Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's it like to live in Brickell?

Great! Vue is back on my list. I know, I see the Infinity advertised for $1700, but who knows what they actually end up renting for.

New User

Hello Christy/All,

New to the forum and slightly new to Miami. I moved here from Columbus, OH a little over 2 months ago and I went through the same apartment search/questions you're going through. Have you looked at any buildings/units in person? I checked out all the pictures I could find online but seeing them in person made the biggest difference. Based on pictures Infinity was my favorite. I ended up moving into Wind, which isn't technically Brickell but it's right on the river and just a short walk to Brickell. It's a pretty new building (2008 I think) in it's own enclave with two other buildings (Mint and Ivy). You have to pass through security gates to even get into the enclave so it's pretty secure. It has great amenities as well, is clean, and the building staff are really friendly.

Culturally, I agree with most of the other posts as they are pretty much spot on. Although I am white and I am a guy, so maybe the percentage is now 20.1%. You've mentioned you don't want to "stick out". I see where you are coming from, but I personally see this as a good thing. It's kind of a unique opportunity to be in the minority.

That's it for now. Best of luck.

Hi Annush! I am so glad I invited you to the forums! Thanks so much for your valuable input!

Chubes, thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forums!

Christy, I met someone yesterday who lives in Latitude. She brought there and said she she likes it. One thing she did point out though is that she has to factor in an extra fifteen minutes to her work commute because it takes that long to get down from the higher floors during rush hour. And in general, there is a lot of waiting for the elevator, especially if one or more break down. Just something to keep in mind. I am spoiled by living in a townhouse situation for so many years now ... I think that would drive me nuts.

Thank God for service elevators.

Since I'm not rushing anywhere, I hardly encounter that as an issue. If I happen to notice all elevators are in the lobby, why not jump in the service elevator ?

Because it takes a few minutes to actually get outside, I wish I would have got a home in Miami instead. Condo life is a pain when you gotta walk your dog three times a day,
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 07-28-2011 at 05:20 PM.

I hadn't thought about the elevators making you late for work. I guess in a high rise building, if there isn't many that can happen.

Yes, when I lived in a highrise in New Jersey back in 1997-98, that was a big hassle for me. I was on the 10th floor, and invariably would leave at the last possible minute to go to work. And as I'd ride down, hoping that the elevator wouldn't stop on every floor, there would always be a bunch of stops. People would even get on on the second and third floor, just to go to the first. I was like, take the stairs! I was very relieved to escape my highrise life.

Wonder what Ginger thinks about crowded elevators ?

The last time I lived in a high rise was in South Beach. We had two elevators for a 14 story building but one was often broken. I don't miss that.

I'm glad this topic of Brickell came up. I ha e been thinking off moving off the beach and the only place I would consider is Brickell.

Lots of good info here. Thanks all.

Wow Maria, 15 minutes in an elevator??? That seems not only impossible but a huge pain if it's true. I cannot imagine just standing in an elevator for 15 minutes. I do take the dog out a lot...I guess a low floor is better..So if you go in and out of the building 3 times per day (which I do at least), that's an hour and a half of your day in an elevator??

You probably wouldn't be in the elevator 15 minutes every time. Just during elevator "rush hours". Getting down in the mornings and getting up in the evenings would take longer.

The elevator thing is probably hyperbole. My Miami building has ~ 17 floors. With the exception of a full elevator inluding a bellman cart, there's always room.

Now - If you want to avoid any chance of a full elevator, Asia has private elevators to your floor.

I live on the 11th floor and there are three elevators, but one is a service elevator, meaning it does not work most of the time unless you are moving in or out.

The elevators are generally efficient, but every so often, it takes forever. It can get really frustrating.

My car is on the third floor, so there have been times when I've gone down to my car, then realized I've forgotten something, like my phone or cameras, then I have to go back up.

It's a little frustrating, but not really. It only takes a few extra minutes.

One thing I love about living in a high-rise is the security.

Not only do I have a lot of cameras and lenses that I would hate to lose in a burglary, I have the occasional nut case who hates me because of my blog.

Miller reminded me of an important fact. If you're on the good side of your building's personal, they'll take good care of you.

rtoledo, you want to leave SoBe already?? If you are still at your job at NWS that is quite an annoying commute you'd have. I personally would not like to live in brickell as I love riding my bike around SoBe and I love the beach. plus I hate driving in miami and I hate sitting in traffice on 395.

Here are a few things that I think will be nice about living in Brickell:

1. Gorgeous, new construction condos (similar in quality to the really $$$ buildings in SoFi) for somewhat reasonable prices.

2. It's walkable-bars, Mary Brickell Village, grocery stores, restaurants, fancy hotel bars, etc

3. No tourists! This is huge because while it's great to make friends with people, it sucks when they're flying home the next day. I think it will be great to go out and night and just meet locals. You can actually plan to do something the following day!

4. The people- I like that it's mostly young professionals. I was worried I'd have trouble belonging and making friends since most people are from Central/Latin America but I talked to Mario yesterday and he said not to worry, they'd be happy to hang out with me and I get the idea that most of them speak English since they went to college in Miami.

We'll see. I'm going to come down and look at places and I'll get a better sense of the neighborhood. Crashing at your Mom's house does wonders to speed up the apartment search! But realistically I'm thinking about a Sept 15 move in date..

Yeah..and I'm still waiting for my security and July rent back from my landlord in NJ otherwise I can't move anywhere!
    Last edited by Christy; 08-01-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Skip,. that whole "being in the minority" thing is cute for like a year or so. After a while it starts to grate on you. Just trust me on this one.

Christy. I'm not sure what Mario is talking about. I've found people out in Brickell to actually be snobbier that Beach people. Very wealthy South Americans are not particularly friendly to people who arent in their social circle. Just my experiences going out there as a White person. If you're looking for white young professionals, Miami is not the place.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234