. the lady from my customer service said you need all the info to be correct (my name and my address and the bank account details) otherwise the transfer will not be completed bc they match everything to the records they have in my bank account so you totally don't have to worry that i am not who i say i am. anyway, my full name is Monica Brown, my address is 159 East 89th Street, apt 3W New York, NY 10128. the bank name isJP Morgan Chase, and the bank address is 611 Sixth Ave New York NY 10011. my account number is 907105895065. therouting number(or local cod) is 021000021, the SIWFT Code is CHASUS 33. they said the transfer takes a few days and it depends on your bank how long so maybe you can find out.

here's some pics of me and if you need more just let me know and maybe you can send me your picture as well just to see who i will be living with? lol.

cheers,

Monica"

Name:  M. modeling.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  28.3 KBName:  room3.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  202.1 KBName:  room2.jpg
Views: 1836
Size:  174.0 KBName:  room1.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  259.3 KBName:  cell pic 2011.jpg
Views: 4620
Size:  165.1 KB

Attached Images Attached Images      

She went from one city of scam artists to another.

Did you give her money?

New User

No, i didn't. She sent me this e-mail with her full name just a few hours ago. After searching the internet, I quickly found intriguing stories about her....

I am happy that MB411 has a part in saving other victims from her fraud.

Still with this chick. My god she needs some help.

Mia, thanks so much for stopping by and sharing.

It just boggles the mind. Did you say anything to her that you've caught on to the fraud?

New User

Actually, I'm still in contact with her so she wastes her time a little more. I offered to send the money in an envelope by secured mail that she personally has to receive. She agreed to that saying

"Hey girl, to be honest i don't know why r u so stressed about it bc you could easy find a place when you get here. you 're already staying in hostels all over the world so what is one more hostel? lol. anyway if you want you can totally move in. i think it can be great to live with international student. as for the secure mail i have never heard of it but if you want you can totally send it but i have to tell you that i asked my friends about it and they say it's not save to send cash over $100 in cash and people here in the us don't really send that much money in cash by any mail so i have to tell you that in case it gets lost or anything you will have to send a money transfer so it' t up to you. if you want i can wait 2 weeks so you can do the transfer when you'll get home if you promise not to look for apt anymore. as for the amount i think $800 is enough. if you don't show up i have money to cover a month rent and if you do show up please have anothe $800 with you in cash. cheers, Monica"

Now I'm thinking of posting an empty enevlop and maybe someone could be there when she receives it?

She's not very bright if she continues to use the name Monica Brown. The girl in the picture is obviously not the same ugly coked-out witch from the arrest photos. What if it's a mother-daughter team?

New User

Is this lady still a fugitive?

I'm trying to sell some furniture on craigslist in the florida panhandle & i'm getting some very errie emails from a monica.

I've been engaged in back and forth emails with Monica and Maybe its this lady? I worry whoever this is wants to come to my house..... being that this ladys possibly a fugitive it matches.

Her email address follows a similar format of other emails listed as hers, the email address also has no facebook account registered to it.

Should i call crimestoppers about this, would monica brown be looking for a place to go or someone to scam in this manner?

The first email response from her
    Thanks for the quick response. As i have stated earlier, I"m interested in the immediate purchase of the item, get back to me asap with below
    information which the payment will be addressed so i can make payment asap without any delay and we can proceed to finalize this
    transaction.Kindly get back to me with information below:-

Full Name:--------------------
    Contact address that the payment will be sent to not p o box :------------
    Contact phone number :-------------------

I look forward to read from you soonest

Best Regard.

Monica

My response to her
    You would need to call me for my address. My name is XXXX. 850-499-XXXX. Remember to bring and extra 50 for the table and chairs. It's probably worth much more and is the rest of the set. It matches the cabinet.

Her Response to me
    It would have been great speaking to you on phone but am sorry that i lost my phone right now i am try to get new phone asap..bear with me via email...

My response to her
    Are you in town? Would you be able to come look at them this evening? i like out between Hurlburt and navarre.

Once we schedule a time for you to come out, i'll gladly give you the address.

Pardon my hesitation with providing my address immediately. There are so many scammers and advertisers now days on craigslist.

Her response to me
    The payment will include money for the item and for the pick up as soon as you get the payment you will deduct the money for item and keep the balance so that you will help me give the Pickup agent as soon as he come to pick the item up at the
    point after you might have deducted the money for the item.I will get in touch with you as soon as the payment has been sent to you soon.

Yikes! Sounds like a scam!

That's a very common scam. They give you a fake check and tell you to send part of the money to someone else. Then the bank tells you that the check is fake and you're out your items plus the cash.

rk

Not clear if that's our Monica or not, maybe ask her last name, but too many scammers these days, have to watch your stuff. Accept only cash, and even then be wary of larger bills.

Hi Zabbu, that definitely sounds like scam written all over it. Nobody goes through so much trouble just to buy a few things. Most people will just come over themselves and give you cash. Don't get involved with this Monica.

Not too dig up an old post or anything but... GUESS WHO'S UP TO HER OLD TRICKS AGAIN??
    Monica Brown, now going by the name of Victoria Bakken, and even Veronica Bakken in some cases. She was arrested in California the other day for pulling the same scam.

Several new victims & past friends from California contacted me yesterday after finding the Monica Brown Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/MonicaBrownMiami Unfortunately, they are having trouble getting her extradited back to Florida. Miami police don't want anything to do with her.

They also posted some updated pictures of her. It's really hilarious to see that she appears to be hanging out in some really nice clubs with normal looking people..LOL

I think that she spent some of her money on a face lift or really expensive makeup because she's not nearly as ugly as she looked while in Miami With that being said, I'm 100% sure that this is the same Monica Brown.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by FL_Style; 05-01-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Links not working
    rk and Tracker_LA like this.

Wow, that first pic looks photoshopped, like it's her head on someone else's body.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast