Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Living in Mid Beach

Is mid beach a fun place to live? My buddies and I moving in next week and I still don't have a clear feeling of what life is like there. We're below 63rd street, but obviously still a few miles from South Beach. Will that mean we'll have a markedly different experience than someone living in SoBe?

I know Mid Beach is much more low key. The two friends who I'm living with say they prefer to live in a quieter neighborhood and then party in South Beach. I think this sounds good too, but I wonder if we've underestimated the day-to-day benefit of living in a more energized, culturally eclectic environment?

Hi JC1983, welcome to the forum! I know one of the forum regulars, Maria, lives there and raves about it. I've been through that way a few times, and it feels a lot more relaxed and less congested. It's not really so far from the action, though. You can take the boardwalk down (it goes from SoBe to 44th St) day or night, if you're into nice long walks by the sea...

Suzanne C

Hey JC1983 and welcome to the forums.

Mid-beach doesn't have the pizzaz, hustle & bustle, or madness of Sobe.

BUT, before you begin thinking that's a bad thing, I LOVE heading to the beach on 53rd & Collins, next to the fire station.

When I go there, this is what I miss from Sobe:

A) numerous unsolicited cat calls from hairy men

B) sand kicked at me when dumb drunk guys decide to play football directly over my beach towel in the hopes that I will somehow think they are greek gods

C) incessant lifeguard whistles as lifeguards corral drunk swimmers

D) miami beach 5-O running me over (no lie, this has happened on multiple occasions)

E) music wars from all the boom boxes

Hey JC1983! Are you below 63rd on Collins or more inland?

Welcome to the hood! South of 63rd and north of 23rd is what I call the tranquil suburb of South Beach. Everything south of 23rd is the madhouse.

You made the right choice. Here, you have the best of both worlds. The madhouse is just a short drive or cab ride away. If you want to party and consider the fact that valet or flat rate parking is expensive on weekends, taking a cab is a reasonable expense, especially if shared among buddies. Also, it's just that much easier to get OFF and ON the island via Julia Tuttle Causeway.

41st street has many conveniences at hand: CVS, post office, several banks, medical offices, hardware store and a smattering of restaurants, including one of my favorites, Oasis (corner of Alton and 41st) as well as the last standing authentic Jewish deli on the beach. Also parking is not a hassle up here.

There are also two small kosher markets, but that's really more convenient for us who walk around close by on 41st street. There's a Publix just near 71st street that may be more convenient for you for food shopping and just a block south of that a Walgreen's, which is the best deal in town for liquor/beer/wine. Just north of 63rd on Collins northbound is a gas station with not so bad prices. Better than South Beach last time I checked.

Close to 41st street you'll find a very concentrated hassid/orthodox jew community, plus lots of schools, which doesn't exactly make for a party crowd, but boy does it make it pleasant and comfortable to live around here knowing you won't have to deal with assholes.

As others have already suggested, the beach and boardwalk up here is quite nice.

There's a great bar on 39th street called Carrabas. It's got a tiki hut and is a great alternative from South Beach for some lazy afternoon refreshment.

If you are on Collins, do now that 63rd south is 100% residential. You'll have to go up to 71st or down to 41st to get shopping done.

I used to live on South Beach and I don't regret my move at all. You get more real estate for your buck up here. The same apartment I live in would be prohibitive for me down in South Beach.

I actually lived ON Lincoln Road but the truth is I enjoy it so much more now not having it all in my face all the time. It's just two miles away as the crow flies. It really is SO CLOSE, but culturally different.

No, it won't be the same as living in South Beach, but you can still fully enjoy all the good stuff that South Beach has to offer without any of the drawbacks.

Like I said, best of both worlds.

Please let me know if you have any more questions! I've been in this neighborhood for nearly 4 years.

Welcome to Miami!

Hey everyone, I was just up in North Beach this afternoon -- I went to the ocean there by the North Shore Open Space Park near 81st and Collins....the water was beautiful and had that sparkling baby-blue hue I normally only see in Hollywood. The park there was really cool also, with all the sea grape trees and palms.

Across the street was that plant nursery Maria mentioned before, that had the juice stand that recently closed. I bought a Dracaena Cornstalk plant for my apartment for $15. It's a nice little area up there. A lot more mellow than down here in South Beach.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

How was parking, Doug? Was it easy to get around?

Hi Gus,

There was metered parking on Collins by the park, but there is free parking on the side streets. It's very easy to park during weekdays, but nights and weekends are difficult. There aren't as many commercial businesses in that immediate vicinity, but if you go down to 71st, there are a lot of little restaurants and stuff.

Hey Doug! I used to live on 80th and Harding. North Shore Park was my regular beach. I had a view of that beach from my apartment. It was gorgeous! I think the sand is a little whiter and also it's a bit more shoaly. It really is quite nice and worth a little drive up Collins.

Hi Maria,

I think this area might become one of my new hangouts!

New User

Thank you for all the great info. This site and its forums are a fantastic source of information (easily the best I've come across for Miami Beach. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Your welcome, JC1983!

Stop by anytime!