Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: BEWARE: Craigslist Scammer Monica Brown in South Beach

Default Re: Craigslist Scammer

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Christy, there is an easy way to stop these type of scams, use the website I posted in my first message in this thread to verify the real owner of the property, and make sure you're dealing with the owner, or the owner's agent. It only takes seconds.

Of course that doesn't protect you from unscrupulous owners, but there are additional steps you can take for that also.
    Right, but in most cases it's a tenant, rather than the owner who is advertising for a new roommate...so I think you still have to write a check to the tenant. Tricky..

I'm pretty sure you can report a scammer to craigslist, and just like we can ban people they can too.

I would think twice about meeting this person anywhere on your own, even if you bring a friend along. This woman could be working with some other people and they could be armed. If you are able to confirm that this is the same individual offering to show this other apartment, maybe you could let the detective know and they could pose as the prospective tenants?

rk

Default Re: Craigslist Scammer

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Right, but in most cases it's a tenant, rather than the owner who is advertising for a new roommate...so I think you still have to write a check to the tenant. Tricky..

I'm pretty sure you can report a scammer to craigslist, and just like we can ban people they can too.
    You should not rent directly from a tenant, they have no authority to sublet without the owner's permission. Always check with the owner in these situations.

Re. reporting a scammer, sure Craigslist will ban them, but it is completely useless. Anyone can register again under a new name in minutes. The poice have to do a better job of tracking and catching the crooks.

FL_Style welcome to the forums! I'm a bit late to this thread, but needless to say, I'm as outraged as everyone else. ("The Little Man Syndrome" did have me rolling on the floor though ... LOL).

I hope she gets caught and gets help!

Don't most tenants looking for roommates sublet illegally? I remember every standard rental contract I have ever signed specifically stated I could not have a roommate without prior approval from the owner and this, of course, would require a separate contract.

I always tell people here to never go with a strange sublet/roommate situation in Miami, regardless. Only room with someone you know well and trust. If you can't afford to live on your own and don't know anyone you trust, then save up money until you can rent your own place.

She deleted the old post but you can see it still cached in search:

Name:  Picture 1.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  22.4 KB

A 24 year old (she looks much older in the mug shot) "Monica Brown" was arrested in Miami on March 3 for Grand Theft ... is this her? Monica Brown | Inmate Arrest Records | Miami, Florida

(There is a disclaimer on this site for its accuracy though.)

The same arrest does appear on the Clerk of County Courts website though when you search for Monica Brown under criminal cases. Her DOB is 10/15/1986.

Name:  Picture 2.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  18.8 KB

FL_Style maybe you can get Help Me Howard on this case! Help Me Howard

Wow, if that is her mug shot then you got her! You can give it to the police and they already have a record on her.

Default Re: BEWARE: Craigslist Scammer Monica Brown in South Beach

WOW...you are a GENIUS!! THIS IS HER!!!!!!!! I thought that she showed a fake id & signed with a fake name but she was actually stupid enough to use her real info. I'm not sure why the police officer at the Miami PD couldn't find her info in the database.. Tomorrow we will demand to speak to a detective. Did you see the date of arrest? This chick must be out on bail!!! No wonder she was freaking out!!! Hopefully she doesn't go underground & her bail bondsmen can grab her before she disappears.

I remember that she was ugly, but not nearly as ugly as the girl in the photo. She must have been strung out on drugs when she was arrested. Either way, this is 100% her. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS LINK..I will post it to craigslist everyday until she is arrested in order to shut her business down. I've received messages from people that met with her today & they sent me photos of her to confirm that it was her!! She put two beds in an efficiency & attempted to rent them out as a "House Share"... So, I am CERTAIN that she will not stop until she is arrested.

I just want to thank everyone that has helped us out in this - as always we'll keep you posted!

RK was right, definitely a drug habit! Great website, Maria! Hopefully, you guys will be able to catch her soon.

OMG so it really was her! You know, I had a "hunch" that this chick had an Achilles heel and would be dumb enough to use her own name.

Dog the Bounty Hunter should hire me LOL

Seriously though, I hope she does get help.

This is a great story about how an online community can help solve a crime. I might have to blog about it ...
    Gus likes this.

And she woulda got away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddlin' kids!!

Maria should add Gumshoe to her list of titles! Excellent work!

Preferred Member

Bravo, Maria!!! You guys here are undeniably awesome!

Without a doubt, one of the most interesting threads I've read on this site.

Hiope this ends with a happy resolution and that bitch is brought to justice..

If this shit happened to me, I'm afraid I wouldn't have had the patience and would have gone Sicilian on her at the first smell of a rat.

One other thing that might be fun doing is contacting the Miami Times ( the neighborhood paper ) so they can run an expose on this trash.

Thumbs up Maria, SMG! (social media gumshoe!)

Maria, this is not only a great 'case study' for a blog, but also a great topic for a social media lecture.

You are the true SMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Do we have to call you Jessica Fletcher now?)

Perri, thank you! I'm going to blush! Thank you, Fred! But I hope you meant "Goddess" and not "Guru" :-)

UTS, noooooooooo! Let's break the story on Sex and the Beach first! FL_Style, please, please keep us posted!

Doug et al, the MIami-Dade Clerk of Courts Public Records search has been very useful to me in the past ... it was there I found out that an old boyfriend had applied for a marriage license with the mother of his kids while he was still full-on dating me. It was also there that I recently found out a guy I dated two years ago had lied to me about his actual divorce. It was useful as well when I was trying to keep up with a landlord who wanted to sell me her apartment but was in probate and I just had to assume, of course, that her attorney and she weren't telling the truth.

And another douchebag I was seeing from another state, I caught him by checking his local county's records totally lying about his marriage.

(By the way, this is not typical of my love life! There have been several very good apples among the rotten ones mentioned here.)

But back to rental fraud -- I think everyone should look up their landlords for criminal & civil records too, in addition to the foreclosure stuff RK mentioned above.

It's a shame we have to do this, but alas, that's the world we live in.

I'm uploading a screen shot here. She definitely wasn't have a good day.

Name:  Picture 3.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  27.9 KB

Default Re: BEWARE: Craigslist Scammer Monica Brown in South Beach

This is what really makes Craigslist scary to me. It's nice to know though that if something like this happens there's a whole group of people ready to help!

Exclamation Wordsmith Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Thank you, Fred! But I hope you meant "Goddess" and not "Guru" :-)
    Of being a goddess, I have no doubt, but knowing your feelings about the word guru when combined with social media, you will notice I refer to you as a true SMG Social Media Gumshoe. (Gumshoe is an old slang term for detective as gum soles on shoes do not make noise and allow one to tread without being noticed)

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast