Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's it like to live in Brickell?

Christy, I am just now catching up with this thread.

Your friends will most likely park valet in your building and hopefully that will be reasonable.

I know two girls about your age who live in Brickell and they seem to love it. I know another girl who moved, but not because she didn't like it, she just had a travel opportunity.

I'm not looking for a boyfriend when I go out or in general, so I can't really advise you on that. I agree with Jess that you should just find your niche, be happy and let life take it from there.

But as far as going out in Brickell, I do enjoy it *most of the time* I go to a bar or restaurant in MBV and surrounding areas. However, in recent months I have really been turned off by how young everyone seems to be, like the other night, for example -- everyone at Tobacco Road looked/acted like they were 25. This is boring for me. I just can't relate to a young mob like that even though I have friends of all ages.

I don't know if that's an issue for you or not but that is my impression.

I have enjoyed drinks at Segafredo though, the bar at Perricone's etc ; if I go with people I know, it's cool. The problem is that I'm not sure that I would enjoy the crowds if I actually lived there. I go out by myself all the time and can make small talk with anyone just about anywhere but Brickell has been the only place in Miami that I've gone to recently where I literally got turned off and left.

I'm not sure I could relate to some of the groups of people I've seen in Brickell that are in a younger mindset. Nothing wrong with being younger ... you know what I mean.
    Christy likes this.

New User

Default Re: What's it like to live in Brickell?

hi Christy!

I have been living in Brickell for about 5 years...I live in Infinity now but I have also lived in Latitude on the River and Brickell on the River (North Tower) and I have spent LOTS of time in 500 Brickell, Neovertika and Fortune House (I usually won't date outside of Brickell).

ANYWAY...

I moved to Miami from the Upper East Side of New York City though I am born and raised in Alpine, NJ and I spent my late teens/ early 20's living in Europe.

That said, I wouldn't consider living anywhere else in Miami other than Brickell. I LOVE it here. Not only do I love the fact that this is the only place in Miami that actually looks like an urban city, I like the fact that here there is a small town vibe.

I don't consider myself nicer than the average person so it's not like I go out of my way to make friends, still, people here say "hello" an "good morning" to me when I walk by. The baristas and regulars at Starbucks MBV know me and love me as well as most of the regulars and wait staff in most of the restaurants around (I won't leave Brickell unless I have to). I think that people here are probably nicer than at the beach where I don't feel there is a sense of community like there is here.

Your question about the ratio of "Spanish/ Latin to white American" leads me to believe that perhaps a little exposure to different cultures might do you good....particularly because there are A LOT of REALLY white Latinos who also happen to be American. However, since an honest question requires an honest answer I'll tell you that though you would be in the ethnic minority, it's not like you are going to stick out. The type of Latino in Brickell is not the same kind as the one in Hialeah.

As far as the percentage of "single white guys" I'll tell you that there are tons here. I don't know if 20% but I don't have to go out of my way to find them and I have dated plenty of them. So though they exist and most are gainfully employed and have nice lives, they seem to like the cool Latinas around so be advised that just because they are there doesn't mean they feel that to have a girlfriend they need "white American girls".

I hope this answers your questions and even though I know this isn't the friendliest post ever, I hope it will make you re-examine how you think about race and will show you how close minded you come across in the way you ask your questions.

xo-
    annush
    Carlos Miller and Christy like this.

Hi Annush,

Thanks so much for your honest answers. I don't want everyone to think I'm completely obsessed with finding a boyfriend, it's just that I am at the age where I need to think about settling down in the next few years. My twenties are over.

I don't think I need to change the way I think about race. In most of the US if someone is from say Puerto Rico, they are considered Hispanic. They check that box on the census. I realize most people that would be considered Hispnic where I live, consider themselves white in Miami. Whatever. I really don't care one way or another..it just makes me asking questions more difficult. And what's the difference b/w Hialejah Latino and Brickell Latino?

I'm only asking my percentage question because I don't want to be the only blonde girl at a bar filled with people speaking Spanish and not including me in their conversations because 1. I don't speak Spanish 2. I'm not from Latin/Central America

I know everyone is really friendly, but I do like to fit in ...I think I can handle being 20% minority..but excellent point about the "white" guys there and their dating preferences!

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post

. And what's the difference b/w Hialejah Latino and Brickell Latino?

Brickell Latinos are mainly South Americans who came to the US as young adults to attend college, work in professional positions etc. (Yes I am about to stereotype now) the guys tend to be on the metrosexual side. In terms of socializaiton, while I do find many of these types to be materialistic, boastful, name droppers, I find they are more polite about their language habits. My South Amercian friends don't absolutely INSIST on speaking Spanish and are happy to keep the conversation in English if a non-Spanish speaker is in the group. (Just my experience). I know South Americans who feel offended if a waiter or something just assumes and starts talking to them in Spanish.

Hialeah hispanics are mostly Cubans and many of the young people were born and raised in Miami or came here when they were very young. I find this group to be a little more frustrating in terms of socialization because (from my experience and I' know their are exceptions) many INSIST on speaking Spanish (Spanglish), even though they were educated in English and speak it fluently as long as their is another Spanish speaking person in earshot, you can bet that there will be a switch to Spanish, and most likely it will be midsentence, and you as the non-Spanish speaker will just awkwardly laugh along. It happens to me ALL the time in school. I have spent time thinking about this and I think it stems from the fact that many Hialeah (and other areas in west miami) latinos have never even been to their family's country of origin, but they still want to feel connected in some way and separate themselves from the "gringos", (just speculating)

New User

The census will back me up in this (I researched this for a project last year). Most of the people in Brickell have a college degree and something like 60% of the people with college degrees have advanced degrees. This isn't the case in Hialeah.

While it may seem that the guys are on the metrosexual side (and I don't entirely disagree) you must remember that this is a cultural thing that comes from the Spanish influence. In Latin America both men and women in the upper middle class are extremely well put together and you will see that here here there is a huge number of Argenitinians/ Venezuelans/ Colombians with money who are here due to the political issues in their home countries. More than metrosexual I'd say people take pride in their appearance.

As for the language thing, the only place where I have had issues is at Baru Urbano. Granted, I can speak Spanish fluently (and French and German) still, I find it rude for people to assume that this is my language of choice (my first language is English). I also find it rude that they do discriminate against "white" people. I have seen it happen and once had a nasty argument with a hostess over something she said to my "white" boyfriend.

Oh and in regards to the white guys and their dating preferences, I am not one of them so I can't speak for them, still, what I have noticed in my amost 32 years of life/ 17 years of dating and this would be true here in NYC, in Europe and probably in Mars, is that cool, attractive, well-educated and open minded women get all the guys. This is true regardless of race. All the women I know here in Brickell (white or otherwise) are women who care about their appearance and are also well educated and successful thereby projecting the confidence most men find attractive. That said, smart men tend to look beyond the ethnic background.
    Christy, PINKNIGHTS and Catt like this.

Question Has This Been Brought up Before??

If you live there, won't you need a car???

It's likely you unit will also have an assigned parking space but that is not a guarantee. In my building, I'm aware of a few tenants that don't have assigned parking. On the open market, these go for $80 a month. We have two spots and rent one out. If we coincide with being there with two cars, which does happen often, we have priviledges at the Courvoisier due to work relations.

My building has in/out valet for $5 a day and many residents are forced to use it.

Preferred Member

Check out my progress on my apt hunt

Best Buildings In Brickell

As of now (and after consulting with Katalina), I'm narrowing my choices to:

Axis http://www.axisbrickell.com/

Lattitude on the River http://www.latitudemiami.com/

Infinity http://www.infinityatbrickell.com/

Vue http://www.kafka-franz.com/vue-at-brickell-condo- miami.htm#About%20the%20Vue%20condo%20in%20Brickel l

I may also ad 1060 Brickell, the Club, and the Plaza..I'm mapping everything out to make sure things are in a good location.
    What are the typical rents for studios, 1/1s and 2/2s in these buildings?

Are these "best buildings" in Brickell cos of their view of the sea, proximity to amenities, the amenities these buildlings have, or...?

I have half an eye on the Brickell area for next year. Thus, I would love to hear about your experience, your analysis of the buildings in that area and decision-making process in securing a rental unit there. Thanks for keeping the topic alive!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    It's likely you unit will also have an assigned parking space but that is not a guarantee. In my building, I'm aware of a few tenants that don't have assigned parking. On the open market, these go for $80 a month. We have two spots and rent one out. If we coincide with being there with two cars, which does happen often, we have priviledges at the Courvoisier due to work relations.

My building has in/out valet for $5 a day and many residents are forced to use it.
    I live in Infinity and we do not have assigned parking and valet for guests is free. This may change in the future but for now, this is how it is. In Latitude I had to pay $120 per month to park. It was valet. Self-park was a little more expensive. In Brickell on the River I had one assigned parking spot but for guests the valet was a nightmare because they didn't build enough spots for the amount of people living in both towers so the lot is always full and if you managed to get a spot it's expensive. In NEoVertika you get 1 parking spot and then valet and the valet is hourly and expensive.

Hi annush,

Thanks so much for coming onto the forums..you're giving me all the info that I've been looking for. We should definitely get together if I decide to move there!

Wow, so in addition to the high rents at the moment, some buildings are charging additional for parking..good to know.

Annush, when You lived at Latitude on the River, how did you like the location and the building? Are there a few buildings that have a cooler, friendly crowd of people living there? Like a more fun pool scene for example..

I think Axis is my first choice for location, the newness of the building, and the prices..any thoughts on that building?

Perri,
    The rents in Brickell are for the most part higher than South Beach (unfortunately the went up in the past 2 years)..If you fit the description that Annush gave of the majority of the residents you may like it better than SoBe. Out of the buildings I'm looking at online, Vue and The Club seem to have the lowest prices..maybe $1300 for a studio/one bed. Both are in a great location..Latitude seems to be pretty affordable as well. If I move I will certainly keep you updated on life in Brickell!

I came across this site: http://www.brickellinfo.com/ which has all the fun activities/restaurant openings/happy hours, etc.

And to everyone else who has replied to my questions, thank you!!

New User

Christy,

I would love to get together and I will even introduce you to my 2 favorite Brickellian blondes

As far as the rents, I don't think the rents here are THAT high because you are paying not only for location but for ammenities. Most of the buildings I've talked about have gyms, great pools, and conference rooms and lounges that are a blessing if you work from home. You also won't have to pay for phone/cable/internet because it comes included (Not in NeoVertika).

Of all the buildings I lived in I liked Latitude the least. Parking is a nightmare and the tenants remind me of my old college dorm. There are keg parties in the pool area and its always crowded. I was 30 when I lived there (it was early last year) and I felt old. I couldn't stay past 6 months.

My neighbors at Infinity are really nice. My most favorite white girl (hahaha) lives 10 floors below me and we hang out with some neighbors who are great and also within our age range. I was also friendly with some neighbors at BOR though when the South tower opened I was so aggravated I just hated everyone. It got too crowded for my taste.

As for Axis, I have friends who live there and I personally think it sucks for the following reasons:

1. small elevators and only 2 of them.
    2. valet is crazy expensive and you must think of your guests.
    3. a girl was raped there. some guy somehow got into the elevator and followed her to her apartment. It was a very big deal. I live alone so for me safety is paramount.

As for Vue and The Club...

Vue: I almost moved there after Latitude because of affordability and out of desperation BUT the appliances are not as new and the look and feel is not as modern. That made a difference because I like my stuff perfect. Also, at one point half of that building was in foreclosure which resulted in an unkempt place. Again, not cool. Location wise it is gold though.

The Club: My good friend owns a place there and I looked when I was moving but I didn't like it much though I know he does. It's in a prime location and the apartments are spacious though. The views in some apartments are kind of weird though...I saw an apartment where you could literally see into someone else's apartment (the bldg next door and that bldg was questionable cause people had clothes hanging in the window sill :/ )

Brickell info is a great site...it belongs to a friend. I have actually reviewed some restaurants for the site. You may also wanna check out BrickellConfidential.tumblr.com which belongs to Sarah and I and we post interesting Brickell things (we are the ultimate Brickell lovers).
    rk likes this.

Hey Annush,

Welcome to the forums and that's awesome advice you're giving.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    Hey Annush,

Welcome to the forums and that's awesome advice you're giving.
    hahaha...thanks Carlos

Maria invited me and it looked like someone had to truly represent my hood

New User

Default Re: Has This Been Brought up Before??

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    If you live there, won't you need a car???
    If you work in Brickell, live in Brickell, and hang out downtown the metromover would suffice...and it's free!!!

thanks Annush..

You really think the same way I do. I would not want to be in a building with laundry swinging in the breeze in the next building nor would I want the frat scene of Latitude. Well I guess the Vue is cheap because of the foreclosure issue-so that would be out since I like a well maintained building, which isn't possible if people can't pay their monthly maintenance fees.

I think I could get over the issues at the Axis..if I don't have a car my friends visiting could use my garage space (if that's included), and I'm sure after the horrible incident the building has amped up security.

I would love to live in Infinity but the prices are pretty expensive..the one beds there are $1700..

New User

ones beds are 1700 in axis as well, you may be able to land one for 1600, but thats not a for sure thing.

rk

Christy, the following link has rankings of the larger buildings in Brickell/Downtown/midtown based on various criteria:

http://www.miamicondoinvestments.com/miamicondorankings

These things are always subjective, but if you browse that site there is a lot of valuable information in the blog archives and discussions. On this page:

http://www.miamicondoinvestments.com/condos/brickell/

you will find a list of available rentals, and almost as important, the recent rentals, showing what the list price was, and what they actually rented for.

Thanks rk!

It's easy to imagine how many times you'd be looking for your car in an unassigned system. We had that system at our first Brickell location. It sucks !

New User

Well I guess the Vue is cheap because of the foreclosure issue-so that would be out since I like a well maintained building, which isn't possible if people can't pay their monthly maintenance fees.
    I think you misunderstood me...Vue had a foreclosure issue but that was resolved. Some investors went in there and bought in bulk and so everything is pretty well maintained. Actually, I think it's quite nice now and the security is good.

I think that regardless of cost, at Vue you'd probably get a better deal because the apartments are bigger than the ones at Infinity and Axis. I love my apartment at Infinity but I'm the first to say that it is tiny. Two people can't live comfortably in my floor plan. The units I have seen at Vue are substantially bigger and I will tell you that if I had to pay $1700 for my unit (which I don't) I wouldn't live here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast