Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who says South Beach is Expensive?

So, there is a lot of talk about how expensive South Beach. I regularly dispute that because, honestly, I find the rest of the city to be more expensive. Case in point.

Our pickup needed 4 new tires. Annette first checked with our regular shop, King, in the bad part of Wynwood. Normally, they are really cheap. But, tires aren't really their thing. So, she checked the Firestone on Alton, just because it is close to where we live. After she got the price from them, she called a number of other tire places on the mainland. All were more expensive than the Firestone in South Beach.

That's a cool Firestone. ... A classic MiMo design by Igor Polevitsky.

Glenn

For tires yes, for drinks no!

I think chain retail businesses like Walgreens, Office Depot, Publix and Firestone are going to charge about the same wherever they are. Unless of course they're gas stations. Those tend to charge more on South Beach.

They have drinks at Firestone? What are you talking about Christy?

But I agree, the Firestone and the Martino tire on Alton are both very reasonably priced. But a lot of other stuff, you gotta admit coach, is more expensive out here. Gas is a good example. Services too.

I mean that sure, tires may be cheaper is SoBe but things people buy on a daily basis are more expensive.

SoBe is expensive for food, drinks and entertainment.

Default Re: Who says South Beach is Expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    SoBe is expensive for food, drinks and entertainment.
    agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    They have drinks at Firestone? What are you talking about Christy?

But I agree, the Firestone and the Martino tire on Alton are both very reasonably priced. But a lot of other stuff, you gotta admit coach, is more expensive out here. Gas is a good example. Services too.
    I actually have not found this to be true. There have been many times when I was out in the mainland looking for gas and it was more than the stations on Alton and 17th. I mean, no one was more surprised than me. And I'm not even talking about Downtown/Brickell, I've been out in Hialeah and other areas whose names I do not know and not found good prices on gas.

I feel the same way about food, but I think that is more a function of me knowing where to go in my neighborhood and not knowing other neighborhoods well. I got in a discussion with a friend of mine who lives in Brickell about relative costs of food. I always feel that the food in Brickell is pricey (not counting Tobacco Road and Transit, of course). She claimed the opposite, of course.

Drinks? I don't think I buy that either. I think that, given a similar venue, drinks are similarly priced. Fox's vs Deuce. Blue Martini vs Dream. Mia vs Cameo. Well, and I *know* that Segafredo Brickell is way more expensive than Segafredo Lincoln.

Brickell and the Beach may be comparable. But that's two high-market nightlife areas. Or at least areas catering to people with more money. Cheaper to go out in outlying areas, though, not called Coral Gables. Then again, who really want's to be going out in Kendall?

I had amazing mojitos at Ortanique in Coral Gables for $10 the other day. There's no way that would ever happen in SoBe.

Someone should do a price by price comparison on specific things like movie tickets, etc ;

Movie tickets are more expensive I think on the beach. I go here, and I go to the Kendall movie theater and they are cheaper over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    I had amazing mojitos at Ortanique in Coral Gables for $10 the other day. There's no way that would ever happen in SoBe.

Someone should do a price by price comparison on specific things like movie tickets, etc ;
    Was that regular price? All drinks at Segafredo Lincoln are $9.50, including Mojitos. How much are the Mojitos at Monty's SoBe?

Movie tickets may be $1 more at the Regal on Lincoln. They are $11. AMC Sunset Place is $10.50. Paragon Grove is $11.00.

And I know that street parking in Coral Gables is more expensive than South Beach.

I'll agree on Matt's comparison, but Kendall is not Miami. Hialeah is not Miami. But, yeah, the suburbs may be less expensive.

Coach, seriously? Technically, no, Kandall and Hialeah are not Miami. But you wanna talk about authentic? it doesn't get much more Miami than those two areas.

Couldn't pay me enough to live in either, though.

Flanigan's in Surfside honors the 9 PM happy hour. Me and a friend had two huge salad entrées, ordered garlic rolls (I did not partake of those), four premium brand cocktails and all came out to $46 with tip.

Matt, I don't understand what you mean authentic? What are you referring that to?

Maria, I like that Flanigans, fun place!

We just ate at Finnegan's Way on Ocean Drive. $11.95 large steak sandwich with onion strings. $7.00 frozen daquiri. That's not expensive, and the food is good.

Coach, I'm so glad you started this thread. Let's keep the bargain Miami and the beaches places posted here!

Coach how much is metered parking in City of Coral Gables? I find downtown to be ridiculous at $1.75/hour when it is a desolate sh*t hole at night.

The parking garage across from Books & Books in Coral Gables is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Coach, seriously? Technically, no, Kandall and Hialeah are not Miami.
    Dude, there is no REAL Miami. I have said this a million times. There are many Miamis ... if it's in Miami-Dade County, it's "Miami" ... whether it's frou-frou or ghetto or redneck, it's Miami.

Coach, I specifically said AMAZING mojitos ... not a mickey mouse cocktail like the ones they have at Segafredo. I like Segafredo, though. You can't beat the buzzing atmosphere and people watching.

Yes, the real Miami is Miami-Dade. Even Homestead, though that's way the hell down in Miami. As long as you're within the county lines, you're in Miami as far as most people are concerned.

That's why you can live in Kendall and still use "Miami" as your mailing address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast