Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's it like to live in Brickell?

I meant more so that you will see bugs at some point living here, apartment or not. And Christy freaks out if she just even sees one. So, if you can't accept the fact that are more roaches than people living in Miami, then it really is not the place to move back to.

This is why I'm going to see a cognative behavioral therapist to get over my fear. Also, if I have none in my apartment and happen to see one on the street I have no problem with that. I never was a freak about bugs when I lived in my first apartment in Miami, because the apartment had no problems so the ones I saw outside never bothered me. But finding them in laundry, shower, dead on the floor, kitchen, yes that freaked me out!

Enough about the bugs though, I'm tired of talking about it and I'm sure everyone else is tired of hearing about it.

Default Re: What's it like to live in Brickell?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    UTS you've seen an iguana in your building??

Christy, there aren't any studios for under $1400 in Brickell? Wow, that's more expensive than the beach! You can find studios in high rises for $1200 or so in the nice buildings along West Ave. And the Yacht club studios are around $1400.
    I wish. To clarify: there is a bush at the NE base of the bridge teeming with Iguanas. They make their rounds and I have found them on property, but not inside.
    I've always been under the personal impression that rent generally was higher at Brickell vs. SoBe - or at least it should be. Maybe that is what I wanted to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    I've always been under the personal impression that rent generally was higher at Brickell vs. SoBe - or at least it should be. Maybe that is what I wanted to believe.
    Unfortunately I think you're right. I think because people aren't buying these days and renting, it's driving yup the rental prices. I'm just hoping the prices I see on Craigslist are negotiable (by a lot!).

New User

The last time I took a notcie in my buildings dungeon, a so called library with some stack of books on the lowest floor, I noticed a flyer for a studio @1300.

Take note my building is over 20 yrs old and currently going through renovations. We originally were at Four Ambassadors in a 1br across the bridge which is an older building. Pretty sure a unit there will bring it within your budget. Maybe Lucas can share his opinion on that.

My wife's office is based in Brickell and most agency employees live there. Some positions I know aren't paying more than $60G's a year. With your budget, I think you'll be able to swing it. Knocking Juan Pablo Montoya's door to borrow a cup of milk might not work, I think he's in Affinity. There plenty of ops.

I see this happening in your favor.

Christy, for f__k's sake...

I go out in Brickell all the time, typically looking for girls. More often than not I go home severely depressed because not only did I not pick up any girls, I didn't see ONE that I even WANTED to talk to. It's ALL Latin down there. ALL. I would venture to say I go out in Brickell more than any regular contributor to this forum, and if you're looking for White guys, you're shit out of luck. Sorry, Chris. But you will probably do the same as me at the end of every Brickell night and question if you want to really be living in Miami.

By the time I get home I realize, yes, I do. I'm just probably never going to meet the kind of girl I want. It's the sacrifices you make to live in Paradise.

You'll also find bugs. They haven't left and never will. Nothing that drove you from Miami before has changed now. So all the reasons you left, they're still there. If the grass is always gonna be greener for you, fine. Make your own mistakes. But just think about why you left before, and realize that that's all still gonna be here.

Thanks Matt, I was dying to hear your opinion. For the record, I have no problem dating guys from Latin America. Aside from Latin Americans there must be some Euros living there right? So are you the only white guy when you go out? Hmm, so not a single white girl. I had a feeling I would stick out. I'm working on my fear of bugs but who knows if it will work. Anyway, maybe I won't be moving to Brickell..to get a studio or one bed, the prices start at $1500. My number one reason to move there was because I thought you could get an amazing apartment, with nice amenities for around $1300- $1400 and I'm finding out that's not the case. I'm not giving up though!

rk

You might have been able to get a decent place under $1300 pm last year, but rents have been inching up, so it'll be tougher now. Still, I would suggest renting for the shortest time possible first to see how you like it. Not sure if you came across the Brickell Life blog yet: http://www.brickell-life.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Ok, about the bugs..I will be living in new construction-not a crumbly art deco building so I should not have any inside my apartment. I'm going to start seeing a Cognative Behavioral therapist in NY who treats all kinds of phobias. (flying, heights, etc). I hope it doesn't take too long and I hope it works..you really can't live in Miami and be terrified of bugs.

As far as the single guys/white population, it's a legitimate concern just because I don't want to feel out of place. Brickell has a high Latin American population and I'm just hoping it's at least 20%-30% white. It's not that I plan on only socializing with white people, it's more that I don't want to stick out and have people wonder "Who's that blonde girl? Why does she live here?" I think some guys from Latin America are totally gorgeous but I don't see that many dating white girls.
    Hi Christy,

No bugs on Brickell, you will see some Squirrerls in the morning. No Bugs.

Also,

Try looking into the AXIS Towers.

Lucas
    Realtor

I'm usually flanked by some other white guys, but yeah, we're generally the only group. I have not met many Europeans there, no. It's not like South Beach where you find both of them. No real reason for Euros to be in Brickell. But South American finance and whatnot is big in Brickell, so you find a lot of them there.

Seriously, though, you need to think about why you left here and why you're thinking of going back. There was a reason you found Miami intolerable, and it has not changed much since you left. Personally, I'd love to have you back. But you've burned out on this place, what, three times? Why do you think it'll be any different this go round?

Well, the reason I found Miami intolerable is because of the conditions I was living in. I was perfectly happy when I lived on 17th and James. Medrian and 3rd, no. 3rd and Euclid, no. I gave up looking for a new place because I just knew it would be a repeat of the same.

In Brickell my place would be super nice-the doorman would not allow any bugs up to my apartment! I liked South Beach, but sometimes I felt like it was over-run with tourists (which it's supposed to be), but in Brickell it's full time residents...so I think it would be ok this time around.

If the doorman doubles as the Orkin Man, Christy should be in Heaven.

Following Matt's lead; Brickell is only couple of stone skips from SoBe. Basically, same shit different flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    So the point is, the higher and newer you go, the less chance you'll have of bugs.
    I have to agree with Carlos, I have never seen a single bug or roach in my building

I have to guess - and as I recall from talking to you - you left because of more than just bugs. I mean, yeah, I know it was a BIG problem for you. But there's a lot more. Sit and think about it and then make your decision.

Out of interest Christy, do you plan on buying a car? Living in Brickell without one will really restrict your lifestyle and make it very expensive to go out and see your friends. I mean Brickell is nice and all but you're not going to want to spend all your time there, for instance what if you want to go to the beach?

Yeah, unfortunately I guess I need a car. I know a taxi to Sobe from Brickell is $28. I would have a garage parking space, so parking would be really easy. I just dread driving with the crazy, lawless Miami drivers. I mean Matt and Carlos admit going through red lights, and I know there are lots of drunk drivers on the road.. so that scares me.

If I lease a car for $250 per month, plus insurance which will be at least $150 I guess, then gas and maintenance, then parking in SoBe (I'm guaranteed to ticketed) it may actually be cheaper for me to take taxis. Also, if I'm coming into SoBe at night to meet friends most likely drinking will be involved and I have a strict rule of no more than one drink when I'm driving. And how fun is that?

But yes, it's something to think about.

Check out my progress on my apt hunt

Best Buildings In Brickell

As of now (and after consulting with Katalina), I'm narrowing my choices to:

Axis http://www.axisbrickell.com/

Lattitude on the River http://www.latitudemiami.com/

Infinity http://www.infinityatbrickell.com/

Vue http://www.kafka-franz.com/vue-at-brickell-condo- miami.htm#About%20the%20Vue%20condo%20in%20Brickel l

Axis sems really nice, Latitude I worry is too far away from the other buildings, Infinity looks beautiful but I'd have to do some serious negotiation, and View is really affordable.
    All take pets!

I may also ad 1060 Brickell, the Club, and the Plaza..I'm mapping everything out to make sure things are in a good location.

Yeah, a lot of logistics to think about, Christy. You're still going to need a car, even if you plan on taking taxis to the Beach. Brickell is convenient, but it's not self-contained like the beach. A lot of resources you're gonna need to drive for. I don't know anyone who lives there and doesn't drive.

If you don't have a car, I'd scrub the thought of moving to Brickell.

Matt, what do mean Brickell isn't self contained like Miami Beach? I will have friends with cars and since I'll have an empty parking space they can park at my building to go out in MB Village. My future apt will be 5-7 min walking distance to MB Village, and I know someone who lives in that area and uses her can only once per week. And I even know someone with 2 cars!! But sure I have nothing against getting a car. I should have brought my car from NJ but it was black and I figured that would bad for the Miami. I also had a freaky windsheild wiper problem, and that would also be bad with all the rain. I would probably get the same car but maybe in silver..something lighter.

But sure, limiting myself to MB village will get old very quickly. I've already grown tired of SoBe so that's why I think Brickell would be a nice change.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast