Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Advice to a guy who will live in miami for a year

Hello All,
    I will attend a portfolio school at Alton Road Miami Beach.(Flamingo)
    I have some questions about miami. If you care to answer, i will be very glad.
    1- Where should i rent room-house around 600dolars?(most near to school etc.)
    2-Can i live without that much struggle with 2000 dolars?
    3- What are the places i should avoid going-renting?(ghetto like)
    4- What is the estimated travel time between miami beach and downtown or brickell ave?
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi, in order to figure out your budget, it's important to first consider all your current expenses. Do you have a car payment you have to make? Credit card bills?

Generally, you need three times your monthly rent to get by, assuming you don't have a lot of debt. So if you find a room for $600, you should make at least $1800 a month.

It sounds like South Beach would be the most convenient area for you to live in. There is no real ghetto part, although it's best to stick to the western half of the island, because the eastern side gets all the tourist congestion. Downtown and Brickell are about 10 minutes' drive.

Making 3 times your monthly rent is a great rule of thumb but most people spend half of their income on rent/mortgage payments.

registereduser (love your screen name)! You should try to get a place in SoBE with a roomate. That would be your best bet.

New User

Default Re: Advice to a guy who will live in miami for a year

Thank you Christy and Doug,
    It is gonna be like that I talked with my mom and she said that we can afford 850 for rent (condo room with room mate or single if i can(flamingo-mirador etc.) and i will have 1900 for personal needs like food,transport. Is this enough for one that also knows how to cook?