Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Catt, no worries!

Perri, good to know. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have special needs. I'm not sure what word I would have used either ... I guess you will have four "legs" to this trip! The journey will definitely be Miami public transport total immersion for you ... I hope you'll let us know how that goes.

Preferred Member

Default Re: Is a humidifier needed in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Perri, good to know. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have special needs. I'm not sure what word I would have used either ... I guess you will have four "legs" to this trip! The journey will definitely be Miami public transport total immersion for you ... I hope you'll let us know how that goes.
    Yes, it will be my reintegration back into public transport. How's the weather over there in mid August? I will either be drenched in perspiration or in rainwater? probably both?

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Yup, full SCUBA gear required to breath outside environments with integrated life support.

Dutchie
    who will hop on the plane tomorrow and be sweating it out by Monday evening

Perri, it will be very hot and muggy. Hope for overcast skies but not rain! Drinks lots of water for hydration and wear loose, breathable fabrics.

Preferred Member

Perri, it will be very hot and muggy. Hope for overcast skies but not rain! Drinks lots of water for hydration and wear loose, breathable fabrics.
    Thanks for the heads-up, Maria.

Dutchie - Have a safe trip to Miami!

I'm in.

Can somebody turn that hot shower off? It's warmer than when I take a shower at home, and as wet!

Dutchie

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I'm in.

Can somebody turn that hot shower off? It's warmer than when I take a shower at home, and as wet!

Dutchie
    Glad that you made it to MIA without a hitch.
    I give thanks to the inventor of A/C everyday during the summer.

btw, where did u decide to live?

Wow, and it's not even that hot yet. I mean the evenings are still cool. I think this summer has been cooler than last year so far.

Welcome to Miami.

Currently I simply accepted where my employer has temporarily put me (for three weeks), the Shamrock Kendall condominium complex. Nothing at all to complain about, if you have a car obviously (I do). However since I am here for work, not for beaching, my requirements are probably a lot less than most others. I am not going to relocate to Miami for the beach . . .

Dutchie

Preferred Member

Currently I simply accepted where my employer has temporarily put me (for three weeks), the Shamrock Kendall condominium complex. Nothing at all to complain about, if you have a car obviously (I do). However since I am here for work, not for beaching, my requirements are probably a lot less than most others. I am not going to relocate to Miami for the beach . . .

Dutchie
    It's good that you have temp housing for a few weeks. This gives you the opportunity to scout the areas that you are interested in living and see how viable the commute is to work and how suitable the area is when your family joins you.

Absolutely, kudos to my employer for organising this for me.

Hey, where's that horrendous traffic that people complain about? I encounter just exemplary drivers! Waaaaaaay more relaxed than anything in Europe so far. Or is Kendall/Perrine totally different from the regular (downtown?) Miami style?

Dutchie

Welcome to Miami, Dutchie!

Hope you will have a chance to explore outside of Kendall.

You have really lucked out on traffic ... do you use any of the expressways?

It's good to hear a new perspective on traffic though.

What I have been doing over the last days is to drive from where I 'live' (the Crossings) via one of the places where I may find permanent housing in a few months. Like, Country Walk. So I take a rather large detour, hit a couple of random spots in Country Walk, and then drive on as a commuter, during rush hour, to Perrine where work is located.

Although there definitely is traffic, it is below what I am used to, and absolutely tolerable. Only when I want to join a major road with traffic lights, the wait can be quite long (longer than a typical cycle in Europe). Once on the major road, just go with the flow.

A nice indicator is that my (TomTom) navigator consistently predicts longer travel times than what I actually need. This usually means that the traffic margin is set higher than needed (this is no smart TomTom with live traffic updates).

I did not use toll roads at all just yet, but coincidentally planned to take that option right now, commuting back 'home' to visit a Publix for groceries. Let's see.

I'm pretty much wowed by what I encounter in terms of houses, by the way. I wonder whether it would be affordable!

Dutchie

Taking back roads is always a good idea.

Do you have family that's going to meet up with you? Are you thinking about schools?

You should also check out Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay if you are working in Perrine.

Yes, my family will join me here somewhere in January; I will move here permanently around October 1st.

(Primary) schools are certainly on my mind.

I have been looking roughly at Country Walk, Cutler Bay and Ridge, Palmetto Bay, and even Pinecrest. It will all depend on affordability, in this case rental, because without credit rating (not bad credit, just no rating yet ) I don't think I can get any form of mortgage. Even renting may be a stretch unless I pay up many months in advance.

Dutchie

Dutchie, if you rent an apartment from an individual, not a management company, they rarely check your credit. I'm hoping it's the same for a house. Many Europeans or people with poor credit manage to rent here.

Default FREE BREAKFAST AT IKEA!

Perri, you should go on Monday morning. @ikea_sunrise just tweeted this:

FREE Breakfast Starting August 1st Every Monday til 11AM...

Preferred Member

Dutchie, if you rent an apartment from an individual, not a management company, they rarely check your credit. I'm hoping it's the same for a house. Many Europeans or people with poor credit manage to rent here.
    I rented from an individual owner, but cos it's an apartment in a condo with a HOA, I had to go through the whole nine yards of the vetting process plus an interview, and not forgetting the application fees and credit check fees.

Preferred Member

Default Re: FREE BREAKFAST AT IKEA!

Perri, you should go on Monday morning. @ikea_sunrise just tweeted this:
    With that long journey there, it's impossible for me to make it there by 11am.

I wanted to go to the Crayfish party and I was so excited about it, until I saw that IKEA Sunrise is one of the few that are not holding this event. I loved the crayfish parties when I lived in Sweden.

Preferred Member

Yes, my family will join me here somewhere in January; I will move here permanently around October 1st.

(Primary) schools are certainly on my mind.

I have been looking roughly at Country Walk, Cutler Bay and Ridge, Palmetto Bay, and even Pinecrest. It will all depend on affordability, in this case rental, because without credit rating (not bad credit, just no rating yet ) I don't think I can get any form of mortgage. Even renting may be a stretch unless I pay up many months in advance.

Dutchie
    When u get your social security number, apply for a credit card immediately. Use less than 30% of the credit limit every month and pay in full every month. This will help you to start building a credit history. If you have a job contract that shows job security and a good stable monthly income, and the owners/HOA know that you just came to the US, they are likely to overlook the lack of a credit history. Recommendation letters from your employer/boss will help too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast