Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Lots of Questions About my Big Move!

I love that there are 3 dif happy faces w/ a tongue hanging out. This one is the tweeker tongue out happy face.

... and with no logical basis other than to stick it to new residents

yes, but also, its for the first time you put any vehicle on the road too, even if you didn't move from out of state or if you had a vehicle on the road for awhile, then had no car for lets say a year, and go get another one. Its like an initial " sign up cost " for having a vehicle on the road.

The only time you don't pay it is if the car / scooter / etc.. you have registered vehicle that dies or you sell it ( get rid of it ) then buy another vehicle of the same type.... then... that fee gets waived and instead of paying ~ $28 for the new plate, you pay $7.35 for a plate transfer ..... BUT.... you also again pay + $75 for new title + ~ $50 for the year to register the new vehicle ( doesn't matter if you have time left on your old registration, it doesn't get put towards your new one) Yes you have to pay all this over again, you can't just pop the plate from one vehicle to the next and notify the DMV about it and transfer the remaining registration time over like in some states. Such Malarkey! I just found this out when getting a new scooter. I thought it was like $7.35 and that was it to transfer my plates... hell, I was paid up on registration until my birthday. Now I am again but I had to pay it all over again.

The only way I have seen this huge fee avoided ($225 ish " start up fee / new vehicle in FL fee ) + $75 Title + $50 Registration + $28 Plate ) Ya you're looking at $425 upfront... and guys correct me if I'm wrong w/ these, they are estimates but.. I'm still learning all this FL motor vehicle rules BS :p

the only way I have avoid AS many fees is the particular scooter shop I got my scooter from gave me a flat fee of $200 for everything. First time having a vehicle and ALL of it was taken care of, I got my title in the mail, and was able to drive the scooter off the lot the same day w/ a temp plate and registration. I picked up the real one from them a few days later. It seemed like a little less overall and I didn't have to make a trip to motor vehicle.

The ONE good thing about getting your FL license is you get it that day on the spot as soon as your picture is taken there. In NY I used to get a temporary paper one and they sent you your real picture ID in the mail about a month later ( not good if you need ID for a plane or to get into a bar) So I will give them that, you get your license then and there and you can put an emergency contact in the system under your license that can be looked up if you are hurt/killed. They didn't have that w/ the licenses in NY either.

So its not JUST people transfering from out of state, its for people getting a vehicle on the road that didn't have one on the road period.

Hit up Geico.com for a quote. Try doing a quote w/ your old address and with your new, check out the rates differences, play around with the coverage options (comp/col vs. just liability). You can give a fake name and e-mail address so they don't bug you by email, it will generate a quote on the spot, not email it to you anyway. Just change the last digit of your social security number and it seems to work too, you just want an idea right? I did this and the insurance was like 4x higher than I was paying in NY.

Lots of BS but hey, at least you won't freeze ur but off more than 3-5 days a year here and oh yes... the palm trees

To bad you can't ask for a gift certificate to Motor Vehicle as a " going away gift " from friends & family :p At least you are now prepared to get punched in the crotch with fees at Motor Vehicle, and not shocked when you get there :p
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 06-13-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Catt, I use State Farm and am ok with my insurance rate. Geico and Progressive always come out higher for me, though I was a Geico customer for many years. But a lot of it depends on how many miles you declare you drive and where you park the car, too.

I saved so much by switching from Progressive to Geico but its always good to shop around, I'll have to remember this if I ever get a car again. I always say I drive to work, 2 miles and park the car in a safe. LMAO.

it's not the insurance i'm concerned about - i already have Geico and of course will check the costs with them, as well as research/get estimates from other companies too, when i have a new address.

it's the so-called 'new wheels' fee i have a problem with - and it's not that i don't have the money, I do have it.

it's the PRINCIPLE of the thing.

it doesn't matter that it's "not JUST people transfering from out of state" - I understand that. The point is that this ridiculously high fee exists at all. And regardless of who else it also applies to, it WILL apply to me as someone coming in from another state. And there's just no logical reason for it to cost nearly 500.00 solely to update my license, registration, and tags to a FLA address. It makes no sense at all.

Great advice from 411 members is FREE!
    o'mygoodness YES!!!!!!

so i gotta say again i'm so glad i joined here - i never would have known about this fee otherwise because it's so not a common practice - it's not something i'd ever expect as a standard fee.

so better I know it now than find out about it AS i'm standing in front of the DMV.....

thanks so much again for all the great information shared here!!! :: bowin down smiley ::
    Last edited by Catt; 06-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.

I didn't know about that fee, either. I did long term leases until a car was given to me as a gift and it's not in my name. I lucked out.

That's our efficient Florida government at work ... NOT!

I do have to show up an renew my license in person this year because it's been over 8 years since they took a photo and checked my eye sight. I'm going to make a day of it and go to the DMV in the Florida Keys.
    Catt likes this.

I feel ya Catt.. it sucks... BS!
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 06-13-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    Catt likes this.

I had to find new insurance, because the previous carrier wouldn't insure anyone in Florida. Then I was planning on going to USAA, because in most places none of the other carriers even come close to competing with USAA's rates. However, USAA apparently is not a fan of Miami drivers so it's premiums were ridiculously high, like a hundred dollars more a month than Geico.

I ended up getting Geico, but I still can't get over how much higher my premiums are here compared to Minnesota. That is, until I drove up 95 to Fort Lauderdale...

Default Re: Lots of Questions About my Big Move!

However, USAA apparently is not a fan of Miami drivers

heh, me either

You don't even have to speak English to get a licence here! At Motor Vehicle you can get a drivers manual in English, Spanish or Creole!
    Catt likes this.

I'm going to make a day of it and go to the DMV in the Florida Keys.
    i LOVE it! what a great idea...... i do actually have some expereince with the way this stuff works (or doesn't) in Miami.....

last year when i hadda pay a parking ticket i made the mistake of going in person, on the tuesday after a Monday holiday, to the main DMV office .... after a 3 hour wait - yes JUST for a stupid parking ticket - i got smart and left outta there and went down to the SoBe office instead, figuring there wouln'dt be too many tourists with parking issues, LOL. well they couldn't even find the ticket in their system, and why? because the idiot who gave me the ticket put it face down on the wet windshield in a rainstorm - so of course the whole thing ripped no matter how carefully i had tried to get it off the windshield ..... (which is why i couldn't just pay it online - the citation number was smeared and half ripped)

so i then hadda go to a THIRD place, also in SoBe (by this time it was 6 PM) - and as it turns out, at that particular office they only took payment for parking permits. (mind you all of these places were advised to me by DMV staff - ya think they coulda TOLD me accurate info??? nooooooooooooooo)

i wound up finally going upstairs to the parking authority office - where again i STILL could not actually PAY the ticket - all they could do was have their admin find it in the computer..... and then i hadda go home and pay it online.

WHICH WAS ALL I WANTED TO DO IN THE FIRST DYAM PLACE! LOL.

our tax dollars at work, eh????
    Last edited by Catt; 06-13-2011 at 01:14 PM.

mind you all of these places were advised to me by DMV staff
    in English? LOL!

Wow what a run around! That sucks that you had to waste your time visiting by running around!

LMAO - si, en Ingles....

but mind you i COULDA done it in Spanish, Patois, OR Kreyol ....... if any of them had just said something accurate in ANY language i coulda managed it, hahaha

yah it really was a monumental waste of an entire day - good thing i was there for over a month. (that was my "checking it out to see if i'd like living there" visit.)

Maria, go to the DMV in Kendall and make an appt. They are great there. I made my appt and walked right in, no wait. I would go back there no hesitation. (It's waaaay down in SW, by Tamiami airport)

if any of them had just said something accurate in ANY language i coulda managed it, hahaha

hahahahahahahah

good thing i was there for over a month. (that was my "checking it out to see if i'd like living there" visit.)
    wow thats a nice long visit, great idea

i visited south beach at least once a year for 7 yrs, and about 9-10 days each time, I always did apartment hunting and explored like crazy so I did a similar thing but not all at once :p

yah, i've been coming every year for the Caribbean Carnival and staying for a couple weeks - then last year i played with the band in the Carnival parade (that's where my profile pic is from), so i needed to be there a good three weeks in advance for rehearsals. So i decided i'd just get an apartment for a month instead of a hotel, and make it my fact-finding trip at the same time.... SO much fun, drove down in my own car, and then drove all over the place & got familiar with the whole area from Cutler Bay all the way up to Lauderdale, and everything in between (including the infamous parking authority, LOL) -- it was fabulous!
    Last edited by Catt; 06-13-2011 at 03:09 PM.

fun trip!

wow! that is a huge exploration.... ive always only explored South Beach ( 10 by 20 block chunk area ) but explored it well, every single street, etc.. lol.

well you have a lot more knowledge & experience than i do... i did get to spend some time in SoBe proper but not a whole lot, I took a few fun tours, explored around the art deco district, walked up and down Collins & the beach, did a lil shopping & had some nice "lady lunches" in lovely places..... but i'll definitely have to spend a lot more time down there when i move to the area to get to know it, and I'm SO looking forward to that!

last year my apt was in North Beach; friends' house, band rehearsal space, and my new chiropractor (yay!) are all in North Miami -- so I spent a lot of time over there - but we had gigs all over the place, and since I had a car, well.... i was a designated band driver every time.....Never mind that i had no shred of an idea where I was going, hahaha! Cutler Bay was a real adventure, but mapquest saved my behind -

Thats cool that you gained some driving experience in Miami. I hate driving anywhere but South Beach, then again there are not that many places you can or want to take a little scooter that maxes out at 35mph so I stay on the island. I'm excited for you and your moving date. Mine was Dec 29th, 2009. I used to run around the office at my old job and stick post it notes on people with the number I had of days left until I was OUT OF THERE
    Catt likes this.

haha oh i know THAT's right!

i love being able to drive, it gives me great freedom to just "up and go". it took me til i was 50 to have a brand-new car, so I'm enjoying it to the MAX!!! For exploring around, or taking tours and adventuring, i also enjoy taking public transportation - but as an option, not as my only choice.

When it comes to getting somewhere i need to go on a timeline - and especially when i have to carry the drums - i wanna control my own ride.... with A/C and I-pod, i soooooo adore it ....
    Last edited by Catt; 06-13-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Catt. nobody else on here is gonna tell you this, but as the resident shady driver...

YOU DON'T NEED TO REGISTER YOUR CAR IN FLORIDA

Yeah, technially, maybe you're supposed to. But I had out of state plates on my car for, oh, about 5-7 years and never had even a small issue with it. I only had to re-register here because the state it was from was requiring emission tests to renew, and cheaper to register here than drive to Seattle

Insurance, also kinda an optional thing. Again, yes, you're SUPPOSED to have it but the ticket for not having it is like $81. So it really boils down to if you want to bet on yourself. Which I do. I haven't had car insurance since 2005, and even then I think it was only for like six months. Again, got one ticket but past that never a problem.

Take my advice as you will, but these costs can be completely avoided.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast