we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug
  • 1 Post By marrio10

Thread: Planning to Move to Miami from Maryland

New User

Default Planning to Move to Miami from Maryland

Hello all,

I'm a new member to Miami Beach 411. I just visited Miami for the first time and I love it there. The atmosphere is so much different than what I'm used to at home (I live in Baltimore, Maryland). So I'm really considering moving to Miami (I'm sure you guys get that alot around here ).

However I'm a student and I'm going to school for computer software engineering, I have 2 years left of school before i recieve my BA Degree. I plan on finishing school here in Maryland before I move depending on what options I may have in Florida.

So I guess my questions are............

1. how is the job market there in Miami for my field of study?

2. how are the schools down there? (In case I maybe decide to finish my schooling in Miami)

3. What are some of the best areas to live in, what are the prices like?

4. As a single mixed male (black/indian) what is the best area for me if I'm looking for women? (no race in particular, I love all ppl )

Thanks
    Marrio

Hi Marrio, welcome to 411.

I don't know too much about your field but the job market in miami is pretty tough as many people wish to live here and move here looking for work. Do you speak Spanish at all?

We have some good schools in Miami, UM being the top one. Tuition is expensive if you are from out of state though.

Popular areas to live in are miami Beach, in particluar South Beach, Coconut Grove, Brickell and Coral Gables. If you are looking to meet women, South Beach is the best place... if you are looking to meet real women, form a relationship etc, then South Beach is the worst place...

New User

Hi Jess,

Thanks for the info, as far as my ability to speak Spanish I would say that I'm at a beginners level. I know basic communication and a few other words, but I'm far from being able to speak it fluently, but I definitely want to improve.

At least you can spell definitely right. That should give you an advantage over the vast majority of the local population!
    Catt likes this.

New User

Thanks Doug that's awesome to know, but honestly thats probably the first time in my life that I spelled that right without using spellcheck lol.
    Doug likes this.

Hi marrio10,

Welcome to MB411!

Computers is always an excellent field for work. I know someone who lives in Miami and Atlanta part time and mostly flys around installing computer software for companies. A great idea for you would be to do a "Miami Study Abroad". Being in college here will give you a sense of the job market (maybe you can intern at a local company), you'll be able to make friends/date easier in college, and best of all if you don't like Miami, just transfer back to Boston.

New User

Hi Christy,

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the "Miami Study Abroad" that you mentioned do you have any other info about that, and does anyone know about any possible housing plans some of the colleges have here in Miami.

Marrio

There is no Miami Study Abroad program. You would do it on your own..apply and transfer to a school here, and if you like it stay, if not move back to Boston. Make sure your credits will transfer back though.

I just made it up bc you know how you can do a Study Abroad in Spain, England, France?

New User

Ok I got ya, yeah that sounds like a good idea. I plan on doing more research so I can explore all of my options. Where would you say is the most reasonable place to rent if I'm attending school and working a job at the sametime? This would be working a job that's gonna help me pay the bills, not particularly in my field of study just something until I finish school or I find a better job. If you know the price ranges that would be helpful as well.

Thanks for all your help

South Beach has the greatest amount of apartment stock, so I find the rents tend to be competitive with the other nice areas of the city. The biggest factor would be where you're going to school and where you're working, so you can avoid having to drive any more than you have to. Traffic is pretty intense in Miami!

New User

Yes I hear that traffic in Miami can be a pain, well I would really hope to find a place to stay somewhere close to school and work. Are there any schools in SoBe?

New User

So I was looking up some school's in the area, and I'm currently looking into Florida International University and from I've read it sounds like it's a good school. Does anyone hear know anything more about it like how far it is from the city, does anyone have any personal experiences there, and is it hard or easy to get accepted?

Thanks

I graduated from FIU in 1994 with a degree in journalism. It was a good school back then. It's much better now.

The main campus is the south campus and that is near Sweetwater, off 107 ave and southwest 8 st. You can get there in 30 minutes from downtown on a good way with no traffic, but it can take much longer than that on bad days.

Then there is the north campus where the journalism and hospitality students go. That's off 135th St and Biscayne. You can get there in 30 minutes from downtown on a good day without traffic.

Driving from one campus to the other might take up almost an hour.

I don't think it's hard to get accepted. They accepted me and I was a huge slacker at the time. Maybe things have changed, but it's our largest university down here, so it doesn't look like they turn that many people away.
    Last edited by Carlos Miller; 08-02-2011 at 12:54 AM.

New User

Cool . The school sounds really good, would you happen to know if they will accept an Associates degree from a school in another state?

For sure. I transferred there with an AA from Miami-Dade, which is across town, but they accept students from all over the world, hence the name, Florida International University.

What would you be majoring in?

New User

I'm majoring in Computer Science

New User

Ok so I've been doing some reading and I just wanted to know, Is it true that you absolutely need to know how to speak spanish is Miami...

No you do not 100% need to know. But it definitely helps.