Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Would you move to Miami?

New User

Default Re: Would you move to Miami?

"...The issue is not whether you speak Spanish or not, the issue is whether you have a bad attitude or not. If you do not have a bad attitude, it is very simple to get around any language barrier."

Lol! That quote is so true and summarizes Miami so well!! Its the attitude!

Ondabeach
    Aka. French Canadian who loves Miami but admits some Should broaden their horizons a bit...by leaving!
    Last edited by Ondabeach; 07-04-2011 at 03:37 PM.

The Spanish issue is so over rated. It only works in unusual circumstaces.

I've listened to many focus groups and company's in-comming calls. When a caller asks for a Spanish soeaker in decent English, I have the urge to tell him to f-off.

Just try it next time you hit a McDonalds drive way. They'll push the Spaniish crap over the intercom, but if you force them on English, your order should be correct. These MF's know some English. It's our duty to make them work that arena.It's for thier own good.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 07-04-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Knowing Spanish is fun when you're driving about town with Carlos Miller. We played a little game on Calle Ocho, trying to numer the establisments that had " rinconcito " added to their DBA.

I think we allowed " esquinita" as a qualifier.

How many we get that day Miller ? Must have been 3 or 4.

If there is ever a Miami Trivial Pursuit, Miller and I have scoped that question out.

Let me add: If I was a Miamian, Carlos Miller would be my shot gun and I his.

I like the guy. If he was in LA he'd be a legend by now. It takes time in Miami to get noticed.
    Carlos Miller likes this.

Maybe the Spanish speakers should open THEIR minds and learn the language. It's not on us.
    Jess likes this.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

C'me on. I was in Spain last few days for business and I could get by

We did it 8 months ago. We do not speak spanish. We do not party. We LOVE IT!!!!

Personally. as iothers can attest, the need of knowing Spanish in Miami is over rated. It's a myth but helpful if you can speak it. Spanish is a beautiful romantic language i only engage in to convey that certain feeling among Hispanics

I've adapted a new policy when in Miami. It's great if you " e'spika epanish", if you want my business , it has to be conducted in English. If you can't order an Egg McMuffin in English, go somewhere else.

FORCE THE ISSUE PLEASE !
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I rarely use Spanish here unless I'm in someplace obvious like Little Havana. My rule of thumb is to use English first always, unless the person clearly isn't speaking the language. Even if they are struggling a little bit, I don't let on that I know Spanish.

force the issue? oh heck no! last time i went shopping downtown every cashier i encountered spoke very little english, the only way i got what i was looking for was because i could speak spanish. my apt. maintenance guy was argentinian and i got a lot further, a LOT faster, on the necessary repairs cause i could tell him exactly what was needed with his full comprehension, with no communication barrier -

the mixup mixup multi-culturalism is one of the things that most compelled me to want to move to the SoFl area in the first place, i adore the mix of all the different people and languages. And i love love love being able to speak more than one language. It gives me great pleasure to be able to do so in my everyday life - !
    Last edited by Catt; 07-08-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Catt- I get your point on diversity and expereincing muliti cultures. I grew up in a city way more diverse than Miami and learned a few things. One is a zillion hispanics know more English then they let on. It's about them trying remain in their comfy zone. It's a lazy manana attitude. Now that we reached a population of 16% hispanic, it's a large comfort zone for this group. It's only going to get larger as days go by.

Though our country has never established an official language, I always make it an effort to force people to speak English. I've never had a problem at a porto window on Calle Ocho.

Though I haven't noticed a Aztlan Movement in Miami, I've seen it ruin many city's out West.

Don't get me wrong. I love and speak Spanish but I struggle with the island variety I hear in FL. Kind of gutterish if you ask me.

Tommorow I'm headed to the Mana concert in Orlando. One of my favorite rock bands. I'm still going to force the issue and see how it goes. I have a feeling it won't go well.
    Catt likes this.

Hahaha. Yeah, UTS. I'm all for forcing English, but at a Mana concert? I mean, it's SPANISH music.

I adopt much the same idea, and actually have un-learned Spanish as a result. Like I was close to fluent maybe 10 years ago, but save for my appearance on Sabado Gigante, I refuse to use it to communicate with anyone. Don't make their life any easier because they won't learn the language.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Knowing Spanish is fun when you're driving about town with Carlos Miller. We played a little game on Calle Ocho, trying to numer the establisments that had " rinconcito " added to their DBA.

I think we allowed " esquinita" as a qualifier.

How many we get that day Miller ? Must have been 3 or 4.

If there is ever a Miami Trivial Pursuit, Miller and I have scoped that question out.

Let me add: If I was a Miamian, Carlos Miller would be my shot gun and I his.

I like the guy. If he was in LA he'd be a legend by now. It takes time in Miami to get noticed.
    It takes time in Miami because everybody is a legend in their own mind. Not much different than L.A. for that matter.

I was at my local Cuban joint the other day and I noticed what appeared to be an American waiter, something you never see in Cuban restaurants.

I was paying attention and he would go up to customers and speak in English, even if they looked Hispanic. He came up to me and spoke in English and I ordered in English, something I'm not accustomed to doing there.

And I kept paying attention and noticed people would speak to him in English, even if they were speaking Spanish at the table.

But I also notice him talking a little Spanish to some who didn't know a lot of English, so it became a halfway meeting point.

I was really fascinated with this guy because as I said, I've never seen an American non-Hispanic waiter at a Cuban joint, and I've been eating in those places for decades.

There was no question he was a good waiter. He was about 50, so he has probably decades of experience under his belt. And he was a very energetic, charismatic guy as well.

He works at Sergio's, which some of you know, is where I eat about three or four times a week and have coffee about six days a week.

So I was impressed they would even hire him, but Sergio's is the one Cuban restaurant that has made an effort to break the cultural and language barriers by putting phonetic translations of the food in their menus.

I've been dying to talk to him about all this because I might get an article out of it.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Thanks so much everyone for your imput! I can't tell you all how hugely helpful it has been!

Before I started this thread, I was leaning away from Miami.

I thought the langauge barrier would be more difficult than it actually is for my husband's sake mostly. Also, I didn't know how we'd adapt to cultural differences (Miami time?) with him in an industry that is already notoriously difficult.

At this point, if Miami comes up first, I think we'll take it!

Christy, while they have steak, it isn't a steakhouse. The price point is kind of similiar to Smith & Wollensky.

Whether or not we end up there, I'll make sure Miami411 & Company get invites!

Don't underestimate it. I mean, make your choice however you like, but the cultural and language barrier is a big reason why people don't last 2 years.

You can't force the issue and make someone speak English. Many people here do not speak a WORD of English. And it is a problem if these people are trying to communicate with you. For instance the guy who fixes your AC. Or the woman in publix who you ask where the soy milk is. Or the food runner who you ask for ketchup. This will happen, it does happen, so if you aren't with a Spanish speaking person ( luckily I usually am) then you're going to get frustrated.
    Catt likes this.

co-sign jess.... my priority is communication - i couldn't care less what language it's in.

I really don't have any opinion at all about whether they have a lazy manana attitude - that may indeed be accurate -- i just don't care. i'm not wasting my own energy getting irritated and making judgements, or tryna force others to do anything just cause *I* think it's the 'right way' ... Let them have their comfort zone, it don't bodda me none. How others choose to live their lives is not my business.

The only thing that matters to me is being able to communicate - if i'm the one who has the better language skills and motivation to accomplish that, well ok that's fine by me.
    Last edited by Catt; 07-11-2011 at 11:08 AM.

I don't get stressed ever about it, as I have my spanish speaking friends with me who take over.

I did have serious White Dade rage once though, on a bus where the guy spoke NO english and then told me in Spanish, "you live in Miami, you need to learn Spanish". The guy behind him translated and I was so mad

Had a uncle that emigrated to this country. He must have been high 30's at the time. He was one of this lazy guys that refused to learn English. What did that earn him ? A job at the Westin Palm Desert moving tables and setting up space for conventions and meetings.

These so-called comfort zones is what is turning our country to shits. Why do you think companies don't move to Miami ? You know the answer. Miami has probably the lowest pool of skilled workers in the country. Whose attracting all the tech jobs and other industries in the state. It's Tampa and Orlando,

Speaiking English to a Hispanic is not a radical idea. If I can prod someone to utter a few words for the day, I've done all I can. If that fails, I can hijueputear with the best of them.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post

I did have serious White Dade rage once though,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast