Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's it like to live in Brickell?

Default What's it like to live in Brickell?

I'm thinking (just thinking) of moving to Brickell. The high rise buildings there seem amazing-they're all new/newer, have tons of amenities and it's a lot more than you can get for your money in NJ. I spend a lot of time at home, so I'd like to have an apartment I really love, but can still afford.

I plan on visiting Brickell and staying at a hotel there to get a better feel of the area. I really haven't spent much time there, just at night at the restaurants and bars.

So I guess my questions are:

1. What do you think is the ratio of Spanish/Latin to white American? I know I'll be in the minority but just wondering about the percentage.

2. Do you think there are single, white guys there? Like at least 20% of the male population? I'd like to have a boyfriend at some point.

3. Are people there as friendly as in SoBe?

4. A lot of you know me..do you think I'd like living there?

If I move you're all invited to my rooftop pool!

If i lived and worked here full time i would live in Brickell. I loved living in the Midtown buildings and can only imagine Brickell would be even better and a bit more "happening"

Plus all the buildings are pretty new, have parking and for the most part are priced pretty cheap right now when you compare what that same amount of money will buy/rent you on the beach.

New User

Name:  DSCN1895.jpg
Views: 6327
Size:  238.1 KB

Chunche opines Ginger will love it here. Bring her on down !

I'll advise anyone moving to the area to shoot for the Key. A total disconnect. General Brickell is a choice I personally wouldn't make.

1. What do you think is the ratio of Spanish/Latin to white American? I know I'll be in the minority but just wondering about the percentage.

What makes this question a little difficult is many hispanics are white.

2. Do you think there are single, white guys there? Like at least 20% of the male population? I'd like to have a boyfriend at some point.

You're 20% is as close as any I might guess. That is about what you'll notice at the pool. If you walk about, you might notice a higher percentage. The guest at the Mandarin Oriental do like to walk the island.

3. Are people there as friendly as in SoBe?

I don't have the experience to compare. In general it's way under-par than what I'm used to. As an attractive woman I'm sure your experience might be different. I'd say there are generally people doing well for themselves in Brickell. One Universal Law I've observed is a hispanic with money is a bigger asshole than a white with money. Doesn't matter if you're in Mexico City or the parking lot at Versallies. Cultural differences baby ! I suppose the liitle Andalucian blood I have makes it ok for me to say that.

4. A lot of you know me..do you think I'd like living there?

As you'll have more options to expore Miami from Brickell, your need for a car will be greater here than SoBe. You can get by with the convenience store in your building till you need to visit a real grocery store. Your SoBe is only 15 minutes away, but so is Key Biscayne, the Grove and Gables.

I think you'll dig Mary Brickell and how it's developing. It doesn't have the shabbiness you'll find on parts of Lincoln Road. Probably better eats as well. It can only get better.

As this is Christy's topic, how did my post jump on top ? It also displays my old user name with a join date a week six days from today.
    Last edited by Under the Sun; 07-14-2011 at 01:31 AM.

I live on Brickell and I love it. I have been there since 2005 and the area is great. I live on a building that was built in 2005 and has everything I want. pool area, full gym, party room, valet, close to everything.

If you want to know the ethnic composition of an area I suggest:

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=thab1

you can zoom in to any neighborhood and find out how is made up.

Brickell has many things on its favor. Restaurants, bars, the beach, whatever. and dont worry about the boyfriend issue, I am sure you will find someone you like either jogging, at the supermarket, restaurnat, club, pool.

there are many great building to choose from with full amenities like: The Jade, The 4 seasons, Espiritu Santo, Santa Maria, Skyline on Brickell, The Plaza, and many more that I personally like.

Come down, you will like it.

Lucas
    Realtor

Default Re: What's it like to live in Brickell?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6311
Size:  87.1 KB
    Roof Top pic from where I live.

That's a cool link Lucas. Thanks !

According to the data collected, Brickell is going to range between 57-63% hispanic. As I stated in my previous post, my eye-ball test would place it higher.

Damn Argentines skewing the #'s again.

Thanks everyone!

Lucas, which buildings that you mentioned are within walking distance to the Publix/Starbucks/Mary Brickell Village area and which are new construction? I'm leaning towards Infinity. I've lived in Miami before but in South Beach..kind of embarrassing that i don't know this but let's say living in Brickell I want to go to the beach (the ocean), where would be the closest place to go?

It sure as hell beats Jersey.
    GandJ and Matt Meltzer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Lucas, which buildings that you mentioned are within walking distance to the Publix/Starbucks/Mary Brickell Village area and which are new construction? I'm leaning towards Infinity. I've lived in Miami before but in South Beach..kind of embarrassing that i don't know this but let's say living in Brickell I want to go to the beach (the ocean), where would be the closest place to go?

HI,

Infinity is literally 1 block away from publix and just a short walk from Starubucks and Mary Brickell Village. Other new/newer building very close are: Axis, 1060 Brickell, The Plaza, The club, The Mark, Vue at Brickell. Some higher end buildings like the 4 seasons, espiritu santo are also close.

There are some others that are still within walking distance that are 5 blocks farther, let me know if you want the names.

