Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Any news about the Pier in South Pointe?

Has anyone heard anything about that meeting regarding the pier?

Thanks!

rk

fred, sorry I have been traveling and did not see your message. I did not attend the meeting, but here is what I know from here and there:

In April the city approved hiring a consultant (Post, Buckley, Schuh & Jernigan) at a cost of $369,000 to design the pier and oversee construction. The design is supposed to be complete by the end of Aug. 2011, and as far as I know they are still planning a "telescope" design, i.e. about 12 feet wide at the west (park) end and 24 feet wide at the east (ocean) end. It will have the same approx footprint as the existing pier (475 feet long) which will be demolished. The surface will likely be concrete, with benches and shaded areas. The attached drawing below is from 2009 and may be close to the final design (which isn't done yet so may change). The final cost is supposed to be under $4 million (we hope). There was talk of having a connection from the east end of the pier to the jetty but I am not sure that will happen.

The figure below shows a likely configuration. Blue rectangles are shaded areas, and the red rectangles are benches. Hope this helps. If I learn anything new I'll post it here. (I can point you to a larger version of this drawing and some other drawings if you find this hard to read).

Name:  Pier-Proposal-small.JPG
Views: 1819
Size:  37.8 KB

Welcome back rk! (Our Miami weather expert amongst other things!)

rk

Thank you Jess.

To keep this on-topic a bit:

Today is one of those rare days when the high temps in International Falls (the icebox of the nation) and Miami (the sweatbox of the nation?) have been an identical 93 degs F. This is not unheard of, though I will have to check how often it does happen. In fact, at this moment MIA is at 82 degs while INL is at 90 degs. (However, the dewpoint in Miami is 74 degs F while in Intl Falls it's a very tolerable 62 degs).

It rained all afternoon on SoBe we are currently having a very pink sunset though. Bank of America clock is saying 84 degrees.

Default thanks!

Welcome back RK!

So more information will be forthcoming in August?

Is there any discussion regarding the fishing question?

BTW the dewpoints in my tropical paradise have been near the 80 range this week.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Where I live, temperature/dewpoint are right now (mid afternoon) 68/50. Aw. I will get hit by two tonnes of hot water when I get out of the life support cover this Monday (the 25th).

Dutchie

rk

Thanks fred. Good thing the super-yacht is equipped with central air.

If things go per schedule yes there should be a final design put forward at end of Aug. Aug 21 I think is the deadline. I am sure there will be some back and forth before it is approved and a contractor hired.

As far as I know fishing will be permitted. There was some thought of the pier having fish cleaning stations and even a bait shop with rental poles.

The length may be just a tad short, but you could dock your yacht there when you are in town for the season.

Default Re: Any news about the Pier in South Pointe?

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Thanks fred. Good thing my super-yacht is equipped with central air.

If things go per schedule yes there should be a final design put forward at end of Aug. Aug 21 I think is the deadline. I am sure there will be some back and forth before it is approved and a contractor hired.

As far as I know fishing will be permitted. There was some thought of the pier having fish cleaning stations and even a bait shop with rental poles.

The length may be just a tad short, but they are making special allowances so I can dock my yacht there when I am in town for the season, or for just a prolonged off season visit to my many sobe penthouses.

Thanks RK!

As always, its great to be you!

rk

There's going to be a meeting of the Design Review Board next Tuesday (Aug. 2) morning where they'll be taking up the South Pointe Pier topic. Here's an excerpt from the agenda:

DRB File No. 22857, 1 Washington Avenue –South Pointe Park Pier.
    The applicant, the City of Miami Beach, is requesting Design Review
    approval for the construction of a new pier located at the southeast
    corner of the park.
    The formal notice is at: http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=65448&libID=6 8426

rk

A quick update on the south pointe pier. It is moving forward, the design is pretty much as in the image I posted above. The colors and materials will be in sync with the current south pointe park. The cost has crept over $4 mil. Construction is planned to start in Sep 2012 and finish by the end of 2013.

Thumbs up RK Proves (once again) Proves He is "Da" Man!

Awesome RK!

Thanks for the update!

I think the pier will be an AWESOME addition and was wondering about the status of the project.

Hey, by the way, do you have any idea on the status of the (already approved--at least as I understand) paving of the beachwalk from south pointe dr. to 5th? I thought that should have started already---do u know of any information as far as that status is concerned????

Again THANKS RK!

rk

Thank you fred.

Re. the beachwalk, a slight delay, but it is much more firm now. The project will be done in two phases: First, South Pointe Drive to 3rd Street - construction start - Jan 2013. Second phase from 3rd to 5th St should start immediately after the first is finished, pending getting some easements from property owners along that stretch.

This document has the info plus details on the mid-beach section plus a great map:

http://tinyurl.com/7ztbp5b

It will be awesome to be able to walk all the way from Parisian to the new south pointe pier!