Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Preferred Member

Default Is a humidifier needed in the winter?

I'm preparing for my move and deciding on what to bring with me and what to toss...

Is there ever a need for a humidifer during the winter? I mean like during the colder months, do u have to switch on the heater all day all night (which in this case, I would need a humidifier)? I guess my question is how much heater usage do u need during the "winter", how long is "winter" over there and is the cold continuous?

btw, is there a way for me to get to Ikea from Coral Gables via public transport, excluding taxi? and how long would that take?

Thanks.

Perri,

It is very rare to have to turn on the heat in Miami ever. There may be a few days of cold that you might want it on, but usually we're fine without it.

As for Ikea, I'm sorry but as the queen of public transport here in Miami, that is a journey even I wouldn't undertake. Isn't it in Broward county? It's bad enough trying to get to Miami from the Gables, let alone another county. My advice is shop online.

Default Re: Is a humidifier needed in the winter?

You can generally leave the humidifier wherever you are. But if you have an infant, you may have periods (not days on end) where you might want the heat on and a humidifier may be handy.

If you are coming from a cold climate, you can get through the Winter months with a comforter no problem. It's usually perfect sleeping weather. The Winter here is unbelievably gorgeous!

Sorry no public transit to IKEA, but how would you lug all that stuff anyway? Just sayin'. Come on down!

~Mike

Perri,

If anything, you'll get a lot of use out of a de-humidifier. I find that sometimes I have to turn the air on when I'm not cold, just to get the moisture out of the air. Like Jess said, there aren't too many cold days in Miami. I had to use the heat for one week in the winter but that's it.

Preferred Member

Many thanks for your quick answers.

It seems that I won't be needing my flannel bed sheets as well? Winter over there sounds lovely. Yeah!

Not everything I want from Ikea can be bought online. Thus, I have to get to the store. I will be using its delivery services, so I only need to get myself there and back. The nearest Ikea is in Sunrise. I guess I'll have to make an adventure day out of it. Perhaps I can take the metrorail/bus as far as I can towards it and then hop into a cab. Or maybe I can hitch a ride from someone who drives to (near) that area for work, and then hop into a cab.
    Last edited by Perri; 07-21-2011 at 01:48 PM.

I can't remember ever turning on the heat. Even during the 2 or 3 really chilly days.

I think the humidity in Miami is great, my reptiles always love it, it is only a nuisance for the desert reptiles. But if the hummidity is too low in any oftheir tanks I just have to open the window for about an hour or an hour and a half and they are all back at 50-65% humidity.

Perri, ditto on what everyone else. Toss the humidifier.

Cab fare to Ikea would be astronomical! Bite the bullet and rent a car.

I've also asked Michelle to chime in here on private transportation services.

Another option is getting to Sawgrass Mills Mall on a shuttle but then you'd have to do the bus or cab thing to IKEA. Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Renting a car or using private transport would be a good investment considering it's not something you have to do every day.

Hi Perri,

To answer your question about transportation, Miami Beach 411 offers private transportation for $210.60, round trip (including gratuity for the driver).

Another option is a bus called the Sawgrass Express that departs from Downtown Miami hotels everyday. If you don't mind spending the day shopping, I believe they offer the round trip bus service for $25 per person. You would still have to get from Coral Gables to Downtown and from Sawgrass Mills to Ikea. However, if cost is a factor, this may be less expensive.

Regarding your main question, a humidifier is NEVER needed in Miami, even when you put the heat on. I am the type of person that gets off a plane in CT and I immediately start drying up (like instantaneous). In Miami, I never feel dry. Hope this helps!

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Perri, ditto on what everyone else. Toss the humidifier.

Cab fare to Ikea would be astronomical! Bite the bullet and rent a car.

I've also asked Michelle to chime in here on private transportation services.

Another option is getting to Sawgrass Mills Mall on a shuttle but then you'd have to do the bus or cab thing to IKEA. Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Renting a car or using private transport would be a good investment considering it's not something you have to do every day.
    yes, the humidifier is in the toss list now.

I can't drive, so renting a car isn't an option.

I called the Ikea store at Sunrise, but they don't take orders on the phone...

I checked the mass rapid transit website and it gave me public transportation directions. On a weekday, a one-way trip takes about 2 1/2 hours to get there. I will do this, unless there is a shuttle to Sawgrass Mills Mall from Coral Gables. Is Sawgrass Mills Mall very near to Ikea?

According to Google, Sawgrass is about 3 miles from IKEA.

See if Sawgrass Express won't drop you off at IKEA? Won't hurt to ask.

Did you end up renting an apartment near campus? Sawgrass Express picks up at the Epic Hotel. You can get there via the Metrorail and switch to metromover at the Brickell station. You will have to walk a wee bit from whatever metromover stop you take.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Hi Perri,

To answer your question about transportation, Miami Beach 411 offers private transportation for $210.60, round trip (including gratuity for the driver).

Another option is a bus called the Sawgrass Express that departs from Downtown Miami hotels everyday. If you don't mind spending the day shopping, I believe they offer the round trip bus service for $25 per person. You would still have to get from Coral Gables to Downtown and from Sawgrass Mills to Ikea. However, if cost is a factor, this may be less expensive.

Regarding your main question, a humidifier is NEVER needed in Miami, even when you put the heat on. I am the type of person that gets off a plane in CT and I immediately start drying up (like instantaneous). In Miami, I never feel dry. Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the info, Michelle. Yes, cost is a major factor - that's why I am buying furniture from Ikea. I will take public transportation.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    According to Google, Sawgrass is about 3 miles from IKEA.

See if Sawgrass Express won't drop you off at IKEA? Won't hurt to ask.

Did you end up renting an apartment near campus? Sawgrass Express picks up at the Epic Hotel. You can get there via the Metrorail and switch to metromover at the Brickell station. You will have to walk a wee bit from whatever metromover stop you take.
    Yes, I rented an apartment near campus. And it has what I wanted - hardwood floors and a bathtub. Taking the shuttle also entails a few "carrier" changes... I'll compare this to taking public transport all the way.

Perri, have you looked at other furniture stores? I thought about going with ikea, but in reality, it ended up being no less than a regular furniture store. I'm not sure what your budget is, but take a look at City Furniture.

When I first got here, I bought all my stuff there. I have no car so I took the bus to the their North Miami location, bought what I needed, and they delivered everything to me the later that day (I went early in the morning so I was able to get same day delivery, free).

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo71 View Post
    Perri, have you looked at other furniture stores? I thought about going with ikea, but in reality, it ended up being no less than a regular furniture store. I'm not sure what your budget is, but take a look at City Furniture.

When I first got here, I bought all my stuff there. I have no car so I took the bus to the their North Miami location, bought what I needed, and they delivered everything to me the later that day (I went early in the morning so I was able to get same day delivery, free).
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check out City Furniture.

IKEA is out of the way even of you DO have a car..... i went over there last year when i stayed in a temporary apartment, and was very glad i had my own car - would not have wanted to undertake that trip in a taxi (as everyone else said here)......

i just (finally!) got here for my permanent move and IKEA is #1 on my list as well - i find that they do have very good prices compared to other furniture, plus i like that very plain simple clean style better than any other furniture so that's where i'll be going too.... as soon as i find a place to live! hehe

Hi Catt! Actually, I advised against a taxi.

IKEA is far relative to where you live. If you're in west Broward, it's not so bad. I'm mentioning that because I don't want our readers from all over South Florida who aren't familiar with the area to get confused.

Actually, I went to Sawgrass Mills on Wednesday and getting back to South Miami was easy peasy on 75 to the Palmetto. It's a great alternative to I-95.

Quote Originally Posted by Perri View Post
    Yes, I rented an apartment near campus. And it has what I wanted - hardwood floors and a bathtub. Taking the shuttle also entails a few "carrier" changes... I'll compare this to taking public transport all the way.
    Congrats on finding a good apartment!

Do you mean a wheelchair carrier?

Preferred Member

Hi Maria,

I was at a loss of which word to use for the category of Metrorail, Tri-Rail and bus and somehow only the word "carrier" came to my mind. LOL. I guess the phrase is mode of transport?

Going via public transport all the way meant a trip that involves (1) Metrorail to (2) Tri-Rail to (3) bus, and then (4)on foot for 0.7 miles (or cab).

If I use the shuttle route, it's still gonna be (1) Metrorail to (2) Metromover to (3) shuttle, and then (4) cab for 3 miles.

The shuttle route is gonna be at least twice as expensive. The shuttle may take a slightly shorter time, but the slight time savings is not worth the extra expense to me since I'm gonna waste that day anyway...

Hi Catt,

I also like the clean lines of Ikea stuff, and for this kind of modern look, it tends to be more expensive elsewhere. The quality elsewhere may be better, but Ikea's is what I can afford at the moment. Btw, the 2012 catalogue is out already.

oh, yes maria, sorry -- that was a dangling participle/misplaced modifier on my end ... i meant that i agreed with what you and others said here when you advised against a taxi.

and yes perri, before i moved out of my old apartment up North i got the new catalogue.... too bad i had to recycle it immediately as i was moving out, hehe. But that's OK i will see what's new in the store, in person, soon enough!
    Last edited by Catt; 07-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast