Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1 Bedroom dog friendly apartment in South Beach?

I am moving to Miami this coming summer, and I have a lot of questions. I am taking the bar exam in July, but am looking for a place starting around June 1.

After looking on the boards I have decided that South Beach is where I want to live at least to start out. I have a 60 lb husky that will be moving with me. She will miss the snow far more than me. I am looking for an apartment hopefully under 1200/month and of course one that will let me keep my dog. I will most likely have to rent sight unseen. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh my goodness a Husky is Miami!

I would not rent sight unseen. Before moving to Miami I looked on Craigslist and sent the ones I liked to a realtor I was working with. There was one that looked so amazing..everything I wanted, and I thought about just telling her I want that one. Luckily I didn't because it was old, run-down, and the bed was right next to the refrigerator. In the pictures everything looked crisp, clean, and nicely furnished...very deceiving.It's worth the time and money to spend 3 days looking at apartments in person.

Plus, you can better negotiate with landlords on their pet policy if you meet them.

Default Re: 1 Bedroom dog friendly apartment in South Beach?

Unfortunately for me Christy I will be so busy over the next few months I do not imagine that I will be able to get down there to look at apartments.

I think I've gotten myself into a situation where I only have two options. The first is to have someone down there check out any places I find to make sure they are legit. The second is to come myself in the last week or so of May and hope to find a place that I can move into June 1. Of course that scares me, because I do not want to be living out of a hotel for too long.

Ya the move will be a huge transition for her, but she loves playing in water probably even more than playing in the snow.

Well if it helps, most of the apartments I looked at were vacant. The only way I'd do sight unseen is maybe a high rise that a has a good reputation, and all the units look the same.

rk

Christy is very right. Do not rent sight unseen. If you're tight on time you can rent first in a building that allows a one month rental, which will give you time to look for something longer-term. A 60 lb dog will limit your choices a lot.

I think I'd choose to find a place in one week than do sight unseen. I came down to Miami on an exploratory trip and looked at apartments and found the one I wanted in 3 days. And it was vacant, I could have moved right in. Plus when you're looking at a vacant place at the end of the month, the landlord will be fully prepared to negotiate and say yes to your dog (if the building allows).

But just because I said there will be vacant places, I don't mean a ton of beautiful, vacant apartments just waiting for you. You have to wed through a lot of not so nice ones. You have an ok price point..but have you thought about Brickell? Lots of nice buildings, a professional crowd, and if you need to study South Beach is really not the best place for that.

Well no sight unseen for me. I have been looking a little at Brickell, because I am not exactly sure where I will be working yet. However, I figured that all else equal South Beach beats Brickell for me.

I think I will do like you said and wont be committing to anything before coming down. If everything fails I think I can rent a friends vacation home, but that would be in Naples.

I would like to spend as little as possible is $900 for a 1 br with parking realistic for me? And what are the chances I would be able to get washer and dryer in unit? (had that for pretty much my whole life, not sure how I would do w/o).

Hi, I was able to find a decent 1 bedroom in an art deco building in South Beach for $975 a month, but it didn't have a washer/dryer in the unit or private parking. I suspect that those options, especially the w/d in unit, would put things over the $1000 mark.

It's great to here that it's possible to find a decent one bedroom for under $1000. I think I could learn to live without washer and dryer in unit. It might be harder not to have off-street parking, but I'm sure I could make do.

RK, do you have any guess as to how much it would cost to rent a place for just one month? I would guess that in June it might not be too hard to find a place for just one month...

rk

Sorry, I am not up on rental rates as much as I should be. You're correct that June is a slow month so you can find better deals. If you're not in a hurry you can negotiate almost everything downwards in your favor. Finding places that allow pets over 20 lbs will be your main restriction. You will find more options for your one-month rental if you include mid- and north-beach (note: "North Miami Beach" is not the same as "north beach"). You can look for your perect pad in south beach during that month.

Hi Rlshea! Welcome to the forums!

I understand that South Beach is your preferred choice, but do realize you'll get more bang for your buck on the mainland in places like Coconut Grove and South Miami. Recently, an apt in my condo building in South Miami was renting in that price range with 1 bedroom plus den, 1.5 baths, washer/dryer in unit, huge closets, 2 parking spaces and dogs allowed, and all this next to a very dynamic and fun little downtown area where you can walk to everything. Yeah, we don't have the ocean here, but we have the bay, beautiful tropical foliage and in my mind, a much better quality of life than the average renter on South Beach because there's none of the hassles of living in a super congested concrete jungle. It's just something to consider.

As with everyone, I agree you should not rent sight unseen and I encourage you to explore. If you don't know where you're going to end up working, honestly, I would do a six month rental because if you get a job far from where you are living, the commute could be hellish. A short rental will also give you a chance to explore once you are already here and become familiar with other neighborhoods that might better meet your needs.

I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by rlshea View Post
    It's great to here that it's possible to find a decent one bedroom for under $1000.
    Doug rented that apartment a few years ago..not sure exactly how many, but don't get the idea you're going to see a ton of decent places for that price now. Also, are you renting furnished or unfurnished? Unfurnished is cheaper. If you rent for one month they will charge you vacation weekly rates which are HIGH.

We're all aware of the scams of Craigslist but it's a great tool to see what you can get for the money. Also, call a realtor that will work to help you find something, and will email you MLS listings you can sift through.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Doug rented that apartment a few years ago..not sure exactly how many, but don't get the idea you're going to see a ton of decent places for that price now. Also, are you renting furnished or unfurnished? Unfurnished is cheaper. If you rent for one month they will charge you vacation weekly rates which are HIGH.

We're all aware of the scams of Craigslist but it's a great tool to see what you can get for the money. Also, call a realtor that will work to help you find something, and will email you MLS listings you can sift through.
    While it's true that I did rent that place a few years ago, when I left, the owner said he was lowering the rent by $75 a month because of the economy. So it should still serve as a good ballpark figure. Also, this was an owner-managed unit, so it was a little easier to negotiate than something run by a property management company.

Both of these ads look a little suspect because they don't give you a street address, and feature very generic-looking photos. Most of the legit ads do list a street address. It could still be legit, but this would make it easier for them to do a bait-and-switch or other scam. They may know that you can find out the ownership if you have the exact address.

Or they could be in a really rundown building. Also, in the case of the first ad, 2 blocks from the ocean is fine if it's south of Fifth. But north of there, it would be right in the middle of all the tourist congestion, which you want to avoid if you're living on the Beach. It's best to set your sites west of Euclid...
    Last edited by Doug; 03-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks guys, Maria I have looked at other areas around Miami, and have decided that for now South Beach is for me. For me South Beach just seems to have what I want right now.

Christy thanks for doing some looking for me. I too have been scouring Craigslist, but like Doug said when there's no address or price I get very leery. It seems most places I find on craigslist have immediate vacancies. Is it pretty common in Miami to find places like that.

Doug, if I were to find a situation like your former one. That is, where it's owner managed, I would guess there would be a lot more room for negotiation. I'm thinking that if I can get ahead of my work I might be able to make a quick exploratory look in April.

Maria, I was reading an old thread you started like 5 years ago on dogs in South Beach. I guess I was wondering if any of that information is still valid. While my dog will miss the snow she loves to play in the water. Are there any dog friendly beaches in Miami? Do they enforce the restrictions on dogs on the beach in South Beach?

If you haven't already, I suggest putting an "in search of" ad on CL. We did this numerous times and got some great places both in Manhattan and SoBe.

The last time we did this we ended up where we are now (going on year 4) a few blocks from the Waverly. For $1150: 740sqft 1/1.5 bath with huge balcony, full building renovation, pool, gated parking, new washer/dryer in unit + laundry room in building, large seperate kitchen with dishwasher, huge 13x14 bedroom, walk in closet and central AC. Nicest landlord EVER and really cute pet friendly small/med building that's very secure w/ nice updated carpeted hallways, and garbage chutes on each floor.

The key is finding a cool landlord (owner if possible) and being an ideal tenant - pay a week early, keep the place in good shape, etc etc. Ours loved us so much he actually lowered our rent when we considered leaving, and pays for any small repair materials we buy if we have something that breaks with normal use.

Also, finding a nice space/building but an actual apt that isn't brand new (no stainless, etc) will help - ours is clean and redone, but not "modern" and that helps- we're about $250 under what the newer ones go for. It's somewhat easy to take a standard (aka all white, popcorn ceiling) place and decorate it to hide the age. The first thing we did when we moved in was change all the door handles (about 20!) from ugly plastic to nice brushed stainless and/or ceramic ones - made a HUGE difference.

Offering an extra month upfront might get you a lower rent too - this worked twice in NYC for me.

Good luck!

Cockerspaniel ... wow, you really lucked out! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Landlords should pay for every repair ... including things that get worn out with normal wear and tear. My previous landlord was also great. When something broke, he would just ask that I call him and let him know what the repairs cost. Of course, I had to do some of the leg work, but he always faithfully reimbursed me.

My apartment came as is and I had it painted to a neutral color more to my liking (it was previously a hideous shade of forest green). he didn't pay for that, but that was cosmetic.

I think there's something about painting (might be in NYC only?) Every 3 yrs the LL has to cover the repainting cost/labor? I think most times a tenant over 1yr moves out they paint anyway. Sometimes you can negotiate that you'll take the place IF it's painted before you move in. If they want it rented they usually say ok.

We definitely lucked out - but looked a lot and did a lot of posting, emailing etc beforehand. Its just as stressful for a person/owner renting out, so once they find an ideal tenant they will do what they can to keep them and it works out for everyone. He gets great tenants with minimal issues/work who pay early, we get a great deal and service.

I've heard of LL's who paid for absolutely nothing, and if you withold any rent (again in NYC) they can legally not accept it as "partial payment" and take you to court - of course if you can prove its an issue that should be covered under the LL responsibility you will win but its a PITA. In most of my contracts it states the main / large appliances as under their responsibilty but doesn't specify the little things so its a gray area. I generally think of it as - anything that came in the apartment before we moved in is their job to fix (toilets, pipes, fridge etc) Of course, you can never really prove how something breaks, from wear/tear or misuse, so if you get an a--hole LL it may not be worth it to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by rlshea View Post
    Maria, I was reading an old thread you started like 5 years ago on dogs in South Beach. I guess I was wondering if any of that information is still valid. While my dog will miss the snow she loves to play in the water. Are there any dog friendly beaches in Miami? Do they enforce the restrictions on dogs on the beach in South Beach?
    Rlshea, to the best of my knowledge, dogs are not allowed on any Miami Beach beaches. But I've seen people play with their dogs late in the afternoon or just around sunrise. I have never seen a dog on the beach during prime crowded hours.

I haven't confirmed this, but I think the only beaches in Miami-dade that allow dogs are Hobie Beach and Virginia Key on Key Biscayne. Yet another reason you might consider living in Brickell since you'll be closer to that beach.

Besides the one in Fort Lauderdale, the only dog beach I know of in the rest of Southeast Florida is one in Jupiter. This is the beach where your dog can cavort among the humans and security or lifeguards won't bother you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast