Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Would you move to Miami?

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Would you move to Miami?

I would love everyone's input with this.

My husband works in the corporate division of a very upscale but small restaurant chain. They currently have under 15 restaurants and each store does about 15 million annually which is huge in the business.

They are scouting Miami and he has first dibs on whether or not he wants this restaurant.

Neither of us speaks Spanish other than rudimentary vacation Spanish (May I have a beer? Where is the bathroom? Good Morning! etc).

I am somewhat put off by multiple claims of how hard Miami is to live in.

We currently live in a resort town on the ocean in the southeast so I am familiar with that.

Would you move to Miami or hold off for another South Florida city? Naples and Palm Beach are also on deck.

I've always loved the sultry vibrancy of Miami and its multi ethnicity but most of my experience has been in Miami Beach.

New User

Default Re: Would YOU move to Miami?

In my opinion.... everyone has an opinion... You will read reviews that say Miami is hard to live in, or it's dirty, or the beach is awful, and then you will read reviews from people that say how nice it was, and how friendly everyone is. I used to live in Chicago and I hated it there and I never want to go back... that's my experience... I know people who absolutely love Chicago. It's not for me.

I've chosen Miami Beach as a place to call my home out of everywhere in the entire US. I don't know why, it's just where I want to relocate and live. I've heard everything from how it's too expensive down there and I should move to somewhere like Fort Lauderdale, to how everyone is a criminal there. I've also heard from people that have lived there that I will have the time of my life and they are jealous that I'm going without them.

In the end it's up to you and what you want out of life. Life is what you make it, no matter what location it's in.

That being said.. I'm starting the Rosetta Stone Latin American Spanish package today hahaha

It all depends on what you want. I am one of the more positive members here, moved here in 2008 and absolutely love it. Yes, weird things happen here but that's the charm of Miami.

Naples is dead ass boring. Nothing to do there. West Palm is old. Both have arts, culture, shopping, restaurants etc, so if you are looking for a quiet beach life it would suffice. I personally couldn't live in either. I'd get too bored.

The real question is, where would you be living? You are drawn to the sultry vibrancy you say, but that is Miami Beach and the other parts are all very different. Whereabouts would the restaurant be and where would you both live?

As for the Spanish, I don't speak it and I get by. Your husband though will probably have Spanish speaking employees. So if he doesn't speak it, he needs a second in command who will.

Jess, he is going to start Rosetta Stone and he will have a second in command who speaks Spanish and his executive chef is fluent in Spanish.

We can live anywhere in Miami and will definitely rent first. His schedule is off peak travel so that also allows us to live anywhere. The restaurant will locate in one of the tonier shopping and dining areas, most of the others (Maui, Southern California) are waterfront. We do not know the exact location but I would guess either Bal Harbour, Mary Brickell Village, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove and possibly South Beach.

Well, Bal Harbor, Mary Brickell Village and Coral Gables are not on the water. But the Grove and SoBe kind of are... but if you can live anywhere and South Beach intrigues you, live in South Beach!

There is seldom a simple yes or no answer on whether or not a certain city is a good place to live. There is always a long list of pluses and minuses. On the plus side, Miami is an exciting, diverse city with vibrant colors, music and food. On the minus side, there is a lot of traffic, bad manners and superficial people. Its transience is both a blessing and a curse. On the plus side, people can be more real and direct, and on the minus side, it can make them less trustworthy.

Ultimately, Miami didn't work for Dave and me because of some very simple reasons: 1) We couldn't afford a place with a private patio area where he could go outside to smoke, 2) the doctors were really impersonal and a little shady, and 3) there is no medical marijuana program and Dave needs that for his condition. California is a better fit for us, although I do still love Miami. I think I liked South Beach more the way it was in the '90s, though. Today, it's gotten a little too Vegasy with all the focus on material possessions and bottle service. I liked it more as a hedonistic, Bohemian world village and it just doesn't feel like that anymore for me. But everyone's experience is different, and you can always change your mind later and move somewhere else. I don't regret having moved there, even though I later decided to live somewhere else.

If you're opening a fast food business in Miami, I would pay close attention to the neighborhood you choose because that can make all the difference in the world!
    FredTheCatTravels likes this.

<<<...."...a very upscale but small restaurant chain. They currently have under 15 restaurants....".....>>

I'm trying to think of a small, very upscale, waterfront chain, and all I can think of is "The Chart House" mini chain of restaurants. Is that the one? Are you allowed to say?

Glenn

Fred, is it still up in the air where the restaurant will be or is it definitely Miami-Dade? If so, I think you have answered the question ... if you are definitely opening a restaurant in Miami-Dade and need to live here part of the time, then you would never want to live in Naples or Palm Beach ... too far.

Jess, I agree that Naples and Palm Beach are more boring, however, they are upscale communities where an upscale restaurant might do much better than in Miami-Dade. So if the business is priority, those are actually really good options.

Some part of Coral Gables are on the water, but not sure if any of it could be zoned commercial.

Glenn, we already have a Charthouse is in Coconut Grove. It's waterfront next to the marina.

As for living here, I'm born and raised. I love it here but I move in the areas and circles that are right for me and have managed to carve out a life where all the negative BS about Miami doesn't get to me or just isn't part of my day to day life. I definitely enjoy the mainland now way more than Miami Beach, but that's just me.

Even though I speak Spanish perfectly, I can go days without hearing it or having to speak it. It all depends on your own Miami. I always say there are many Miamis.

I think over time you can do the same.

Your husband might have issues with the local work ethic and running a restaurant. But that can be different than your personal day to day life.

I would move to Miami for sure. Beaches and glam everywhere Miami always seems to be an amazing place. I think it is kind of awesome but I definitely would have fallen for the city's glam.

<<...."Some part of Coral Gables are on the water, but not sure if any of it could be zoned commercial."....>>

I also think Bal Harbor was mentioned as not being waterfront. Parts of Bal Harbor are waterfront...hence the "Harbor" part of the name. But, like Coral Gables, the waterfront part might not be zoned for a restaurant.

<<<......."Glenn, we already have a Charthouse is in Coconut Grove. It's waterfront next to the marina."".....>>

Thanks. I learn something new all the time here. Just never noticed the Charthouse down there.

Glenn

I'm sorry, but this Spanish nonsense is just a bunch of BS. I don't speak a lick of Spanish and I have never had any problems. Of course, I don't have a bad attitude about it, so when I run into someone who doesn't speak English, we just find other ways to communicate, rather than getting all upset.

And, just so ya know, I do not just stick to the "white" areas of town. Actually, anyone who knows me even a bit knows that I go all over. Little Havana, Little Haiti, I love those areas of town and go as often as I can. I have been in plenty of small, neighborhood restaurants that cater almost exclusively to non-English speakers and I have had no problem ordering what I wanted.

The issue is not whether you speak Spanish or not, the issue is whether you have a bad attitude or not. If you do not have a bad attitude, it is very simple to get around any language barrier.

Other than that, it really depends on what you are looking for. Jess summed it up best. Miami is pretty wild and crazy and can be a tough place. Of course, you can live in Brickell and not notice any of that. Naples is a much more quiet place.

Default Re: Would you move to Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    There is seldom a simple yes or no answer on whether or not a certain city is a good place to live. There is always a long list of pluses and minuses. On the plus side, Miami is an exciting, diverse city with vibrant colors, music and food. On the minus side, there is a lot of traffic, bad manners and superficial people. Its transience is both a blessing and a curse. On the plus side, people can be more real and direct, and on the minus side, it can make them less trustworthy.

Ultimately, Miami didn't work for Dave and me because of some very simple reasons: 1) We couldn't afford a place with a private patio area where he could go outside to smoke, 2) the doctors were really impersonal and a little shady, and 3) there is no medical marijuana program and Dave needs that for his condition. California is a better fit for us, although I do still love Miami. I think I liked South Beach more the way it was in the '90s, though. Today, it's gotten a little too Vegasy with all the focus on material possessions and bottle service. I liked it more as a hedonistic, Bohemian world village and it just doesn't feel like that anymore for me. But everyone's experience is different, and you can always change your mind later and move somewhere else. I don't regret having moved there, even though I later decided to live somewhere else.

If you're opening a fast food business in Miami, I would pay close attention to the neighborhood you choose because that can make all the difference in the world!
    Haha! No Doug, it isn't fast food. It is upscale dining but not fine dining.

Thanks for your input. Is all of Miami going hedonistic or just South Beach? I love Bohemian.

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    <<<...."...a very upscale but small restaurant chain. They currently have under 15 restaurants....".....>>

I'm trying to think of a small, very upscale, waterfront chain, and all I can think of is "The Chart House" mini chain of restaurants. Is that the one? Are you allowed to say?

Glenn
    No, it isn't the Chart House and I'm not allowed to say. However, for the opening I'll make sure everyone is invited whether we chose Miami or not.

The parent company is a multi national massive corporation and the restaurant division is sort of a vanity division. Think tropical Smith & Wollensky.

Thanks everyone for your imput.

Coach, as for speaking Spanish, it's more of a problem for my husband than for me. If you've ever worked in the restaurant business, you know it has enough challenges on its own without throwing in the langauge barrier and while he will have fluent people around him, it isn't the same.

Maria, insightful as usual. No, wouldn't dream of trying to commute from PB or Naples. They are also going to open restaurants in these cities (along with NYC and Hong Kong).

I'd really like to do this and I guess I'm waiting for someone to come along and tell me the sky isn't falling.

Thanks for your imput Dylan and Robert.

Miami is not perfect but what city is? However, Miami is one of the most exciting cities to live in.

It definitely helps if you're a Type A personality because the city can be kind of frantic but even if you're a Type B, you can kick back and enjoy the insanity.

But you definitely have to have an open mind here. You can't come here and expect Mayberry Manners. The city is not going to adjust to you. You're going to have to adjust to it.

And it's true that most people seem to be from somewhere else, so everybody is always bitching how much better it was back home, whether they do it in English or in Spanish.

But there is a growing population of natives here, most of them in their 20s and 30s who really take pride in this city and are striving to make it better every day.
    Last edited by Carlos Miller; 06-30-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Haha! No Doug, it isn't fast food. It is upscale dining but not fine dining.

Thanks for your input. Is all of Miami going hedonistic or just South Beach? I love Bohemian.
    South Beach has always been hedonistic and I love that part about it. I love the openness to sensuality that it has. I would say it has lost a little of that over the last several years. The beaches are more patrolled at night, and most of the gay crowd that used to contribute to its diversity has moved up to Ft. Lauderdale. There is less of a live-and-let-live attitude than there used to be and it feels a little more aggressive. Unfortunately, "Bohemian" only works when things are affordable. Otherwise, you have to become a workaholic just to pay the high rent/mortgage. Cities everywhere are losing their Bohemian qualities because the cost of living has become so insanely high. Small towns will likely become the new bastions of Bohemia.

My problem with South Beach is that it has just gotten too expensive, and the crowd is too materialistic. I think you can be hedonistic without being materialistic. But when you combine the two, it gets ugly, quick! If I were to move back to South Florida, I think I would look in South Miami or maybe Coral Gables.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    The parent company is a multi national massive corporation and the restaurant division is sort of a vanity division. Think tropical Smith & Wollensky.

Combining "tropical" and Smith & Wolensky, the next guess was going to be "The Palm" restauarant/steakhouse. But, after looking them up, I see they have over 30 locations, including Miami. In DC, The Palm is the fancy place where lobbyists meet Congressmen....of course resulting in much of the taxpayers' money being wasted or stolen.

Whatever it is, I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing about it, and hopefully making it to the grand opening.

Best wishes for a successful restaurant!

Glenn

Though I stay in Miami for a variety of reasons, mostly because I just know it so well, I would say PBC is a waaaaaay better place to live. It's kinda like all the good parts of Miami (great weather, great beaches) without all the bad parts (traffic, dirt, people speaking Spanish). Like if I'd moved to PBC first, I'd have never left and probably only come down here for the occasional South Beach night or whatever.

Honestly, especially if you're over about 28, I would strongly recommend doing Palm Beach County. I'm not sure why Jess said it was "old," because I've actually found a much more viable young professionals scene going out up there than I ever have in Miami. It's also a little better insofar as economic expansion, because the area from WPB up to Ft. Pierce is starting to attract a lot of tech firms. Traffic is also minimal, it has good nightlife and a surprising number of great restaurants. I also rarely meet anyone who lives up there who ever says they're "burned out" on PBC, or "gotta get out of this place."

I would narrow it down to Miami or West Palm Beach. Miami has a TON of steak places..but with all the Euro visitors and South American population I guess steak is always a hit.

How long would the stay be? If it's 1-3 years I'd go for Miami. It sounds like a glamorous restaurant and that Miami is a glamorous town. Your husband will have to speak Spanish, but you really won't need to.
    Last edited by Christy; 06-30-2011 at 09:45 PM.

We were on the threshold of primarily making the move. The idea was dangled like crystal and after examining how every facet shined, we decided against it.

Everyone has unique considerations when making such a move. Our's did not gel and frankly, I'm not wooed enough to spend more time there other than hanging at our condo and a few environs there a few days a month. If I could, I'd dump it but it's not going to hurt to hang on to it for awhile.

Having said that, we enjoy our Miami, but dig the idea our real home, for the time being is in CFL.

Good luck with the possible move and hope you and your husband make the right decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast