Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Thread: Moving to miami

New User

Default Moving to miami

Hey so i am moving to miami end of september.
    I am 20 years old and i know in the states its 21. Can you still enter clubs or places if you just dont drink?

I am also moving to miami because i want to learn spanish and i would love to work in a hotel as a front desk concierge or even as a bank teller.
    are these jobs possible or hard to get.

also, i am a very secular jew and would love to meet people from my community! i am moving and o not know a single soul out in miami!

as for transportation growing up in the east coast i do not own a license and grew up taking public transportation. i know miami has that train( is it good)
    also can buses take you from one neighborhood to another like how is it..is it confusing?

thanks !

Hi Melody, welcome!

21 is the drinking age, and to even go into a club, you would need to be at least 21. There are a few places like Mango's Tropical Cafe where they serve food and let you go in if you're younger. There is an 18 and over club downtown, Club Space.

Mid-Beach is very Jewish. You will see a lot of Orthodox Jews there, but there are secular Jews mixed in. Of course, there are plenty of secular Jews all over Miami Beach, but the Mid-Beach around Arthur Godfrey Rd is very Jewish!

I'm not familiar with the requirements for bank tellers, although I would imagine you'd have to have a college degree. Front desk personnel at hotels aren't as fussy about your educational background, but they want you to be familiar with their computer programs. So most of the ads I've seen ask for people with experience in that area.

Public transportation in Miami is very limited. There is the Metro-Rail, but it doesn't cover a very large are of the city. If you live anywhere other than South Beach, chances are you'll need a car.

New User

Default Re: Moving to miami

Thanks.
    Well right now i work for telesales and i sell it software and software sollutions to american companies and i deal with CFOs,CIO, CEOs etc so my next question is, in miami are there any jobs that have telesales(calling people over the phone, selling) that isnt a scam? I think a front desk concierge would be great because i love assisting people and i deal with people on a day to day basis. Is it hard to get a job in a hotel and is it hard finding telesales jobs or any other jobs(working in a tanning salon etc?

You can find a bank teller job without a degree, but it really doesn't pay much

New User

thanks...like how much do you think?
    im not expecting to make a career just a job with good hours and enough to get by for rent and food

I always throw the idea of the restaurant industry out there. Keep that in mind.

A concierge has to be an expert - a thoroughly knowledgable resource, about everything in their given local area: tourism information, directions, know all the restaurants, clubs and bars, the types of food/drinks served at each, which are the best restaurants in every price-range, which are the hot clubs on which nights, either the ones on the street or at which hotels, know the dress codes, location, and atmosphere of each one, any admission costs or cover charges - and also know and be able to discern the differences between all of them, in order to be able to direct guests appropriately.... must know all sporting events, teams, & venues & how to get to them... all the shopping areas and how to get to them.... must know the local public transportation system inside and out.... know all the different beaches, where they are, and what types of activities are available at each one... and probably most important - know the right people in the area, and all the tricks, and have good contacts, to get the best reservations, tickets, tours, service, etc, for their hotel guests. That kinda knowledge & experience, and building the contacts and relationships you need to get stuff done, usually takes years -

so keep in mind to do a concierge job you really have to be in a place for a good while to become an expert in all the ins-and-outs of a place; as well become well-versed in the myriad of other various and sundry things guests will want, need, or ask for regarding a locality - and be able to do all of it from an "insider's" point of view

Not intending to squash your enthusiasm, but realistically, it's not really a job for a new resident to any location. Generally speaking, hotels don't typically hire someone new to an area for a concierge position - it's a job one is able to do successfully only after they've lived in a place for a good while, at least a year; and actively studying and seeking out local information of all kinds -

As a newcomer, a better position to apply for would be as a regular front-desk clerk, or even in hotel or tour company reservations; your telesales experience would be good for reservations/sales positions -
    Last edited by Catt; 08-01-2011 at 09:46 PM.

New User

no it is not squashing my enthusiasm i really needed an honest opinion.
    i thought concierge and front desk clerk were the same but yes i will be looking for that type of job as for tour company reservations what exactly is that?

ah, OK, i see. but yes a 'concierge' is a separate job; that's a person who provides specialized/personalized guest information & services. A front-desk clerk or attendant is the person who works behind the front desk, receives incoming guests, does check-ins, assigns rooms, addresses basic guest issues, etc. I agree, that would be a good position for you -

Reservations jobs can be several types - working in a tour company office; you'd perhaps be attending a retail counter or desk; answering phones, explaining the tours/activities offerred, and making the reservations; possibly processing payments, and/or confirmations and/or issuing tickets for the tours they buy; or possibly just entering all the reservation info into the computer systems for other employees to do the ticketing.

Another type of reservations agent is a phone job; either for a hotel, or possibly for a tour company, airline, or even a sightseeing cruise (really anything that requires reservations be made), doing basically the same types of things ... taking reservations & doing confirmations - but on the phones instead of in-person.

For these kinds of jobs you still need good 'people' skills, and a bit of sales-type skill & experience, but you won't need the detailed local-area expertise that a concierge must have. And since you have phone experience, something like that might be a good position for you

New User

thanks catt,

i love the idea of being a reservations agent..do you know where i should look for these jobs around miami beach (ill be in sobe)?

i'm speaking "in general" - can't speak with any authority on *where* or *if* there are specific available openings in these types of jobs.... i'm a new resident here myself. but my guess is, (with 15 years of hotel/tour/travel experience it's somewhat of an educated guess - but still only a guess cause my experience is not in Miami) - that with high season coming up, there may be these kinds of positions available around town, in various tourism-related businesses.

Once you get here, look around, check everything out in your area, seek out info for hotels and/or business that look good to you; go online and check the career/employment sections of their websites. For airlines you can look now, before you get here; on their websites you can search job openings by city. (theoretically i suppose you could do that for hotels as well, but at the moment there's probably not much since it's summer). I don't really know how useful the newspaper classified sections are here; others can come in and advise on that

and of course, if you want to work in the hospitality industry, the sooner you start learning to speak Spanish the better -- and if you can speak any other language(s) too, that is also a general plus -

good luck!
    Last edited by Catt; 08-02-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Hi Melody! Welcome to the forums! You mentioned you grew up on the east coast but you list your current location as Montreal ... just curious are you a citizen or resident of the country? If not, that will affect what you can actually do here. You won't be able to work on a tourist visa.

That being said, if you are French Canadian you might consider looking at hospitality businesses in Hollywood, Florida as there is a Canadian tourist community there.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Hi Melody! Welcome to the forums! You mentioned you grew up on the east coast but you list your current location as Montreal ... just curious are you a citizen or resident of the country? If not, that will affect what you can actually do here. You won't be able to work on a tourist visa.

That being said, if you are French Canadian you might consider looking at hospitality businesses in Hollywood, Florida as there is a Canadian tourist community there.
    Hi Maria.
    Well i was born in the states and grew up in Canada. Montreal is on the east coast of canada. So i am american and canadian.
    Is hollywood in miami beach?
    alos, i know miami beach there are different neighborhoods are they easy to jump from southbeach to another neighborhood by bus?

Hi Melody ... then you should be ok as far as working legally is concerned.

Hollywood is not in Miami Beach. It's in Broward County, about 30 minutes - 1 hour north of Miami Beach, depending on your route and traffic.

Miami Beach is a pretty long island. Municipal buses take you from point a to point b, just like anywhere else in the county. Collins and Harding Avenue are the main thoroughfares that go north to south and there are buses that traverse these.

In South Beach, there is a more "local" bus that loops around particular areas. But this bus will not take you to mid or north beach.

I put together a map of Miami Beach neighborhoods that might help orient you: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...9b4d6240&msa=0