Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    ZBA
    New User

Default Living and Jobs in Miami, is it right for me?

I just moved to the state, I am staying with relatives right now in Orlando. I have one family member that may find work in Miami beach for the Mount sinai Hospital.

I could have the option to go down there and stay with them and try to find work myself .I have allot of cash saved up I can buy a condo outright down there with money to spare.I need to be careful about this though.

I have been to Miami beach, but I cannot decide if it is a place that it really just for vactioners and that I would get tired of it after a while. I just did my MBA and have 2 bachelors degrees. Would finding work be impossible because it is more of a tourist place and would I eventually find work in broward or something?

or should I focus more on orlando because I am here? I have already been applying to both cities since I have been here for the past 3 months.

if my relative moved down there it would likely be a permanent decision, so in way what is the real deal of life down there is it worth it?

I have an MBA with a focus in management and accounting, I also have a undergrad education in exercise physiology, and a 2nd bachelors in psychology. I originally was a personal trainer, but I don't want to do that again. I am originally from canada but I am a dual citizen to the USA. I am in orlando now.

would I be cornered job wise? I have no finance/ accounting experience currently and do not speak spanish?

I do like the area, but Im think it may not be realistic for me... I don't know what to do because I love the beach

my Biggest fear is finding no job and staying with family forever and having limited options, for advancement by not speaking spanish

** sorry if I repeat myself but Im reposting my thoughts from city data, I have this very same post there. I just found this site

You don't actually say what it is you want to do for work?

I love Miami Beach and would not want to live in any part of the city. But there are others who live in Miami and would never want to live on the beach. Where you choose to live is up to you, but if people on vacation seem tiresome then the beach is not for you. I personally don't notice tourists anymore, and they have never bothered me in the slightest.

The beach stretches for miles and there are beaches in Broward... what actually is drawing you to consider Miami Beach?

ZBA
    New User

Default Re: Living and Jobs in Miami, is it right for me?

I was a personal trainer for a while , I just finished my MBA last year, so I need to find work. I dont want to go back to personal training. I mentioned this above.. but anyways

what draws to Miami beach is really nothing more than the tropical scenery, and the beach. Nightlife is ok but it's not a mass priority. I really just like being around the tropics. I have visted tropical locations world wide for 20 years. I have been to carribean at least 10 times. Point is I just want to be around the environment, that's basically it. it's somewhat of a dream of mine, but the work and language barrier is troubling me

I could go on, but it's all stuff you have heard before

Miami has lots of opportunities for work. You might not find your dream job, but you can always find a way to get by for the meantime in Miami, that's how it has been for my friends and myself.

ZBA
    New User

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    Miami has lots of opportunities for work. You might not find your dream job, but you can always find a way to get by for the meantime in Miami, that's how it has been for my friends and myself.
    well sure thats true, but since I dont speak spanish and the unemployment is the way that it is, I fear having limited opportunites, how is Aventura for living?.

would I have to work in broward?

Being that you have an MBA with a focus on management and accounting, you may be able to find something down in MIA but without any such experience, it will likely be entry level. The job market is tough down here as it is in most of the country, so you need to be patient. I will not rule out Broward, since you may have a better shot up there. But even living in Broward is just fine, as I hang out there quite often and it's a bit different than the Miami scene in a good way. It may not be as chic but there's still tons to do and the nightlife is great. Aventura is good especially if you're going to drive to Broward. I would not recommend Sunny Isles (although it is a beatuful area), as it will be a pain going east to get to I95.

As far as being in a "tropical" place, well you're already in Florida so that's a good start. If you're a beach guy, like me, and want that as your priority, but doesn't place such a great emphasis on nightlife, I would recommend you check out the Tampa Bay area for jobs. The weather is awesome (more tolerable than Miami in the summer IMO), it's cheaper to live there, and you will be close to Clearwater Beach, or even live there if you so choose. Plus, the people there are way friendlier. It has nightlife, but it's a more traditional Florida type of nightlife. I love Tampa.

ZBA
    New User

good points, what is the deal with the friendliess? will people be rude. Here is another question

I am Nordic Looking, Blonde Haired Blue eyes, would people treat me like a Tourist?

Most people here are tourists, it doesn't really matter if you are or are not. I am blonde with blue eyes, and an English accent to go with it... everyone assumes I'm a tourist, but it has never been an issue. Only in cabs when they try and sit in the traffic of Collins to take me places. I say, excuse me, I live here, why did you take this road? Take Euclid and stop trying to make money sitting in traffic

I look very very anglo saxon. Red hair green eyes, 6 foot tall 210 lbs I really stick out against the short dark complexion latinos. And I still feel right at home, and I really get a kick out of throwing my "cubiche" spanish on people.

if the choice is between Orlando and Miami, choose Miami because Orlando is the "more tourist place" as you mentioned.

I can go on and on about why Miami is better. It's just more of a real city. Orlando is just to Disneyesque for me.

If you have the money to buy, you have the money to rent and check it out for yourself.

Hi ZBA, Welcome to MiamiBEach411!

Like Jess, I'm still unclear about what you want to do for work. You have your MBA but what job in particular are you interested in?

You seem set on getting a job related to your degree, so I would apply for jobs before you decide on where to live. What about Ft. Lauderdale? Beach, young people, jobs, and you don't need to be bilingual.

Even though you have the money, I'd wait before buying a condo. Rent for awhile to see if you like whatever area you decide on. Otherwise your stuck living in a place you may not like..

Are you familiar with all the career sites like monster.com, etc? Good luck on your job search!

Preferred Member

ZBA - Which university did u get your MBA from? Some universities have very strong alumni networks. Perhaps your university has alumni who are based in Miami and can provide you with job opportunities advice and connections.

Since money doesn't seem to be an issue for you, you may want to consider enrolling in classes to learn Spanish in Miami for the first few months while looking for a job (if you are set on relocating to Miami).

ZBA
    New User

I went to school in Canada ( UBC), because I am a dual citizen I deiced to come to the USA, I have a dual focus in Management and accounting. Highly unlikely would I have an alumni net work here. I will likely be working in finance or accounting,I have my B.sc in Exercise Physiology, but I don't want to go back to fitness industry again

I hate to break it to you but you have 2 strikes working against you... You don't speak spanish and you don't have any experience to complement your MBA. I can't tell what kind of job you want since with an accounting background, you have a number of different career path options. Do you have your CPA or CA? If not, it will make the job search that much more difficult as most places down require experience and/with a CPA or CA. If not, then you will likely need to take an entry level job not making much money for now but once you get more experience, you can explore your options. Been down that road when I was fresh out of school. What do you want to do with your MBA? Public Accounting, Asset Management, Auditing, etc. If you are anxious to get down here, you can use your Personal training background to get a job, but like you said, you don't want to do that anymore.

ZBA
    New User

I know that, thats why Im thinking about, perhaps looking for work mainly in Broward

Nothing wrong with Broward. You may end up liking it more than Miami.