Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

View Poll Results: Do you feel Rt. 826 East/West is becoming an extension of Liberty City?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the hood extends northward. Crime could be a problem

1 50.00%
  • The Same: Just a busy if not congested route between the beach and the Golden Glades Interchange

1 50.00%
  • Are You Kidding? Before you know it, developers will come in and create pricey real estate from the beach to I-95

0 0%
  • A solid communitty: Tourists and locals can drive and walk safley with not a worry

0 0%

Default Sunny Isles Blvd./State Rt. 826

Is it just me? But, it seems whenever I drive from the area around the Rascal House (Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach) that via Sunny Isles Blvd. seems to take twice as long as by the newer Lehman Causeway/Yves Dairy Road route to I-95.

Route 826 evokes childhood memories because Lehman wasn't even built. Sunny Isles Blvd. was the way to I-95, Palmetto Expressway and Florida Turnpike. Of course this road lead to the now defunct Corky's deli.

Last summer, I drove Sunny Isles blvd. to I-95 for old times sake. Sadly this road reminded me of a suburban sprawl ghetto corridor. For those of you familiar with Baltimore, Md. USA (my hometown and residence) Sunny Isles Blvd. especially west of Biscayne Blvd. (Rt. 1) reminds me of Liberty Road in Randallstown, Md. but with palm trees. Liberty Rd. in suburban Baltimore has become a ghetto type road, check cashing places, dollar stores, rent-a-centers, nail salons and plenty of fast food joints. Also, you have kids wearing pants 5 sizes too big (hip hop fashion) shuffling across the street right in front of you as you drive. (not respecting common courtesy and safety rules).

Has Rt. 826 become an extension of Overtown/Liberty City? A lot of locals claim this once middle class area has fallen on hard times and become the "hood" extended. What is this area really like from a resident's perspective?

However, one possible silver lining to this area is a developing Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. Is this fact true?

Hi zippyjet!
    Is it just me? But, it seems whenever I drive from the area around the Rascal House (Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach) that via Sunny Isles Blvd. seems to take twice as long as by the newer Lehman Causeway/Yves Dairy Road route to I-95.
    Ives Dairy Rd and the William Lehman Causeway are definitely faster; I-95 curves West as it gets closer to 163rd St., making it a longer distance to Collins Ave., plus all the lights and curves on 163rd st. make it a nightmare.

When I moved to Miami 12 years ago, I used to travel 163rd St. all the time as I lived on 142nd Street and US-1. The area has gone through some changes with the mall closing and Wal-Mart opening, but it is relatively the same.

Miami is one of the poorest cities in the country. Many areas could be considered the "hood". With that said, having lived near Overtown, and in North Miami, I still consider North Miami to be upper middle class compared to Overtown.