Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By matveyevamaria

Thread: How to get a bartending job?

New User

Default How to get a bartending job?

I am having a hard time finding anyone willing to hire me for a bartending position. I went to bartending school and am now certified but I dont have any actual bartending experience outside of making drinks and shooters for me my friends and family in my personal life. All these places want experienced so its a catch 22. How do i get the initial experience if no one is willing to hire me to begin with? I understand that I will need to work hard and maybe even start out as a bar back while getting the bartender training but I cant seem to get a job & I really want to start my bartending career! Can you give me any advice???

Hey sassyjay, welcome to the forum! When you went to apply as a bartender did anyone ask you if you were willing to start out as a barback? If not, did you suggest it to any of them? That, to me, seems like the easiest way to get your foot in the door, like you said. Are you looking on South Beach specifically, or where?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, sassyjay, welcome to Miami Beach 411.

Do you have any friends who work in restaurants, or bars?

I've rarely seen bartenders get hired who weren't friends with somebody already working at the establishment.

Preferred Member

The barback option is a great way to start. Another option is to work in a small hotel to get experience and then move to a better/busier place.

When i started bartending i worked in a Holiday Inn. For them being licensed was enough to leave me alone in charge of a bar. I have to admit that i always wished for more customers or younger ones (average age was 55), but overall it was a great learning experience that i will never forget.

Also when applying for a job dont be afraid of asking to see the bar manager in person. Many times personality and looks can make for inexperience. So as long as you know how to talk, dress up and be friendly you should be ok. They might well be willing to train the right person.

Here is one last recommendation: There are a few 24 hr restaurants on the beach. Normally is really hard for the managers in those places to hire staff that is willing to work the graveyard shift. So here is the deal, if you are willing to be sleepless for a few months, make limited amounts of money, have no social life but gain a lot of experience, this should be a great one for you.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Muffin

New User

Hi, I'm an italian bartender and i'll be in miami on november.
    I'm looking for a good bartending job , but i need to know if i need a visa(as worker) to find a good job in miami. Or ,if I can't without it, how to make a work contract to take a visa, directly from italy.

Please , HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by rikyITA
    Hi, I'm an italian bartender and i'll be in miami on november.
    I'm looking for a good bartending job , but i need to know if i need a visa(as worker) to find a good job in miami. Or ,if I can't without it, how to make a work contract to take a visa, directly from italy.

Please , HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!
    Oh, thats a tough one buddy. Although a lot of places in Miami Beach hire under the table (without visa), restaurants in Miami have been on a trend to only hire legal people lately.

As for getting them to get you a visa to work, i dont think they will go through that much hassle just to hire a bartender. Work visas are too expensive and take too much time.

The one option you have is the J-1 visa. I believe this visa is a students visa that allows you to be sponsored by a place and work in there for up to 6 months.

Hey you never now.

Muffin

New User

Hi,

I was reading this thread and I found a lot of good answers from helpful people from Miami!

Thank you!

Carina

Gus

Hi, Carina, I'm happy you find it helpful!

Welcome to Miami Beach 411.

New User

being a bar tender in Miami is about equal with being a bar/restaurant manager anywhere else

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by south florida
    being a bar tender in Miami is about equal with being a bar/restaurant manager anywhere else

Wow! You are going to have to be more specific! Unfortunately i dont really agree with you so I would like to see where are you going with this.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Muffin

New User

HI...
    I have been a bartender here for many years... and have also been a bar manager as a small Memphis restaurant and banquet hall here in Toronto.
    I would like to know how easy it will be to get a job down in Miami.. and what would be the best way to do so.

Gus

South Beach is such a small area, I think the easiest way to find a bartending job at a restaurant would be to just walk around and ask to speak with the manager. If you decide to do so, make sure to go before, or after the lunch rush. Also, dress nice and bring lots of resumes. Having a resume on hand will make the process much quicker and less painless.

If you want to work in a nightclub, you'll need to be a little more resourceful.

New User

Aloha,

I am a fellow bartender and I went through the same thing when I first was trying to get a bartending job. That was a long time ago. I searched for weeks on end and no one would hire me. I had to get a job in a less desirable place than I was looking for and I only got that job because my father knew the owner of the restaurant. If I were you I would look at some of the less desireable places to work because you aren't going to most likely be able to land a bartending job at a club or bar that is really popular without experience. Go somewhere smaller and if you do get hired stay as long as you can to get experience under your belt. I stayed at my first bartending job for 3 years. Or you might apply as a server and let them know you have an interest in being trained for the bar. Hope this helps.

Preferred Member

I did the bartender school 20 years ago, with the same story that nobody wanted to hire. It took me two weeks and literally about 80 restaurant and 50 bars I walked in asking for position. I got lucky because one place they fired the bartender the night before. Most of the other guys & girls from the school never got any jobs in the field.

New User

Default Re: How to get a bartending job?

Hello,

I am a good and experienced bartender from New York and I'm moving to Miami, South beach in the beginning of May. I know, that summer is not the best time to make money there. However, will I be able to make a decent living during the next 4-5 months? Considering that I will be hired shortly after my arrival, how much can I expect to make per month?

Thank you!
    Francisco182 likes this.