Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Might transfer to a college in Miami. Need tips on finding a job and a apartment.

I might transfer after my 5th semester at CCBC Essex in Maryland to a college in Miami.

This will actually be the first time I ever will leave home. I will be 20 also by the time I finish my 5th semester. I checked the GPA requirements for a lot of schools in Miami and my GPA is good enough.

I rather transfer to a community college for various reasons because it's cheaper.

Need advice please thank you very much.

I will be done 5th semester after Fall of 2012. So more then likely Spring of 2013 I will try to transfer.

Thanks !

To be honest always wanted to go to college in Florida for various reasons.

I wanted to be a wildlife biologist at some point and I thought Miami area would be great for that.

My second reason Miami community colleges are way cheaper then the ones in Maryland BIG TIME! Even the out of state tuition is cheaper then in state tuition community colleges for Maryland.

The third reason just like everyone else tired of cold weather!
    Last edited by Miamilover398; 07-08-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Hi Miamilover, welcome to the forums! Is there any particular reason you want to go to college in Miami?

New User

Default Re: Might transfer to a college in Miami. Need tips on finding a job and a apartment.

To be honest always wanted to go to college in Florida for various reasons.

I wanted to be a wildlife biologist at some point and I thought Miami area would be great for that.

My second reason Miami community colleges are way cheaper then the ones in Maryland BIG TIME! Even the out of state tuition is cheaper then in state tuition community colleges for Maryland

So both Miami-Dade College and Broward Community College would be your best bets. MDC is the largest "community" college in the country, actually. And considered one of the best.

It has a bunch of campuses, so your best bet would be to find an apartment closest to whichever campus you're choosing to go to. What specifically are you trying to find out?

Default Re: Might transfer to a college in Miami. Need tips on finding a job and a apartment.

I just wanted to know if it was a good school.

Also would I be okay I'm not a bad guy it's just moving from Maryland to Florida would be a big thing since I'm moving by myself.

I been to Florida about 4 times for vacation.

Im just worried about a job. I would love to get a job when I get there lol I will look but I been having trouble finding one. Also about the rent for the apartment. I really want to transfer down there so I will do whatever it takes!
    Last edited by aero398; 07-11-2011 at 03:28 AM.

The job market here is terrible. Still at an above-national-average 11-14% (depends who you talk to). And we've always got a ton of people coming here looking for work. Now, going to school here is a good idea if you wanna work here, since you can maintain contacts and get internships with local companies. That's the only way I made it down here.

There are a lot of service industry jobs, like bartending, waiting, bussing and the like. They are extremely competitive, though, and are based a lot on who you know. Especially bartending. So your job prospects are tough.

As far as rent, that depends wholly on what part of town you wanna live in and what kind of place you're looking for. A studio in a place like Little Havana, which can be ok, is probably about $600-700. A 1 BR is around $900. Go a little east to Brickell and you're looking at $1000 for a studio. $1200 for a 1 BR. But other parts of the city vary as well.

Would you recommend Little Havana to any one that's moving down there for college.

Is it safe and dude thanks.

Its relatively safe. Like I wouldn't go walking around there if I were a tiny girl by myself at 4 a.m. And you always gotta remember to lock your shit.

That said, it's a pretty safe area and relatively inexpensive. I'd recommend it for college, definitely. I mean, you're still looking at $900-$1000 a month for a decent 1 BR. But that's several hundred cheaper than you'd find a few blocks east in Brickell.

Hi Miamilover398!

Florida would be a great place to be for wildlife biology but are you sure that's something you can pursue at the community college level? MDC focuses mainly on two-year associate's degrees, though there are a number of bachelor degrees available: http://www.mdc.edu/main/bachelors/default.asp

By the time you're in your 5th semester, you should have enough credits to move on to a bachelor's degree.

MDC is one of the country's best colleges, but it doesn't focus on the biological sciences.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from moving here. I'm just wondering if MDC is the best choice for you based on what you want to do. FIU or UF might be other Florida options. UM is too, but that's a private and more expensive school.

New User

Thanks

New User

Well I'm majoring in Message Therapy right now I believe I need 65 credits for 2 year.

I want to get 30 credits then transfer to MDC is that a good option?

Does MDC offer a degree in that? You probably want to look into that first. But if it does, yeah, that should work.

Ditto what Matt said.

MDC offers a certificate program, not an Associate's Degree, in massage: http://www.mdc.edu/medical/AHT/massage/default.asp

If you do not already hold an A.A. or A.S. degree before you enter the program, you have to take a Test of Basic Adult Education.

It sounds like your current credits won't really apply to the massage certificate because that's not an Associate's Degree. In Miami, there are several massage therapy training programs and I've never heard of any being part of a degree. I would call the MDC school and consult with them (the number is listed in the link above).