The closest beach to Brickell is the beach at Key Biscayne. It is located on either side right after the Rickenbacker causeway. It was just completely redone. Also you have north and south beach on Key Biscayne.

Lucas
    Realtor

Christy,

I'm so glad you are considering Brickell!!. Will be awesome to have you as my neighbor. I've been living here for 3 years and I can not say enough good things about it. Love the neighborhood, easy access to everything, newer buildings and much more. Infinity is a great option, publix is literally next door and so are all the restaurants and bars.

Judging from everything I've read, I would say you're more of a Brickell kind of girl than a Sobe one, Christy! Give it a whirl!

Oh I'm so excited..it seems like it might work for me! I just really want to be in a nice building with a pool, doorman, etc and Brickell is pretty lively, but without all the tourists and touristy areas. So I think it will feel more like real life where SoBe didn't have that permanent, residential feel. It will also feel more like home because I'll furnish the place myself.

Lucas and Katalina,

If I get priced out of the Infinity (right now I'm hearing $1400 for a studio and $1550 for a one bed-including cable and internet) what would be your next three choices? The thing I love about Infinity is the location since I like to be able to walk everywhere.

Voice of reason stepping in here. I have rights as the old roommie...

Don't base the decision on single guy ratio or bugs. This is FLORIDA. We have bugs. Jersey has bugs too. If you are considering Miami again, assume you are going to see a roach at some point in your life. And me, Meltz and my Matt are not around the corner to kill it if you're in Brickell. (Katalina, you're up!)

Secondly, as for single guys, they are everywhere. But if you don't find one straight away, that should not influence where you live. Be happy with yourself and your apartment first. If you're happy alone, the guy usually follows after that...

Ok, about the bugs..I will be living in new construction-not a crumbly art deco building so I should not have any inside my apartment. I'm going to start seeing a Cognative Behavioral therapist in NY who treats all kinds of phobias. (flying, heights, etc). I hope it doesn't take too long and I hope it works..you really can't live in Miami and be terrified of bugs.

As far as the single guys/white population, it's a legitimate concern just because I don't want to feel out of place. Brickell has a high Latin American population and I'm just hoping it's at least 20%-30% white. It's not that I plan on only socializing with white people, it's more that I don't want to stick out and have people wonder "Who's that blonde girl? Why does she live here?" I think some guys from Latin America are totally gorgeous but I don't see that many dating white girls.

The truth of the matter is you won't stick out. Don't mean that in the wrong way.
    It's the financial beach head of Latin America's best families.

You'll stick out in East LA but not in Brickell. Hispanic or similar doesn't necessarily mean non-white. There are tons of Brazilian chicks that look like Cheryl Ladd.

I've owned in the area for more than 10 years. I haven't logged in the hours as Katalina or Lucas have, but I think you can comfortably call it home.

I still belive and know Brickell Key is the best option in the area. The others I'm sure will concur.

p.s. I've seen iguanas but never a roach in my building.

Thanks! That makes me feel better. It looks my biggest problem now is finding an apartment that's available and in my price range (up to $1400 for a studio/small one bed). I'm pretty excited! It will be nice to be in Miami but a refreshing change from South Beach.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Ok, about the bugs..I will be living in new construction-not a crumbly art deco building so I should not have any inside my apartment. I'm going to start seeing a Cognative Behavioral therapist in NY who treats all kinds of phobias. (flying, heights, etc). I hope it doesn't take too long and I hope it works..you really can't live in Miami and be terrified of bugs.

Christy, not trying to freak you out (and kudos on your therapist) but you will absolutely find palmetto bugs in new construction. It has nothing to do with the cleanliness or age of your home but the location.

All it takes is one neighbor that brings one or two in with dirty laundry or in a gym bag or hiding in the bottom of a grocery bag.

Good luck with this!

Try hypnotism.....or rent "A Bug's Life"!

UTS you've seen an iguana in your building??

Christy, there aren't any studios for under $1400 in Brickell? Wow, that's more expensive than the beach! You can find studios in high rises for $1200 or so in the nice buildings along West Ave. And the Yacht club studios are around $1400.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Voice of reason stepping in here. I have rights as the old roommie...

Don't base the decision on single guy ratio or bugs. This is FLORIDA. We have bugs. Jersey has bugs too. If you are considering Miami again, assume you are going to see a roach at some point in your life. And me, Meltz and my Matt are not around the corner to kill it if you're in Brickell. (Katalina, you're up!)

Secondly, as for single guys, they are everywhere. But if you don't find one straight away, that should not influence where you live. Be happy with yourself and your apartment first. If you're happy alone, the guy usually follows after that...
    I live on the 11th floor of a new building, built in 2007, and I can be a slob and leave shit out at times, but I have not seen a single roach in the four years I've lived here.

During the summer, I find silverfish bugs, which can be annoying, but that goes away once I turned the AC down a few notches.

On the other hand, I grew up in a post-World War II house which my mom always kept clean and there was rarely any dirty dishes in the sink, and there was always roaches scattering about when you walk into the kitchen in the middle of the night.

And this despite the fact we had roach traps all over the kitchen.

So the point is, the higher and newer you go, the less chance you'll have of bugs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast